“Decent but Lackluster”

Ranked #24 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
USA
“Decent but Lackluster”
Reviewed 16 September 2005

This hotel is an OK place for a day or two. Staff is very friendly but hotel and rooms are rather dreary. Housekeeping was fine except for mildew in shower. I don't know why hotel can't invest in a bottle of chlorine bleach and remove that. Breakfast is OK but not memorable. Unlike most of their competition in the area, there is no evening cocktail reception at this hotel. Unless you get a real good price, I would recommend looking elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2005, travelled on business
2 Thank 1NicePerson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 13 July 2005

The rooms are tiny. This is okay for 2 people, but any more and you'll be cramped.
The place is very clean.
The night ladies are very professional. The guy behind the desk in the morning was lost.
The pool is adequate.
Military planes are taking off constantly, but I only noticed when I was outside.
The free breakfast had a variety of milk, with sausage and eggs and the usual fare. The metal silverware was a plus.
The location is close to the Interstate, but not close to much else, but it doesn't take long to get anywhere.
At $94 for a Monday night during the summer, I thought it was a little expensive.

• Stayed July 2005
1 Thank MillsMC
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 March 2005

Hampton Inn was ok but don't take any teenagers. If any thing happens or goes wrong they will get blamed. The beds are the worst if you get a box bed. Rooms are only big enough for three people.

• Stayed March 2005
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 March 2005

I stayed at the Hampton Inn Charleston Airport and had a very pleasant stay. The staff was courteous and helpful. The room was excetionally clean and comfortable and the wireless internet access was great. They serve a hot and cold continental breakfast which was great. Excellent variety of choices and everything was fresh and well presented. They also maintain a supply of coffee nearly around the clock. In the evening they have fresh baked cookies and hot coffee or tea. What a great welcome after returning from a long day. It is located near the airport and most of North Charleston isn't the most picturesgue. But downtown, historical Chaeleston is only a 15 minute drive away. The only drawback was that the military jets at the nearby Air Force Base take off and land virtually around the clock. But that is true at most airport vacinity hotels.

• Stayed March 2005, travelled on business
1 Thank PhillyCityDweller
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 21 March 2005

Once in another city, the desk clerk at a Hampton Inn had asked how my mother had slept, and she said, "Okay, but the bed was a little hard." He said, "Since you weren't 100% satisfied, we will give you your room free." That kind of attitude made my mother want to stay at Hampton Inns whenever she got the chance. That turned out to be a huge mistake in this case.

The lobby is nice, but our room was tiny and filled with smoke even though we had reserved a non-smoking room. We had called just 45 minutes before our arrival and were assured that we would be given the last non-smoking room, and therefore cancelled reservations at other hotels and drove to the Hampton Inn. As we checked in, the lady at the desk said that there were no non-smoking rooms left. We showed her our confirmation number and told her that they had just said that we were getting the last one and we had cancelled reservations at other hotels since they had told us this. (This was a very busy weekend in Charleston, and now there was no other place for us to go.) It wasn't just that we didn't like the smell of smoke, it was that it was dangerous for us to be in that environment for any length of time since we are both allergic to smoke, and I have asthma.

She said she would send someone up with an ionizer to help clear the room of some of the smoke, but we had to be out of the room when it was done. This was at 2:45 in the afternoon. We went up to shower and change, and then at 3:30 pm went back to the desk to let them know that we would be out of the room for several hours so please send up the ionizer now. At 9pm we called to make sure they were finished. They told me that they didn't remember us asking to do it, and they would do it right away. We stayed out an extra couple of hours so that they could finish. At 11 pm we walked into our room and were hit by a wall of smoke. Neither of us had ever been in a place where the smell of smoke was so overpowering--including smoke-filled bars! We called the front desk. The woman gave us the run around and changed her story countless times, and then actually yelled at us! We politely said that we had reserved a non-smoking room, and since we didn't get it even though we reserved it, we had asked for them to send up something to filter the air THREE times since that afternoon, and now it was after midnight, and since we were sitting there with towels over our faces to try to keep from choking (it didn't help much) would they at least honor the 100% guarantee that is prominantly displayed on all of their literature and not charge us for the room? She said no. In fact, she said they had already charged our credit card. If we still thought we had a chance to get our money back, we would have to take it up with their headquarters, and file a complaint! Finally after several phone calls to their 800 number (where the people were appalled at the attitude of the woman at our hotel), a night full of coughing fits in which I had to get up and walk in the hall several times to get a little bit of oxygen, someone slid our bill under the door that said that we wouldn't have to pay for the room. By that time, after the stress caused by their horrendous customer service, the lack of sleep, and how sick we were both feeling, I felt like they should pay us for staying there!

Stayed March 2005
4 Thank Lily318
Columbia, S.C.
Reviewed 7 March 2005

I still can't believe people pay more than $100 a night for stuffy service and not-the-best rooms, when there's the Hampton Inn. I've stayed in several and this one was still fabulous. We just came back Saturday night.

My *only* major complaint: The only reason why I'm not giving it a 5 is because our bathtub needed a better plug. After a 5-minute shower, the water was up to my ankles. This was forgotten when the shower massage head came on. Wow.

I really wanted to impress my guy - he's a surfer and is more into camping. My first indication that this was going to be a nice stay was when I made the reservation online and called later. The front desk person sounded a bit hurried, but I am proud to say that when I called her and told her we would be arriving after 8 p.m., she quickly told us no problem.

I'm still amazed that, even after arriving at 9 p.m., I was greeted with a smile. (So far, no problems with billing) I mistakenly chose a single instead of a double, and she was quick to locate one for me, but since it was smoking, I declined it. She asked her manager about putting a roll-away in our room, and we were allowed to. The bed arrived about 5 minutes after arriving.

I realized when I walked in why she had to ask - we had been given a room for people who use wheelchairs. The bathroom was MONSTROUS and surprisingly, very clean. I am *extremely* particular about clean and dirty thing...especially bathrooms, and I felt comfortable walking barefoot on the tile and in the tub. The "single" bed actually fit me and my guy pretty well (he refused to sleep in the rollaway...:) )

Everything about the room seemed just right - we had a nice TV, a radio and an extra chair. The beds (even the rollaway) or turned down slightly, and there are a few mints waiting for you on the pillow.

The next morning, I was surprised to find out that, even if you hit the continental breakfast right when it's over, you can still come away with some good stuff. They provide a good variety of foods for free - sausage, toast, bagels, french toast sticks, biscuits. Because I came late, I didn't try any of the hot stuff. I got a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, some canned fruit, a bagel and some apple juice and felt quite satisfied.

Those who wonder about housekeeping will find this amusing - I forgot to put my "do not disturb" sign out and was surprised when a maid came into my room at promptly 9 a.m.! I am still completely amazed they start cleaning the rooms that early. That's pretty darn cool, even if she did catch me dressing. :)

The hotel is about a 7-minute drive to downtown (about 15 from Folly Beach, where my guy went surfing). It's so close to the airport, you can hear planes passing over, but it wasn't much of a nuisance. It's also near the performing arts center.

I didn't get to check out all the amenities, but there was a pool, and I've come to enjoy the fact that at every one I've stayed in there's a computer there - FOR FREE. Yes, you can do word processing and surf the Web for free. I couldn't believe it - still don't. But double check to be sure there is one at this location. There is FREE high-speed internet access in the rooms, which is a nice perk for laptop-users.

Everything about my stay there was just right - the room, the service and the food. Please, next time you make plans to visit Charleston, forget the expensive downtown places...the Hampton Inn downtown I'm sure is nice, but you'll pay twice as much.... and try the Hampton Inn - North Chas.

• Stayed March 2005