“Great hospitality & nice room”

Holiday Inn Express Charleston North
Ranked #24 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I chose this hotel because it was very close to my nephew's apartment. He was stationed at Goose Creek for Nuke school and was in the area for 1 yr and almost 8 months. In that time I have tried out a number of hotels and a vacation rental. Then this trip I found this Holiday Inn.
Angelique at the front desk was so nice and helpful at all times. The first evening I happened upon the happy hour in the dining area and met some nice people and Brenda (in charge of the Dining Room) who was so friendly and took care of everybody. Since I was the only one there for a little while she took the time to talk and tell me about the next mornings breakfast. Which turned out quite good. There was an amazing selection of items both mornings I was there. Brenda and Angelique always made a point to recognize me and say hello when I was coming and going. My next stay will definitely be here.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We were pleased to find a large, clean room with nice furnishings. It was very quiet, and the staff was pleasant. The breakfast offered a variety of delicious foods. The only problem was that it was so popular, we had to take our food back to our room one morning because there was no available seating. Other mornings, I saw other people doing the same. We were a short drive from area attractions. We were very pleased with the value for the price. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sugar_rush_76
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My stay at this hotel was by far one of the best hotel experiences I have had lately. I chose this Holiday Inn as the host hotel for my family reunion. My family and guest was treated very well by the staff and management. Management and staff was warm, friendly and courteous and went out of the way to welcome my family and make them feel as comfortable as possible. They were very attentive to everyone's needs and was willing to assist me in any way possible to make my family reunion a pleasant experience for me and my guest. The location, price, hot breakfast, manager's reception and meeting room availability along with other amenities were all excellent. I will definitely place this hotel at the top of my

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We are here for business but taking the opportunity to see nearby Charleston and it's coastal beaches. It is about 20 minutes to the city and 30 to several beach options. The North Charleston area is nice but we have been busy with more tourist activities. The hotel is clean and the staff has been friendly. The breakfast is good and we have enjoyed the pool which is also clean and well maintained. We are very pleased with this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Shelly G
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Warm greeting upon check in. We wanted a top floor room but was warned the construction workers were there and noisy. I think they were only noisy in the early evening since gone all day.
Do not stay in room 107 next to housekeeping room, ice machine, and lobby, lots of noise! 5:30 a.m. the ice machine used to fill the big ice chests for the construction workers. If you leave early and don't come back till evening this part won't matter to you, but I worked in the room on my computer listening to the constant bang of the housekeeping door, large carts banging into the wall, washing machine running, radio playing, one morning even a leaf blower going right outside my window at 8:15 a.m. so don't think your going to sleep late if in this room or the one across the hall. Water pressure was lacking and the shower head that has three settings doesn't do the job.

Positives on this hotel it was clean, I mean everything was super clean and I loved it. Even our tub had a gleam to it. I didn't request daily cleaning, I would give my used towels and trash to the very warm housekeeping lady who was very accommodating. Even the breakfast area was constantly cleared and cleaned up and refilled by the smiling kitchen genies. All employees say hello and smile something you don't get in New Orleans where we live. Free paper each day in the lobby has the TV guide in it something I wish we knew the first day since programs come on at a different time than at home. TV was very slow to change channels but with the channel guide located by the TV that helped.

Location: there are all sorts of places to eat in walking distance, with a small convenience store at the Hess station if you need something more or want to brown bag lunch during the day they sell boxed sandwiches etc. They also have a Godfather's Pizza in there sells by the slice.

During the evening the hotel has managers happy hour which they serve beer on tap and wine, with some munchies and something in a chafing dish. We did not partake since we normally have a cup of coffee and talk about our day, we also had a friend meet us at 5:00 p.m. before going to dinner. The first night the lovely lady asked if we wanted wine of which we declined and the TV was off making it a comfortable place to sit and chat while we had our coffee. The second night a man was setting up, the coffee had not been replaced it was cold and I had mentioned this to him upon which he replied he would make a pot. We waited and he never made the pot. He continued setting up and when finished turned the TV up high with sports on it for himself not a customer. Our friend then showed up at 5:00 so we just left no coffee not conversation we felt run out of the area. The last night a huge family was meeting up and they didn't quite understand you do not put your hands into the community bowl you use the large ladle to get the items and use the small dishes to carry the food. Not the hotels fault the customers fault geesh!

I have to say I did not complain to the manager, some reason it just sounds like whining when you do so I hope they see this since they have such a great establishment, only a few small issues that could be taken care of easily. That managers happy hour please leave the TV off if people want to watch TV they can go to their rooms where they can pick what they watch.

Thank you for the nice stay.

Room Tip: 107 is noisy due to housekeeping next door, ice machine, and lobby.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MikeandBushy H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston North, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear MikeandBushy H,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comprehensive review about your recent visit. I am glad that you had a good check-in experience and you found our property to be clean. I sincerely regret if the noise levels were a disappointment.

Despite this, we're happy that overall you had a good stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in our establishment!

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Everything about our stay at this hotel was exceptional. Checking in was a breeze as was checking out. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The complimentary breakfast was well stocked with something for everyone. There were heavier items like meat, eggs, biscuits and gravy but also lighter options like oatmeal with raisins and walnuts and toast. There was construction on a building next door and the workers were staying at our hotel but that was never an issue. When I look at reviews for hotels the most important thing I look for is the cleanliness of the hotel and the rooms. Even though this hotel is not downtown Charleston, the drive is only 15 minutes and much quieter. Lots of restaurants within 100 yards and just off Interstate about 1/2 mile. This hotel meet all of our expectations and deserves a SUPERB rating!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mark11505
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

The staff was great and the complimentary breakfast had a lot of options! Our room was spacious, clean and modern. It's a good location, close to a dunkin donuts, a nice deli, etc but a little bit of a drive from downtown charleston. Overall great value!

• Stayed: July 2014