Best Western Plus Airport Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites Airport Convention Center(North Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$129
US$116
Travelocity
Great 4.5/5
SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate(North Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$86
Good 3.5/5
US$180
TripAdvisor
Great 4.5/5
Hyatt Place North Charleston(North Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$124
TripAdvisor
Great 4.5/5
All reviewscracker barrelindoor poolroom was cleanstay there againwafflesshuttle servicefitness centerfront desk staffwould recommend this hotel to anyonehot breakfastfamily reunionfree breakfastminute drivedowntown charlestonihopmotelshampoo
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 May 2012

On the 2nd leg of our trip from the Great Garden State to Hilton Head, SC, we spent a night at the Best Western Airport Motel in North Charleston. It was a 7 ½ hour drive from our previous location in Williamsburg, VA and we arrived late in the day. We booked the reservation online through Orbitz and received an email confirmation of our reservation. Upon plugging the address on our confirmation into the vehicle navigation system, we learned that the street didn’t exist. My guess is that the street didn’t exist in 2008 when my navigator software was installed. (Guess I should have spent the $150 for the updated maps Honda offers.) Anyhow, I called the hotel and was given an alternate address which was close to the motel. The specific directions were “We’re located just behind the Cracker Barrel restaurant.” Given all these hints, we found the motel nestled in a little cul-de-sac with 2 other motels. The lobby was very small. Our first disappointment was that there were none of the usual amenities – no coffee urn, no tea, no newspapers, no cookies. I guess you’d call it bare bones. Upon checking in we had our 2nd disappointment. I was informed that my “Best Western” motel club card was not valid because my reservation was not booked directly. LESSON LEARNED - Apparently if you book through Orbitz, or Expedia or any other similar online service, you cannot accumulate Best Western club points.

The room was clean but had the odor of cleaning materials - kind of a bleach smell. The air conditioning unit seemed to have some kind of governor on it. It was very warm when we arrived. We set the thermostat to 68 degrees to cool the room. Every 10 minutes the unit would shut down and then just as spontaneously, it would turn on a few minutes later. You would think with the thermostat set so low, that it would work continuously. We left it set very low and went out for dinner. Our thinking was that if the room didn’t cool off, we’d ask for a change when we returned from dinner. Upon returning from dinner the room temp was tolerable…but still not down to the setting. We were tired from the long day of driving, and decided it was “good enough.” The next morning we had another “surprise.” The wall mounted hair dryer didn’t work. I went down to the front desk to report the problem and ask for a portable dryer. Good News, Bad News! Yes they had a portable dryer, but we’d have to wait till 8:30 for the housekeeping staff to arrive. They had sole possession of the locked cabinet in which it was kept. Of course that didn’t mesh well with our scheduled early departure. My wife skipped her hair washing and we entered the dining area for our complimentary buffet breakfast. In a word, I would characterize the offering as adequate. There was nothing special about it. The scrambled eggs were cooked dry, there was no yogurt and the fruit salad came from a large can. The most popular item was the make-it-yourself waffle iron. Many people were partaking of that.

In summary, I would not recommend this motel. Though the staff is friendly, they are not particularly accommodating or empowered. (The manager can’t even open the housekeeping cabinet) The amenities were quite sparse and certainly well below those offered by competing motels in the same price range. If you ever happen to find yourself in Room 306 at this motel, send me an email and let me know if the hair dryer was fixed!

For dinner we drove into the tourist area of Charleston. It was about 11 miles and a 20 minute drive from the motel. Upon arriving in Charleston we found a parking lot ($2.00 per hour seems to be the going rate all over town). We walked through the Market Street vending area which is set up like an indoor flea market with numerous interesting vendors selling clothing, jewelry, handicrafts, puzzles, food, etc. Unfortunately we didn’t get there until 4 PM and many of the venders were closing down for the day. Upon the recommendation of one of the vendors, we decided to try a local favorite for dinner. Located on Meeting Street just 2 blocks north of Market Street, Hyman’s restaurant was a short walk from the shopping area. It’s a very popular informal dining establishment with a sterling reputation as one of Charleston’s gems. Its walls are adorned with photos and plaques of the many celebrities they have hosted. I saw a plate signed by Jimmy Buffett and we sat a table that once hosted Yitzhak Pearlman. Hyman’s has been recognized 9-times by Southern Living as one of Charleston’s best. I would characterize it as affordable, informal, down-home, low-country cooking at its finest. With a coupon we received a ½-price dish of exceptionally good, home-made crab dip as an appetizer. This came with a complimentary plate of delicious hush puppies. For entrees, I had their signature fried flounder served with Cole Slaw, French Fries, and more hush puppies. The flounder is scored with a knife, the head removed and the body deep fried (skin and all). Because of the score marks, the fish falls apart with a little nudging from a fork. After you eat one side you turn it over and eat the other. It was an unusual preparation method, a very large and tasty meal. My wife enjoyed some well-made, meaty crab cakes as well as a healthy portion of my flounder. The dinner was delicious. Our server, Ellen, was both attentive and helpful in guiding us through the menu choices. If you’re ever in Charleston, I highly recommend you give Hyman’s a try. I think you’ll find it to be a great value, and a memorable dining experience.

Room Tip: If you're assigned room 306...check to see the air conditioning and the hair dryer are working before getting too comfortable!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Lockport, New York, USA
Reviewed 17 April 2012

My flight was leaving very early, missing the morning breakfast. The front desk agent, Tierra McIntosh brought a assorted tray of breakfast food, beverages, condiments to our room at the end of her shift at 11pm! This service went well beyond her call of duty..

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Most Charleston area hotels were full, or expensive, on the weekend we were there due to some huge event. But we found this one via expedia at an acceptable price. I guess it's close to the airport but more importantly, it's a convenient drive to Charleston via Hwy 26, about 15 minutes since it's just off Route 26. Only hotels and a Cracker Barrel in this location but that was OK.

My GPS could not find it since it did not recognize Prospect St. as an address but I had a google map so that was ok. We were driving home from Florida and wanted a place to sleep before exploring Charleston the next morning.

This hotel seems to be quite new so everything looks nice; our room was nicely furnished and comfortable and clean. Very nice bathroom, lots of towels and toiletries. We did not hear any noise from the hallways. (But our stay was not during a school break and most of the guests seemed to be 60 or older and our room was not near an elevator.) Also, I suspect that familes with children tend to stay in the cheaper motels.

Maybe my five star rating is too high but in the past we stayed at cheaper motels, often older properties. By comparison this one was SO much better in every respect. Breakfast was fine, lots of variety and very good coffee. (Kind of expensive but probably because of the huge demand that weekend for rooms around Charleston.)

I see some reviews mentioning bed bugs and problems checking out. We certainly did not experience anything like that.

Room Tip: As with any hotel, stay on the top floor so you don't get noise from above and get a room far from the elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter_K_B_Toronto
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed for 3 nights during my daughter's spring break. This was our first trip to Charleston. I book this hotel mainly due to an indoor heated pool. That is what my 7 year old looks foreward to the most when we travel. Check-in was a breeze and the room was very large and clean. Went to the pool and it was freezing. Notified front desk staff and were told maintenance would take care of it. Our room was directly across of a fire exit door that did not have a working closure so everytime it would close, it would shake the room. No exaggeration. A call to the desk was met with the same response as the pool; maitenance will fix it. Next day pool was still freezing cold. Notified the desk as we left for the day and that evening nothing had been done. Door was still slamming shut also. Another call to the desk. Maintenance finally came up and propped the FIRE DOOR open with a piece of cardboard.( I have a photo on my phone) Day 3.....Still a frozen pool and no fix to the door. As we checked out I notified the front desk of my disappointment with this facility. She was kind enough to reduce our rate slightly for the 3 nights for which I do appreciate. Still can't figure out why in 3 nights a simple adjustment could not be made to the door and a heater be turned on for the pool. Even the scrolling marquee outside said indoor heated pool. We'll stay elseware next visit.

Room Tip: Check the pool before checking in if you plan on swimming (especially if bringing kids).
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank SmokiesBrynn
Reviewed 1 March 2012

nice hotel very clean and for the most part good staff. Only problem we had during our stay was at check out. Whomever does the scheduling needs to realize that if you have a full house and events going on in the area schedule extra help for Sunday morning when everyone is checking out. One counter person trying to do it all was too much on the employee and caused a little frustration when trying to get on the roads with small children.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family