“Poor WiFi and quite expensive”

Red Roof Inn North Charleston
Ranked #39 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Sydney, Australia
“Poor WiFi and quite expensive”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I found this hotel to be pretty expensive considering it was a pretty simple hotel.

The room was clean and everything in the room worked as expected. I found that the WiFi was terrible and completely unusable.

I don't think I would stay here again unless I got a really cheap rate.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Chiquitta P, General Manager at Red Roof Inn North Charleston, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
My staff and I would like to thank you for sharing your experience. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the Wi-Fi connectivity. I can certainly understand how frustrating that can be. Thank you for bringing that to our attention so that we can properly resolve that issue. It would be our hope that in the future, you will give us another opportunity to better serve you.

Chiquitta Phillips

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Georgia
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The hotel has nice beds, TV's, and water pressure. The overall cleanliness was fair but the cleaning lacked detail. A long black hair adorned the toilet seat upon our arrival to the room and there was a small black hair in the sink. The staff was very friendly and had our room ready an hour before check-in. Also, after the drive we wanted showers so they gave us extra towels, etc.
Reviews that the WIFI is spotty at best are completely accurate. Also, the hotel boasts coffee and iron/ironing boards in the rooms. Ours had neither but we were able to go to the front desk and get the iron/ironing board for the duration of the stay.
There is no pool or breakfast and the amenities are sparse. Yet, if finances dictated, I would not hesitate to stay there again. I never felt unsafe, despite the fact the the doors are outward facing. There was no outside noise but on one occasion, a jumbo jet did take off over head as we were exiting the room. The airport is only a few miles away but if winds prevail in an odd direction, there may be an airplane landing or takeoff overhead.
The location is good for a twenty minute drive into Charleston and a forty-five minute drive to Folly Beach.The hotel is conveniently located to interstate access and there are several food options and a convenience store within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor on the backside of the hotel for the most privacy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Chiquitta P, General Manager at Red Roof Inn North Charleston, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
My staff and I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay. We love hearing guest feedback and positive feedback like yours reassures us that we are giving our customers great service. I am glad that we are able to accommodate your needs with our newly renovated rooms and having nearby attractions at your leisure. I would also like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the Wi-Fi connectivity. I can certainly understand how frustrating that can be. Thank you for bringing that to our attention so that we can properly resolve that issue. I want to thank you again for your positive review and it is our hope that next time you are in Charleston, you will give us the pleasure of serving you.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Being a former resident of the area, I was excited to see the new changes made to the hotel. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed. They over charged my card not once but twice. And their only course of action to fix the problem was to tell me how sorry they were for the inconvenience, but they never really did anything about it. Yes, they have done a great job remodeling the rooms but their housekeeping staff is lacking. The bedspreads were stained, the carpeted area by the bed was only vacuumed in the visible areas (looked under the bed for my daughters ball..disgusting), we killed two roaches in our room that we saw near the microwave are. They only supplied towels to the room for two adults even though the room accommodated 4 (we were 3) and the lock on my door malfunctioned the whole weekend. The only amenities available in my "deluxe" room were a microwave and fridge. No iron, coffee maker, blow dryer or anything of the sort. There was nothing deluxe about it. They only served hot coffee in the morning, no cereal or anything simple just coffee.And the police were called to the hotel twice during my stay. The t.v. and use of the internet was great and all the extra outlets were on the spot too! Also, there seemed to be a lot of people "living" at this hotel. If you are in a pinch I would say go for it but if your planning a trip ahead, try the Mt. Pleasant location or another hotel brand altogether.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
I want to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay to North Charleston. I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. Our goal is to exceed expectations and in this case we were not 100% in ensuring you were satisfied. We take any complaints about the quality of our rooms and the service we provide very seriously, so I just want you to know that I am very disappointed that you did not receive excellent service during your visit. I can understand your frustration of not having the amenities that you require. I do want to inform you that we offer select rooms that include the micro/ fridges, iron and ironing boards, in-room coffee, and a hair dryer. For future references, those rooms are called our “superior king rooms” and are offered for the same price as the deluxe doubles.

I would also like to thank you for bringing the door lock and Wi-Fi issues to my attention so that I can properly get those issues resolved. I apologize for the inconvenience you had to experience due to the Wi-Fi not working properly as well as the deadbolt not engaging. It is never our intention for our guests to feel uncomfortable or have these kinds of issues. I have shared your feedback with the entire staff to ensure this does not happen in the future. Your feedback will help us improve on the areas that you found unsatisfactory. Ms. Chanda D, we value your opinion and appreciate your business; it is our only hope that you will give us another chance to serve you in the near future.

Best Regards,

Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I am actually rating this hotel from over a year ago but decided to write a review anyway. I was at this hotel for over 3 and half months with work not only did they treat me like family from the time I walked in until I left but anything that I needed they did not hesitate to help me. My room was perfect clean and relaxing. Chiquitta and her staff are top notch, went above and beyond for me and my staff in every room that we had. they even made sure that we got our same rooms each time we were there, we never had to change rooms or had a problem. I hold every hotel I stay at now up to the service and standard that I experienced there. I will recommend this hotel to anyone and will be staying again if ever in the area. To sum it up staying at the Red Roof Inn North Charleston I had no worries.

Room Tip: I had room 220
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank southernprince
Chiquitta P, General Manager at Red Roof Inn North Charleston, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
My staff and I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay. We love hearing guest feedback and positive feedback like yours reassures us that we are giving our customers great service. I am glad that we are able to accommodate your needs for you and your staff. My staff and I really appreciate that you have written a review from over a year ago. That shows us that our guests enjoy the service we provide. We always try and treat our guests as if they are family. We truly appreciate you sharing your experience with others and hope that this will be your choice of lodging the next time you are in Charleston.

Best Regards,

Oyster Bay, New York
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Recently redone, very clean and comfy. A little noisy, our neighbors didn't like the fact that our party was up and about at 8am, But I didn't complain when they came in at 2am and made just as much noise! lol. When I am in the area again I will be staying there again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
My team and I would like to thank you for providing positive feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We always enjoy hearing about the positive experiences our guests have. We are glad that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms. We want to thank you again for your feedback, and look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a comfortable bed with just the right amount of amenities (tv, internet, clean bathroom) this place is great! Would have gotten 5 stars if the wifi had been consistent.

20 min to downtown Charleston. 40 min to the beach.

Traveled with dog. She stayed for free and it was nice to have grass right outside the room.

Note: this is a "working man's" hotel and non smoking in general. Work crews mingle outside for smoke breaks and camaraderie.

No pool or breakfast.

When you check out, ask for your safe deposit back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple