“Go Elsewhere If You Can” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Charleston Airport Hotel

Charleston Airport Hotel
Ranked #42 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Orlando, Florida
“Go Elsewhere If You Can”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

I often stay at a Radisson but this is absolutely the worst Radisson that I have ever stayed at. Check in was so incredibly slow that I nearly walked out. I finally asked the receptionist whether there was a problem and after clicking away at the computer for another few minutes she finally gave me a room.

My room was OK, everything worked as it should, but there was a strange curry-like smell from it. The elevator doors looked like they had been smashed up and patched by a poor craftsman. I walked into the restaurant one evening and promptly walked out because it looked so uninviting. Part of the ground floor, a stores and maintenance area, is caged off by the emergency stairs and looks like something out of a prison movie.

The entrance to the hotel itself from the main road is poorly signposted and the car park layout by the hotel entrance itself is narrow and dangerous. You could easily damage your car on the crazy stone wall opposite the hotel entrance.

The hotel itself appears to be locally in a poor area of North Charleston.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank alkonost45
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Charleston Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We take pride in our “Yes I Can!” culture and do apologize that you did not receive this level of service. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments, so we can continually improve our services. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Columbia,SC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

We booked through Groupon and they also charged our card. We had to get it straightened out. The rooms smell and they are seedy. They painted everything in an awful dark depressing color. The rugs need updating. There were no tissues in the room and we were told we couldn't get any because housekeeping was locked. It made me wonder what would happen if we ran out of toilet paper. HOWEVER, I wanted to mention the people in the restaurant because they were all so nice and accommodating. They should train everyone else. That part of the experience was really good. Oh, and by the way, the maid had a pack of cigarettes right on her cart and I think she might have smoked in some of the rooms because she was trying to cover something up with strong, strong deodorizer (and why else would you have cigarettes right out on your cart ) Pay a few bucks extra and stay and stay at a different place

Room Tip: stay someplace else!!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SCNancylee
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Charleston Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
SC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in in my life...I didnt feel safe at all..There was a strong odor throughout the hotel once you left the lobby and it was unbearable once you got to your room. I had to sleep with a shirt over my nose in order to attempt to get any rest. I also slept in my clothes on top of the covers. The sheets and pillows had black stains on them..The bathroom ceiling was missing a tile..I could go on..The hallways are dimly lit and it just overall seems run down. It seems like an old hotel that they attempted to fix up by adding flat screen tvs ... It was just bad...so bad that I contemplated going somewhere else even though I had already paid for this one, the only reason I stayed is bc it was so late.

Room Tip: Dont stay there..that's the best tip I can give
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank AmberB91
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Charleston Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. To discuss your stay further, please contact the hotel directly.
Boiling Springs, South Carolina, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I called the hotel 3 days before my reservation we had family emergency. I asked if we could simply switch days. Thinking we could come in a few weeks. The lady was happy to do this for us when she asked the date I wanted to confirm with my fiancé. I asked if I could call her back in a few hours when he arrived home she said sure. I called back in a few hours and a different person answered the phone after putting me on hold until the phone hung up. I called back she same person without even saying hello said hold please I was on hold for a hot minute. She got back on line ( side note if you work in customer service and hate your job) Please do all us a favor who spend our hard earned cash to vacation and stay at the business that pays you be a little pleasant. LOng story short she gave me this mumbo jumbo she wouldn't switch our date. I explained the lady 2 hours before actually took the time pulled up reservation and was ready to switch our dates due to medical emergency. So much was going on that I wasn't able to get this problem resolved lost our night in north Charleston and our money. This is a customer service problem Plain and simple

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 782Jolene782
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Charleston Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from our front desk staff member in regards to adjusting a reservation due to a medical emergency. Our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive our best customer service.
Laurel, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I can't believe this place got 3.8 stars on another website! That's why I booked it for one night. You should avoid it at all costs. It is a dump. The pool is closed (probably for a very good reason). The vending machines only worked if you have EXACT change. The neighborhood is questionable at best. They have tried to renovate but it's like they tried to slap lipstick on a pig and say it's not a pig anymore. If I was booked for more than one night, I would have eaten the cost and gone somewhere (anywhere) else! Radisson should be embarrassed to have their name on this location!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trishie66
We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay, including the swimming pool and the vending machines. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience as your comments are valued and will be used to consider improvements in the future.
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

We booked and paid for this hotel through Groupon. The hotel charged our credit card also. NONE of the ice machines worked. The washer and dryers did not work. The hotel staff was not very-well trained in how to answer questions. The entire hotel has an odd smell. There are PLENTY of hotels in the area and I would strongly recommend that you book elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank No N
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Charleston Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Florence, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I went in with very low expectations, based on a lot of the previous reviews I've read on this hotel. However, I have to say that my wife and I had a very enjoyable stay!!

The hotel is conveniently located right off of I-26 and is surrounded by lots of stores, restaurants and shopping areas.

The room itself was clean and comfortable, our King size bed was just right, cable TV and a good sized HD TV worked perfectly. Air conditioning worked good. Nice shower with plenty of towels and the young lady cleaned our room and gave us all new fresh towels the following morning...etc.

The hotel staff made a great effort to be courteous and friendly and I thought they were very pleasant!! Kudos to them.

We ate the breakfast buffet at the hotel one morning. Nothing fancy at all, but a nice selection. The food was pretty good --grits, scrambled eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, muffins, cereal, orange juice, hashbrowns, oatmeal and coffee....

Nice pool area....with a pool table too. Fitness room was good.

Negatives:

The hotel is an older hotel. There is a scent in some parts of it and the neighborhood is questionable though I didn't see a lot of riff raff at all.

The ONE icemaker was broken and we ended up having to go to a convenient store for ice. Luckily, that store is within walking distance of the hotel.

About the coffee at breakfast, When my wife got a cup, it wasn't fresh. It was actually nasty. The server guy saw my wife get that old stale coffee but didn't say anything. A little while later, another couple came in and they were going to get coffee. He greeted THEM and said "you don't have to get that coffee, you can have a seat and I will bring you some coffee". Needless to say, my wife felt slighted and somewhat offended. It was probably innocent and unintentional....but, it DID happen. Since she was unhappy, I had to mention it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple