“Exceptionally good hotel at very modest price” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean Drive Beach and Golf Resort

Ocean Drive Beach and Golf Resort
Ranked #17 of 53 Hotels in North Myrtle Beach
Los Angeles
“Exceptionally good hotel at very modest price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

I live in Los Angeles. I stayed at this hotel for three nights in October, 2011. Exceptionally good hotel for $44 per night. Room has refrigerator and microwave and free wireless internet. The front desk persons were charming and very helpful. My room was on the 7th floor overlooking the ocean.

Hotel has great indoor and outdoor pools and jacuzzis, and an indoor spa and exercise room. Parking is free. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

One reviewer said this is a great hotel for reunions. That is true. There was a large family reunion on that weekend and the persons I encountered on the elevator were having a great weekend.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank BigAL90275

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Thomasville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

We are here for the third time this year. Although there is some remodeling going on now, it shows they keep this place in great condition. The amenities are awesome and the staff is excellent. I would reccomend this to anyone with one exception, Memorial Day Week. This is Black Bike Week and the noise in all of Myrtle Beach will ruin your stay....

Room Tip: Higher floors are more quiet...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Jcthomasville
Pleasant Garden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

Pine Forest has used this resort several times for reunions and it is FANTASTIC.gREAT LOCATION AND GREAT STAFF AND FACILITIES.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Sharon60845
Neuoetting
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

October 14th 2011. 3 nights - please read until the end!
First encounter on the phone:
I booked our hotel from Germany per phone, the Internet website not working. The person taking my call was competent and nice. As I didn´t get a confirmtion per mail within 3 days, which is def. unusual, I called again to check. The female person on the phone wasn´t especially nice as I explained the problem, the answer was: what do you want me to do now? I did find that sentence hard, as I would expect someone to check if my mail adress was correct..etc. But never mind , I though she had a bad day, could happen.
Check-in:
very inpersonnal, quick quick, sort of disturbing the employee (young female). We were not explained the hotel (amenities, etc) or given any informations about the running of the hotel (breakfast time, opening of the coffee shop etc.). The hotel has a free Wifi, there again, no information. I went back to the reception, remenbering this detail, and only then, was I given an information sheet with the Wifi code on it (the older lady was nice).
Hotel amenities:
We walked around the hotel to see what was offered, we had the feeling, all was shut. October isn´t full season, one understand a beach bar being shut, but not the entire amenities of the hotel. For exemple the acces to the swimmingpool or beach for that matter which is normally possible from the lobby. This was blocked by two huge plants. We had to walk around the hotel to get to the beach (informations on check-in would have avoided this), coffee shop shut. And all this without any informations.
Location:
great, and that is what this hotel is living on, its location, the rest is very questionable.
This is an older hotel. the oceanfront view rooms (queen beds) are relativaly small, the kitchenette has seen better days, but all funktions. We stayed at Myrtle Beach in other condos, and the amenities for the kitchen was better, but for the price, one has to say, it was ok. 2 persons occupation, 2 glasses, 2 plates, nothing more and nothing less.
BUT THE ROOMS ARE LOUD THROUH A/C in rooms and roof !!!!
If you decide to stay in this hotel, only on the lower floors (which might be loud thourgh the beach bars!!!). The A/C in each room is so loud that you think of sitting in an engine room of a boat! TOP FLOORS are even worse because of all the A/C unit of the hotel are on the roof, so you have the low frequence: BBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRR!
The fan in the bedroom cannot be switched off (in our room was so, 12th floor).
We ask to move, the man who came to check on our problem, was extremly nice (the only nice person we met), he tried his best, but couldn´t find an alternativ for us for the 3 nights, without having to move every night. He really tried, but we decided to check out the next morning.
HOTEL REACTION TO EARLY CHECK-OUT:
this was the worst treatment I have ever had on a reception desk. As a travel agent, I have resided in hotels from no star to 5 stars and I am very aware as to what staff can do or how they should react when not all goes well.
I wanted a refund on the 2 nights we wouldn´t stay in the hotel, a very arrogant female staff told me in one sentence: We do not give refund on early check-out. So I explained the problem of the night before, told her that a solution couldn´t be found for us,, the man from the night before had tried...etc etc. very cold, she informed me that there isn´te record of the happenings and only the manager could decide. I asked her to contact the person we had seen the night before or the manager or whoever. If a Ocean front room had been found on the lower floors for us, we would have taken it. She went, and came back we a piece of paper in her hands, which she presented me with one sentence: This is your refund, please sign here. No sorry, no smile, nothing. We felt like we were in the wrong, which wasn´t the case.
END OF STORY:
if you want to have what a hotel is supposed to provide you: relaxation, good service and amenities: book another hotel.
Note: This is the first time ever I write a report on a hotel, never before have I done so, knowing that one experience doesn´t or cannot tell all. But this was important to me to set the things clear about this hotel.

Room Tip: Ocean front efficiency room: only lower floors, maybe less A/C unit noise
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Odile R

Travellers are raving about these North Myrtle Beach hotels

Saratoga, NY, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

We stayed for 3 nights in October for $44/night. Wow!. The hotel is right on the water, and I believe every room has an ocean view and a balcony.

Our room was not huge -- but adequate with 2 double beds. It was clean and well maintained. In fact everything that we saw at the hotel was clean and well maintained. We used the pools -- both indoor and outdoor -- and loved the easy access to the beach.

We stayed on the 12th floor (top floor),and really appreciated the speed of the elevators. The hotel was completely full on Friday and Saturday night, but we still never waited long for an elevator and never had to "crowd" into one.

We walked to several nearby restaurants -- but cannot comment on the hotel restaurant, since we didn't eat there.

Room Tip: Next time, I'd pay a few more dollars to get a room whose balcony directly faces the ocean. I h...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank BenThereToo
atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

of when you go here. During SOS, which is in mid April and Mid Sept, they jack up the rates and the place and nearby restaurants and bars are packed. The hotel is ok. But, parking can be a problem as they do not enforce the parking and allow anyone to park at the hotel. No restaurant at the hotel. But, there is a snack bar and a breakfast place. Good place to dance as they have several dance rooms here.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank patch111
New Castle, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

This is an all-round great place to stay when at North Myrtle Beach. It is clean, reasonably quiet, and in a great location. The staff is very nice and helpful, the rooms well-kept, the pools clean and the grounds and common areas attractive. The elevators were fast and not overcrowded at any time,even on the week-end. Love this hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms during this and past stays have been great, can't go wrong.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple