“Slightly disappointed ”

Ocean Drive Beach and Golf Resort
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in North Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights. The hotel staff was nice enough but didn't go out of their way to be welcoming & answer questions. The sheets and towels appeared to be clean but the rest of the room could have been in better shape. We had a terrible experience at the restaurant/bar downstairs (crappy service and rude waitress). The hotel location is great - steps away from the beach - but unfortunately we would not come back to this hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katie M

Reviewed 29 June 2014

The rooms were fine. Location was great, right on the beach. The restaurant needs some work, it looks nice, but limited menu and was short staffed. The parking is terrible. They have two small parking lots in front, and another large lot across the street. There is a fence separating the lot across the street from another complex. That other complex had police cars in front of it on 2 of the 4 nights on our trip, which had me worrying about the safety of the car. The problem is they make you put a parking permit on your dashboard, but let anyone park in their lots. If you go out to eat during busy hours (street concerts and many shops near by), you may not be able to park when you come back to the room. I mentioned the issue to the front desk and was told there was nothing they could do about it.

2  Thank Brett M
Reviewed 23 June 2014

For the price and our location, this hotel was great. Rooms were somewhat outdated. However, our view and access to the beach and pool was wonderful. My only complaint (and big one) is the front desk customer service. We arrived a night early and was told our room was not ready. First thing in the morning, another staff member told us our room had been ready and wasn't sure why the first rep did not put us in it originally. On a few more occassions where we needed their assistance, they were very sharp in their tone and not very nice to our request. Also, the outside pool guard was very direct and somewhat sarcastic to not only my children but other guest that had forgotten their pool bracelets in their room.
Housekeeping was great though!!

3  Thank Cassey S
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Booked oceanfront double bed room for 6/20-6/22, 2014. Arrived at 3:00pm, our room was ready and staff was friendly and checked us right in. Plenty of space in lobby area and 4 elevators. Room nice, clean and cool inside. Oceanfront view patio overlooking the pool area. Plenty of seating around pool and well maintained. Bar area has live entertainment. Breakfast was OK- not hot enough for me and no turkey bacon or fruit. Drove to another place the next morning for a good hot breakfast. Resort in a great location. I will definitely visit again and refer friends.

Room Tip: Double bed room perfect for 2 friends. Room 516 perfect.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank S L
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I got a great deal on this location thru Hotwire at about $25 less per night than the quoted hotel reservation line The front desk staff are all very friendly and helpful, and the housekeepers, for the most part, go way beyond what is required (one morning the housekeeper washed my oatmeal bowl and cleaned up my kitchen coffee trail). The ocean and pavilion views are beautiful and the rooms are quiet despite all the activity outside. The hotel is in the heart of Ocean Drive and is a venue where families, graduation revelers and baby-boomers in a nostalgia weekend can happily co-exist. But, this is really just a room at the beach, not the resort it claims to be.

Although the rooms seem to be updated, the head boards, bed side tables and phone did not pass my Clorox wipe test since the cloth was actually brown on a couple of swipes of the wipe.The rec room is filled with ancient and mostly broken games. The pool tables are ragged and one day lacked cue balls. The exercise room is dark had only 3 working machines that were always sopping wet from (most likely) kids playing on them. The indoor jacuzzi and pool are small and both were below a preferred temperature. The lazy river is not monitored and not passable as kids and adults congregate at different points in the flow of water.

Still, if Hotwire wound up assigning me to this place again I would not be disappointed. In the last few years Myrtle beach has improved the attractions and opportunities for fun while letting most of the lodging go way down hill. I was traveling alone for business reasons, and I felt safe, I slept well, i was treated nicely, and I enjoyed the location and the ocean views. NO bedbugs, NO obvious dirt and NO noise. What else can a person ask for under $120 a night?

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor at the end of the hall away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I recently went to this website and booked a room for the weekend. The website listed a mistake on the price. I booked the room and received a confirmation. The next day I have a missed call from the hotel and within 5 mins of the missed call, I receive a cancellation email which does not say exactly why the room is cancelled. I call the hotel and the lady states oh well we tried to call you and we cancelled it because our website made a mistake on prices. The last time I checked, I was not responsible for websites making mistakes on prices for rooms. So basically, this hotel does not honor mistakes that they make. Based on that, probably would not be the best choice for a hotel because clearly if they mess something up, before or during your stay, it will most likely be your fault!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Nicole T
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Chose this resort because of location and nearness to beach. I called for reservations, and the lady read them back to me stating the day and date of arrival and day and date for checkout. An email was sent confirming, which I did not read, but saved. When I checked in was told my reservations were for May instead of June, and I would be losing my deposit since I did not show up a month early. They finally did refund one -half of my deposit, but did not get to speak to the manager until the third day. She was sarcastic and rude. Would never admit that they made a mistake, and I spent much of my vacation at the front desk trying to straighten this out. Don't know if I will ever chance staying here again and I would use the word resort lightly. I have had larger and better rooms at small motels.

3  Thank MABarger