“Hard Beds, Resort Fee, & Poor Customer Service”

Ocean Drive Beach and Golf Resort
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in North Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I booked this hotel through a third party site and wasn't aware of the resort fee until I arrived and had to pay the additional fee ($17.12 for a two night stay - the fine print mentioned needing a credit card on file at check-in, which is needed at pretty much every hotel, for possible future fees, but not that I would have to pay a resort fee). When we checked-in, the staff member loudly announced our specific room number, which is a huge don't in the hotel industry as it's a safety issue for the customer. The beds are hard as a rock and extremely uncomfortable. Additionally, our room was a handicap accessible room directly next to the front desk/lobby which did make it loud, and our window looked out directly on lazy river/pool area so we had no privacy. For this reason, we did not have a balcony, and we could not leave our curtains open for the daylight/view given that everyone at the pool could stare right in at us. Also, the lazy river is very small, and the pool, lazy river, and hot tub all contain quite a bit of sand from people not rinsing off before getting in after being at the beach. There seemed to be two drink machines, from what we found, and neither of them work. They will take your money and not give you a drink. The only redeeming factor of this place is that it seems to be fairly clean. However, this resort wouldn't hold my bag on the day of checkout while I went out on the beach. They'll only hold your bag if you're flying, and apparently I should have to put my bag in my boiling hot, 100+ degree car along with the chocolate I purchased, medications that are supposed to be stored at 77 degrees or below, and my expensive camera equipment. The other option would be to take these items, and things such as my iPad, out on the beach and leave them unattended while I go in the water. The staff was also rather rude when informing me that they "don't have the space" to hold bags for customers. For the amount this place charges, plus the resort fee, they should at least hold a bag for a customer on the day you're checking out if you're not immediately leaving. Additionally, if you'll be needing the free, complimentary wifi during your stay, you'll definitely need to look elsewhere. The Internet service is a joke and absolutely does not work. I had websites trying to load for over five minutes (on two separate days) before I gave up and used my phone. Thanks, but no thanks, I will avoid this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the lobby floor as it's very loud.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Murray_M_SC

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Double beds, not queens. Which to be fair they do advertise double beds, but what resort does this and then says they accommodate a family of four? (and they are not extra large double beds, they are standard size). And they won't provide a roll away.

Could hear the conversations of room next door through the adjoining room. Even when they were not partying.

They DO NOT provide beach towels.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

My good friend and I spent 2 nights there recently. We had a blast! The pool and lazy river were fun, the rooms clean and the ocean front view is fantastic! The location is good for walking to nearby fun places too....I never moved my car!
Fun fun!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Beverly S
Reviewed 18 July 2014

As many travelers have commented, the room is "average". Nothing fancy here..but you are not paying for fancy. We would normally get a condo for a week at the beach. However, this time, we were only staying for 2 nights on the way to visit family. Our group consisted of 3 adults and a toddler. We had a suite, which included a king bed in the bedroom and a pull down murphy bed in the living area. Both were sufficiently comfortable. The murphy bed is a far superior alternative to a sofa bed. It is both more convenient and more comfortable. The sofa and plastic balcony chairs were not luxurious, but fine. My biggest complaint was the bathroom. It is small, with a low shower. The towels were TERRIBLE.

The pool area is nice. We enjoyed the lazy river pool. It is on a nice stretch of beach, with nightlife, amusement rides and restaurants in easy walking distance.

There were a number of groups in the hotel during our stay, including an annual life guard tournament with hundreds of participants and a high school sports tournament. I worried that this would get noisy. To the contrary, we had no noise problems. We found the lifeguard competition interesting and fun.

I found the staff friendly.

I would stay here again for a short trip. But, next time, I would bring my own bath towels.

Room Tip: We had the suite for 4 people. It is a little more expensive than a standard room but worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank TravellinDawg
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I researched every hotel in Myrtle Beach for this trip. It had to be reasonably priced. It had to have a kitchenette so that we could eat breakfast and lunch in our room. It had to have a balcony with an ocean front view. It also had to have a nice pool. This place has 2 pools a hot tub and a lazy river. The location was also very important. This hotel is within walking distance of everything you need. Grocery stores, restaurants, gift shops, amusement parks, bars and liquor stores. I was up and down the beach and Ocean Blvd looking at other places and I liked our location the best.This place had it all and we will definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Robey
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed here for 4 days in a Ocean front, double bed room this week and was not impressed!
* The hotel is generally older and not very nice.
* The front desk staff weren't overly friendly and the man "manning" (aka Pool Nazi) the pool was even less so. The cleaning staff were extremely slow and did not do a great job. There were still large individual hairs in our shower and bathroom floor when we arrived at check-in. Also had someone else's hair still wrapped in the bathroom towels, which got on my face!
* Pool bands were supposed to be worn if you wanted to use the pool area, but once they are placed you can't take them off. If you do cut them off, they won't replace them. We decided to place them on the loosest notch so we could slide them off and on. The pool Nazi will get you if you don't have them, even just to use the shower before going to your room or the bathroom.
* The room was a double and had no carpet at all (all tile). I can see how this is a benefit at the beach, however, there were also no rugs/mats to wipe your feet. And with the poor cleaning staff, I ended up mopping our room daily with a towel.
* Fees- website will tell you about the daily resort fee and if you're under 25, a large cash deposit. Another fee they don't mention is a $5/key charge if you don't return them at checkout. Who does that these days? They're plastic!! But more than that, I was not told about this so now I've been charged. I also never received a final bill or summary before we left, which should be a standard.
* The only food option in the hotel is vending machines or a very nasty "Tiki Bar". We walked into this bar to attempt a drink order and quickly walked out. Literally, it's nasty.
* Beds were decent, not too hard. Comforter/sheets were lacking in quality but it's not a Hilton.
* Best thing about this place is the lazy river, pool and hot tub area.

There are so many other hotels at Myrtle, I wish I had looked further.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank StefRN84
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The room was clean but just average. The beds are very uncomfortable! The thing I liked best about the resort is the location. It is close to anything you want to do and anywhere you want to visit in Myrtle Beach. The housekeeping service was average but worked. If you are looking for a room in a great location then you have it. However comfort is not a priority for this resort.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends