“great place”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in North Myrtle Beach
Blockade Runner Motor Inn
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in North Myrtle Beach
Charlotte, North Carolina
“great place”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is the best place to stay on the strand,great people at check in, all the staff is helpful, friendly all the way to the housekeepers. The rooms are real clean have nice towels in bathrooms they aren't made of starch soft towels. Rooms are cleaned each day. They now have a small restaurant inside of hotel but prices are a little expensive so we ate at friend's each morning right up the street. Someone left 2 wild kitties and the staff feeds and takes care of them. They have found a forever home here at the hotel so when you check in bring a small bag of cat food to help with the cost we did. What great people.Our beds were so comfortable no lumps,slept great for 5 days.We will stay there again because of the friendly people,our hats off to you.

Room Tip: 410 great room we faced the ocean what a view to wake up and sit on your own balcony and have your c...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Bonita C

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Saint Petersbur
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have been coming to the Blockade Runner for many years. Each time is a wonderful experience. All rooms are large, clean, tastefully decorated, and have a private balcony with a beautiful view of the wide beach and the ocean. The staff is friendly and helpful. The cafe was a great place to eat breakfast. The outside of the inn is landscaped nicely. We wouldn't stay anywhere else on the Grand Strand!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Carrie M
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

The Blockade Runner is like a dream come true. My husband and I started coming to the Cherry Grove/North Myrtle area annually after our son was born, and this was our fourth trip with him (age 3.5). We had previously stayed in a few typical high-rise "resorts" but we weren't too impressed... high prices, spotty service, too crowded, always seemed to be missing several amenities the website had claimed etc. Every year we would drive by the Blockade Runner and I'd have my husband pull over so I could take a picture. It just looks so SWANKY!! I'm a big fan of mid-century architecture and this place is a stunning example. After I learned that my in-laws spent their honeymoon at this motor lodge, I couldn't resist booking a room. When we checked in, I was honestly expecting a drab 1980s interior remodel but boy was I impressed! The first thing I noticed was how incredibly CLEAN it was! Even the downstairs restroom just outside the lobby was spotless. I didn't see any sand or seawater anywhere. Decor was tasteful throughout the interior spaces and the exterior was lovely with the lawn and the flowers etc. The pool area is nice and includes a jacuzzi, baby pool with waterfall, and a decent sized pool with a chair lift so that those who have mobility issues may still enjoy the facilities. We had a delicious and very reasonably prices breakfast one morning in the Overboard Cafe (previously called Mimosas). The restaurant is just off the lobby and has a nice covered patio with several tables and chairs. They appeared to be working on a tiki bar out there, too. The room was spacious and the balcony was expansive. We were on the third floor and had a perfect view of the ocean. Our efficiency room had a very functional kitchen and it was stocked with vintage Pyrex and Corningware dishes (be still my heart!) There is FREE WIFI!! And it's fast, too! Granite counters in kitchen and bath as well as a flat screen HDTV. The hotel is a short walk from the Boulineaus grocery store/restaurant/beach shop, as well as several fantastic restaurants and a liquor store.
My only complaint is there is no fitness center, but I'm not sure I would even use it on vacation anyway ; )
Friendly staff, great prices, ocean front. Everything was perfect and I can't wait to go back for Labor Day! That's right, we loved it so much we are taking two trips this year!

Stayed May 2014
6 Thank lmadams87
Marion, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We enjoyed our stay although I would definitely request a room on the upper floors as on the ground floor you have easy access to the beach but the room we were in had a community grill and picnic table right at our back door. Being a private person I was not able to keep even my curtain open because there was always someone out there. So a little disappointed in that. The motel is older but it was clean and the management was polite.

Room Tip: Request a room on the upper floors.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mary A
Clarkesville, Georgia
Reviewed 7 May 2014

A small hotel,nothing spectacular,but quiet and a wonderful beach. Not expensive and the staff is friendly. Close enough from Myrtle beach proper but far enough away. Took Mom to the beach for Mother's Day. This was a great choice.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view with wide balconies. Only 5floors
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Billy C
Florida
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Over the last two years, I have made seven trips to North Myrtle Beach and have stayed at the Blockade Runner Motor Inn. This past winter, I made three trips totaling nine weeks to help care for an ailing family member. After long, tiring days, it was wonderful to return to my room at the Blockade Runner, my home away from home. The facility was clean, the rooms are large and have been nicely updated. I stay in the rooms with kitchens as I prefer to cook my own food. The kitchen is well stocked with basic kitchen utensils, pots & pans and the appliances are well maintained. The beds and bedding are very comfortable. I am very picky about having smooth operating wireless internet service which the Blockade Runner provides in all their rooms. All the rooms are oceanfront and I especially like to stay on the 4th floor which gives a beautiful view of the ocean and is above any street level noise during the busiest times. Prior to discovering the Blockade Runner several years ago, I stayed in numerous condos when visiting North Myrtle Beach. I never made a return visit to any of them. Most of them were overpriced, had terrible internet serrvice, horrible beds and bedding, and parking was a long distance away. The Blockade Runner's facilities have always exceeded my expectations. In my opinion, the number one thing which sets the Blockade Runner apart as very special is their staff. They strive to make their guests feel at home there and go out of their way to be sure their guests are satisfied. Take a look at their website. The pictures depicting the rooms and facilities are very accurate. If you are looking for a clean, comfortable oceanfront room at a reasonable cost, on a quiet beach, you should stay here.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank ssclulow
Windermere, Florida
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I stayed at the Blockade Runner Motor Inn for a short weekend during St. Patrick's Day. It is your typical small hotel, nothing special but worth the price. Parking was limited in front of the hotel, but there is a parking lot across the street reserved for hotel guests. It was not an issue as it was not the main tourist season, but may be difficult crossing when it gets busy. Check-in was efficient and quick, with the receptionist providing the necessary information about the hotel.

There is a slow elevator next to the lobby and stairs located outside about hallway between the lobby and each end of the hotel. All of the rooms faced the ocean, but you will need to be on the second floor at least to get a good view. I had a room with two queen beds. The room also had a small table and chairs next to the window as well as a work desk along the wall. There was also a small balcony with chairs to sit on. You also had the choice of two sinks in the bathroom area. One was located outside of the bathroom itself allowing multiple people to use one at the same time. There was also a heat lamp in the bathroom which helped with the lighting as well as keep the bathroom warm.

The only minor hiccup in the room was the shower and specifically the ceiling. While the website mentioned that they had done a lot of remodeling, they must not have completed all of the rooms. There was a small section of the ceiling that was peeling away. However it didn't interfere with the shower itself.

Overall the Blockade Runner Motor Inn provides an affordable place to stay in a quieter area of North Myrtle Beach. You are a good distance away from Myrtle Beach itself, but that wasn't an issue for me. There are plenty of places to eat in North Myrtle Beach and activities to keep you occupied. The place has more of a motel feel from the outside, but was not a discriminator unless you are expecting a 5-star hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo