All reviewscherry grovefirst floorquieter beachprivate balconiesgreat oceanfront roomsmall kitchenetteminor annoyancecoffee potstaff was friendly and accommodatinghigh riseclean roomsevery summerstar resortbed was very comfortablewonderful staythe kitchendefinitely stay here again
Reviewed 29 October 2017

A couple of good friends were coming to visit me & expressed an interest in spending a few days in an oceanfront hotel in Myrtle Beach while they were here. A neighbor had recommended this hotel to me, having stayed there several times herself. Approximately 3 months prior to our intended stay, I booked an efficiency room. Upon arriving, I was told we were not expected until the NEXT night -- but they did find a room for us. After unloading our belongings & settling down in the room, we were called & told we would have to move to a different room 2 doors down. To make a long story short, things just went downhill from there. The bathroom door did not shut completely, the kitchen area was tiny & ill-equipped, items from previous occupants had been left on our patio, the hot tub did not appear to be clean, & the on-site restaurant was not open. We canceled the remaining 2 days of our stay & went to a different hotel. On the redeeming side of things, I sent a letter outlining the many problems we experienced to the hotel manager/owner. & several weeks later, received an apology & an offer to refund us for the night we spent there (which I turned down -- we stayed/we paid).

Stayed: May 2017
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

Family vacation with my mom and my youngest brother. Highly recommend Blockade Runner as this is the second time in a couple of years that we have stayed here. Plenty of places to eat within just a few mile radius. Ocean front view from our balcony and many of the restaurants that are nearby offer patio dining on the water.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 October 2017

I have traveled to the Myrtle Beach area for years but have found that the area is becoming increasingly too busy. Seeking a quieter area to visit, I spent the weekend in the Cherry Grove area of Myrtle Beach. For lodging I chose the Blockade Runner Motor Inn after reading the very positive reviews. The hotel is indeed an “old school” hotel as a previous reviewer noted even requiring a phone call to make reservations rather than some type of online system. The person I spoke with was very accommodating as I was already going to be in the area for work and would require an earlier than usual check in time. Upon my arrival I found the hotel to have an “old school” appearance, which I like and it appeared to be very well maintained. The front desk staff was very friendly and efficient in checking me in despite arriving about two hours earlier than the normal check in time. My room was easy to find and I found it to be very clean and appears to have been renovated recently. I requested a standard room but to my surprise I was assigned an efficiency. I found the small kitchenette to be clean and adequately supplied with all the necessities. The bathroom was clean and well maintained. The queen beds in this room were very comfortable. All the rooms are oceanfront and I found the balcony area to be very spacious with excellent views of the ocean and beach. Attached to the hotel is a small café and bar, which I utilized twice during this trip. The staff was very friendly and the service was quick. The Cherry Grove area of Myrtle Beach is indeed quieter and the Blockade Runner Motor Inn was a great choice for lodging. I will definitely visit again soon!!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank David R
Reviewed 28 September 2017

staff was amazing as always even though we were there during the stressful time of Irma. We had a king size room with kitchenette, which was fully furnished with kitchenware, pots/pans and a full size refrigerator.

Room Tip: anything but first floor offers great ocean front view. Dunes block view on first floor.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

This is an "old school" beach place. I remember it from vacations during my childhood when we were renting beach houses at Cherry Grove. It is a great ocean front location that is close to all Grand Strand activities. Every room has a balcony, refrigerator, kitchenette and nice space. There is ample parking and the staff takes care of you. Give this place a try and you will come back.

Stayed: August 2017