“Sleeps 8, accommodates 3”

Wyndham Vacation Resorts Towers on the Grove
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
“Sleeps 8, accommodates 3”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I'm writing this review as I sit in the condo because I want to make sure future travelers are aware of what I am experiencing. I booked this condo through RCI on a timeshare. The description was that it slept 8, which is what I was looking for. It said two full beds, a king bed and a pull out sofa. Perfect. It's a Wyndham as well and we've always had great, spacious condos when we've booked anywhere Wyndham, especially a gold crown. But, approximately 3 weeks before our stay, we got an e-mail directly from the Towers stating that while the condo does sleep 8, it only accommodates dining for 3. What? They sent me the floor plan with the e-mail. I was absolutely blown away. I tried to see if I could upgrade and after phone calls with the Towers and RCI, no upgrade available. So 2 of the people we had coming decided not to come and thank goodness for that (not that we didn't want them to come but we couldn't have accommodated them). Though we had plenty of sleeping room for the 5 of us that did come, the place was so small that we had to stay separated from each other anytime we were in the condo. The sitting area was so small it only had a sofa with 3 seats and that's it. There was one extra fold up chair available (think uncomfortable). The dining table had 3 seats and that's it. The kitchen was not really a kitchen. There was no room whatsoever for anything. All of the utensils were on the stove in a caddy because there wasn't a single drawer. We felt so cramped the entire time we were in the condo. The pros were the heated pool/lazy river and hot tubs, fast elevators, updated appliances, clean rooms/bathrooms, good beds, quiet condos and great parking. However, if they had some type of retractable curtain on one end of pool area, it would make it so much nicer to enjoy because unless you're in the pool/hot tub/lazy river, you can't sit outside when it's winter. If they had a curtain of some type, it would make it tolerable and yet still allow fresh air in the area. Overall, I was very, very disappointed in this Wyndham property, It is not up to par for them and I felt like the advertisement of "sleeps 8" was deceiving. If you can't accommodate 8 in the living room and dining room, then you need to say that before money is paid that can't be refunded after the fact. We also went through the dreaded sales pitch and ironically the salesman felt he could get us a better room (even though they couldn't on the phone with me nor when I asked yet again when we checked in). However, we had already unpacked everything & it would have been more trouble than it was worth. On the tour, we were shown a 2 bedroom, sleeps 8 condo that was equivalent to what we normally see with Wyndham (very spacious). Again, ironic they had this condo to show potential timeshare buyers, but wasn't showing them the condo they would actually get if they tried to book a "sleeps 8" condo through RCI. So ask for a view of the floor plan before you give RCI any money to book at this timeshare.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ajb2dance
Joe V, General Manager at Wyndham Vacation Resorts Towers on the Grove, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thank you for the review. We are sorry to hear you were unsatisfied with the room accommodations. Our goal is to make each guest feel at home by providing sufficient space to satisfy the needs of all guests in the unit. Because we have 14 different condo-style units, each offer a variety of floor plans and sizes. We strive to provide this information to the guest through our website and email letter. We apologize for any confusion and will work to better communicate this through additional channels in the future. We are sorry for your experience and greatly value your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Spartanburg, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

We have stayed at The Towers 3 years in a row, twice during Christmas. We are actually still here now. This place is modern, has all the comforts of home, and doesn't have a typical hotel feel at all. Someone else reviewed recently that it would perhaps not be ideal for a group of more than 4, and obviously she is aware that Towers has units offering up to 3 bedrooms, with 3 full baths. My boyfriend and I are currently in a 1 bedroom king oceanfront, that has 2 FULL bathrooms,and a large living room, that also has a murphy wall bed, with doors dividing all rooms for privacy. I just wouldn't want anyone to be swayed by a review that seemed very confusing to me, and not really true according to what I know they offer. We have also previously stayed in a 2 bedroom oceanfront, with 2 full baths. I advise everyone to go to the Towers website and see a layout of all room types, and what they offer.

Room Tip: Check the bed types in rooms, because all 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom units are not structured the same...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MsB815
Hughesville, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

We just returned today from this hotel and are planning to return during warmer temps. I was concerned that this property would be inadequate due to size based on other reviewers. My hubby , 4 month old and myself never felt overcrowded. We had other family members come over to visit and it was adequate . It looked just as the pictures did. I'm very picky and everything felt and seemed clean. The carpet was not stained and the whole place seemed modern and clean. We loved it. There is no on site restaurant. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. We got a great rate. The unit has floor to ceiling windows. We were in a corner unit and the bedroom had a ocean view that was perfect . Even though it was cold we loved being here. I have no complaints . Wifi was perfect . Parking was across the street. Looking forward to returning soon. Sure there are larger units available throughout mb but if you are looking for modern and clean this is a great choice. If I had a larger family with more than 4 and needed more space I would maybe look elsewhere or reserve more than one unit. Otherwise we were very pleased and glad we saved half off of what our other option at the Marriott would have cost us.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Belews Creek
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

First time staying at The Towers but found it very quiet and relaxing. We rented through The Prince and did not have daily housekeeping which I personally liked myself. Didn't have to worry about someone coming in on me if I wanted to sleep in or take a nap. The staff were very nice and really enjoyed our trip. There is not a restaurant inside the building but are some within walking and driving distance. Really enjoyed staying in Cherry Grove!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Our family has stayed here each year since they opened. We love our room, the amenities and the beach. It is a very clean facility. The staff are very friendly, knowledgeable,and helpful. can't wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
ClubWyndham, CLUB WYNDHAM Social Media Team at Wyndham Vacation Resorts Towers on the Grove, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We are so glad you enjoyed our resort and area accommodations. It is great to know our friendly staff was helpful during your stay. We look forward to your next visit!
Apalachin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We have been vacationing at The Towers since it opened and have been visiting this hotel ever since. We rent through the Prince and we know the drill. You don't get maid service and you have to check in at the Prince. Neither of these factors is a problem for us. Both the Towers and the Prince staff are helpful and friendly. My husband lost his shoes in the pool area and the security guard went above and beyond her duty to find them. The condo we like has a great view with a very comfortable bed and all the amenities we need. I have come to love this area of the Grand strand. Good restaurants and a grocery store right down the street-What more could you ask for?

Room Tip: If you are not into time-sharing and just want a condo at the towers book through the Prince but kno...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laurie P
ClubWyndham, CLUB WYNDHAM Social Media Team at Wyndham Vacation Resorts Towers on the Grove, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Hi Laurie,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback along with some tips for future guests. We are so glad you have enjoyed your stay with us since we’ve opened. We hope you come back to stay with us!
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

This area is really quiet and nice. The rooms are very nice clean and comfortable. Real homey feeling. You can walk to all the local restaurants for great food like pizza, seafood (The Flounder has the best Crab Cakes I have eaten in a long time.) Boulgaria's/IGA is in walking distance and has everything you would need from fresh seafood groceries..it's another Walmart with a family name. Awesome. The pier is in walking distance it's about 0.7miles 15min walk and cost 2 dollars just to walk on the pier. Everyone is so nice the locals and the visitors. There is a Harolds Bar a spin off of FAT HAROLDS were they shag and dance both places are awesome. I didn't have any bad food the whole time we were there great seafood.

Room Tip: Best view on the 15th floor if you not afraid of heights ocean front.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple