“Fun, clean, relaxing getaway”

Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Great ocean front views, loved that it was lit up at night. Have been to myrtle beach many times and thought I knew it all. You must visit Ray the concierge in main lobby. He made dinner reservations with VIP service and we felt like royalty. He also booked us great seats for a show and we got a great discount as well. If you have children make sure you see his magic tricks. He is a great asset to the resort.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank TFreyer1
Write a ReviewReviews (2,322)

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Check in service was excellent. All things went well untill the second day.Dirty towels were rehung on the towel rack and bathroom was not cleaned. I called room service and they had someone deliver clean towels for the family.

1  Thank Pat C
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel through Expedia 2 days before arriving (we wanted to do a last minute trip before school begins). Since it's still "high season" we were looking for an moderately priced hotel and this was the top rated one that had availability. The room we were initially given had single king size bed instead of 2 doubles. I called the front desk from the room - they blamed it on Expedia. I politely requested that they correct the mistake since I could not cram 2 adults & 2 children into 1 bed. I had to drag my 2 kids back downstairs (after an almost 7hr car ride) and into the building next door (along with the bellman toting all of our luggage) to wait in line AGAIN to get a room change. I knew the rooms were "outdated" from other reviewers but the room set-up was also very awkward. The TV is shoved into the corner and super far away from the beds- not a deal breaker, just annoying.

PLEASE NOTE that a lot of the "perks" that are advertised are a huge hassle. The free water park admission is for Wild Water & Wheels at SURFSIDE BEACH- this is a 40+min drive from Bay Watch (through road construction!). We still ended up driving to it & it was a great water park but I just assumed it would be near the hotel. Any of the discounted tickets for Rilpey's, Wonderworks, etc are not kept on site- they are at a different location that you have to drive to. This entire process of driving, parking, waiting in line for tickets, waiting for change, etc. took over an HOUR for us- definitely not worth the few dollars we saved. I booked this hotel because of all of the pools they advertised since I thought it would keep our kids occupied. The lazy river is so weak even our 5 year old complained "it didn't work". The pools are disgusting- lots of mold/mildew in the grout. Our 1.5 year old was obsessed with the indoor 1ft pool but the chlorine smell mixed with a super humid closed in environment caused me to become dizzy- can't imagine what it was doing to little kids who were there throughout the day.

Pros: nice beach front, kids daily scheduled activities at the pool are great (our daughter loved the "mermaid camp"), we felt safe, rooms are relatively clean, the on-site restaurant offered a breakfast buffet with decent food (both the chef & wait staff were VERY accommodating to our sometimes wild children haha)

Cons: buildings need repair/renovation- tiles missing in elevators, doors broken throughout buildings, rooms are decorated/furnished from the early 90's. The parking garage is across the street so we had to drop off the kids at the front of the building with grandma then I had to park the car separately (since our kids are young and that's a long way for them to walk especially with cars moving all around), the pools areas are in desperate need of cleaning/renovation (tile needs to be regrouted, deck cement resurfaced, pool chairs are mildewed, etc). Beach chair rentals are available for $8 EACH per day which I think is ridiculous since most families have at least 2 adults and stay at least a few days. We bought cheap beach chairs at Wal-Mart and carried them down every time we went to the beach- not fun when you're carrying a toddler, beach bag, floats, etc.

Oceana Resorts lists this property as "premium"- I'd hate to see what their "value" resorts look like. Overall this hotel is run down. I think the employees are working hard and doing the best they can but it's apparent that
this place needs some help.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Sierrawiley
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed in Bay Watch 1 PH. The view is perfect. They have several elevators and they work well. We had a 2 bedroom 2 bath. The balcony was very nice. We loved the beach and the pools. The price was right and we enjoyed our week at the beach. We really didn't spend too much time in the condo, except to cook, eat, and sleep. The living/dining room is VERY small. We had to move the coffee table and the dining table every time we ate. The kitchen cabinets did not have handles, very confusing. It was well stocked with a pots and pans and coffee pot. The dryer would catch our clothes and it ruined more than we care to say and we had to stop using it. We went through a rental agency Elliot, so we did not qualify for the free water park tickets or any activities that the hotel offered, which was a bummer with 2 teens. People let off fireworks all night long which was really annoying when we were trying to sleep and had to arise for a crack of dawn fishing trip. Although we liked the view and the beach, we like a little more quiet so we would not stay here again.

Room Tip: We did not enjoy the people putting off the fireworks on the beach all night long.
1  Thank Jessica M
ElliottRealty, Guest Relations Manager at Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Jessica M.,

We are sorry to learn that the fireworks were bothersome during your vacation. We hope you were still able to enjoy your time at the Bay Watch. We hope to see your family in the North Myrtle Beach area again soon.

Hilary Johnson
Guest Services
Elliott Beach Rentals

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My reservation was confirmed for a studio with 2 beds for 2 adults and 2 kids. I waited in the lobby for 30 minutes to talk to the front desk, they informed the room wasn't ready and to come back in an hour. After travelling all day, I was not interested in wasting another hour. But I obliged the hotel and we drove around for an hour.

They told me when i return to give a card to the hotel conseirge and he would get me my room. When we returned, there was another 30 minute line in the lobby. One family was just told their room wasn't ready. I was getting discouraged. I talked with the conseirge. He wiped out a list with my name on it and a laptop and appeared to be getting us our room. He asked a few questions, about what we were going to do and where we were going. I realized his title might be conseirge, but he was really the front man for their timeshare.

At this point I was not happy at all. I am a full paying customer and not interested in a timeshare, only a place to stay for the weekend. I waited in line for the 30 minutes, got my room keys and moved our gear into the room.

The room wasn't the room I ordered. I ordered a studio with a kitchenette and 2 beds but got a king sized bed instead and a sofa. The TV was hung on the wall, but the cable box and cables were on the kitchen table. When i called the front desk, they said there were no other rooms available and that they couldn't do anything. I called the 3rd party reservation company, Expedia. They called the hotel and after 20 minutes got us the correct room. The rest of the weekend we were referred to by management as the Expedia people.

House keeping came in to clean the room and made up one of our beds with dirty sheets. We complained to the front desk, they said it wasn't their fault we should discuss this with housekeeping, a separate company. They were unable to get housekeeping on the line to lodge a complaint.

I find management blames everyone else but takes no responsibility for their hotel. Good management would have worked with their paying customers instead of making excuses that things were beyond their control.

We will not stay at this hotel, nor suggest to any friends or co-workers to stay here either.

Room Tip: Studios have small balconies on the side of the hotel. You can see a fine sliver of the ocean if yo...
3  Thank AlfafaB
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We usually vacation at smaller motels but we were pleasantly surprised by this resort. Room was really clean, big bathroom and kitchen with everything we needed. King bed, and murphy bed were very comfortable. We all had a great time. Loved the pools and the beach was amazing!! Just sand and some shells...no jelly fish, nor crabs nor seaweed for the kids to complain about. Every morning, we would head off to beach (would pick up towels and chairs and umbrella at poolside) and later go to pool. We were afraid North Myrtle would be boring, but we loved it, especially after we visited the Boardwalk at Myrtle Beach which was loud and noisy and nothing compared to Wildwood's boardwalk. In the evening, we checked out Broadway at the Beach (ok), malls/outlets, Barefoot Landing (terrific! & nearby) and the miniature golf courses.

Room Tip: Definitely Oceanview
2  Thank Love2travel-Mtl
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stay here several times a year. This year we noticed the number of activities throughout the day. It was very busy but we were made to feel like we were a priority. The registrants are always smiling and cheerful. Fran is always one we look forward to seeing because of her attention to detail. Room service is very prompt and any needs or concerns we had were addressed promptly. This hotel is so family friendly and you never meet a stranger. The staff here is great and I would stay here again and again. Oh, did I mention that the bed we slept in was so, so, comfortable?

Room Tip: We always prefer rooms in Tower 1. It is so much more convenient. We like the higher level.
1  Thank 733Lawson