“Great Family Vacation!!”

Wyndham Ocean Boulevard
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We stayed back in june 18-25 2010, The rooms were large,clean and very comfortable for our family of 6 including 4 adults and 2 childern 6 & 8. The pool was great and the lazy river was the kids favorite! The beach was clean and never overly crowed. the staff were very friendly and helpful, and the little restaurant off the pool was great for a cold afternoon adult beverage(they had drink specials everyday so they were inexpensive)!! The resort was very calm and quiet at night, we enjoyed sitting on our balcony at night and listening to the waves. The kids meet lots of other kiddos throught the week to play with, they really enjoyed that! It was a perfect vaca for the family! Everyone had a blast! The only thing that I see they need to improve would be the parking, it can be really hard to find a spot at times sometimes impossible!

Room Tip: We didnt stay in tower 4 but that tower is across the street, I would try for the others especially...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank tropicallove23

Reviewed 19 April 2012

The resort itself is lovely, and in a great location. The pools, lazy river and location to the beach is great. We were there through our RCI trade in. The hotel itself is very clean and seems well maintained. Our 8 year old son had a blast in the pools and lazy river, met lots of kids to play with, and had fun. The beds, however, are VERY soft. Very uncomfortable unless you are a kid and your bones can take. And I am not old, early 40s, and in decent shape. But I woke up often during the night because I was uncomfortable. My husband stated he felt like he might fall through the bed in the second bedroom the one evening he laid down with my son during a thunderstorm. But beds aside, we did have an issue with the garbage disposal. They fixed it promptly, so no issue with that. It happens in a huge resort. The one thing that really put me off on this resort, was the sales presentation. They didn't ask as at check in, but made an "appointment" to bring up information about the area. the husband made the appointment, as I knew what they were doing, but was in the restroom. So I told him to cancel it since I knew what it was about. They did, but every single day after that they called the hotel room, sometimes 3 times an hour. We never answered. The would leave a message with no message, just quiet on the other end. And when we called about the disposal, they even used that point of contact to ask us about buying a timeshare here. I half joked with my husband that they must watch the rooms and see when people are there because they always seemed to call when we were in the room. Of course I wouldn't know if they called when I wasn't in the room. But if they did, then the daily calls must have amounted to 5 or more, because 2 or 3 happened when we were. It was honestly annoying enough that I won't likely come back to this resort, I will likely pick a different one if we come back to this area. We never got the "gift" or signed anything, but you can just sense the high pressure sales pitch. I have stayed in many RCI trade ins, and been asked.But I am never bugged like we have been here. They take no as no. It is too bad because this is a beautiful resort...but the sales tactics do hurt their reputation. It actually causes me to think I would not buy here even if I was looking....

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank L C
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Stayed here over spring break with 4 adults and 3 children. Condo was spacious and clean and there were tv's in all the bedrooms. We were in tower 4, which is across the street from the beach but there was a crosswalk with easy access. We had an outdoor pool, an indoor pool and hot tubs at our building. The tower 4 pool is the only pool that gets afternoon sun - the other pools are shaded by the buildings are were a bit chilly. The lazy rivers are ok but would be better if parents kept there kids from using them as a playground for tag and splashing when others are trying to relax and float around. Overall, a very nice stay and we would definitely go back!

3  Thank JillAOceanView_DE
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We are Wyndam owners and have family in the N. Myrtle Beach area so we chose this resort due to the proximity to our family. We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo (expecting another couple to stay with us & that fell through) but the tower we stayed in was across the street from the ocean. The view of the ocean from our balcony was seen between the other two Wyndam towers across the street. Other than the lousy view the condo itself was beautiful. I'm not sure of the individual number of the specific tower we stayed in but we were really disappointed in the location of it. The kitchen was fully supplied, all you needed to bring was the food. They did provide some complimentary items such as coffee, microwave popcorn, enough for two people for one day. The condo itself was very spacious and comfortable. The Wyndam beds are incredible and the room darkening drapes are a plus for sleeping in! The master bath was huge! It had a large jacuzzi tub that fit 2 people more than comfortably. There was a separate shower stall that also was very roomy. Sometimes available parking was a bit difficult in there parking decks. Check in was fairly quick and easy, sometimes there can be a long line with timeshare check-ins but this time there were plenty of available employees checking guests in. Plenty of local restaurants to choose from. We had some small issue with the plumbing and they sent a maintenance man up very quickly and he resolved the problem in no time at all. All in all a really beautiful place to stay except for the lack of ocean view.

Room Tip: Ask for the towers located on the ocean side with an ocean view. Most likely hard to get during pri...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Butterfly8184
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We are owners at Wyndham, and are trying to visit at least one new property a year. This year we decided to spend our spring break (31 MAR - 7APR) at Wyndham Ocean Blvd, and were not disappointed. We reserved the three bedroom presidential unit because we thought that we were going to have another family staying with us. Unfortunately, the other family could not make it, so it was really almost ridiculous the amount of space we had. My wife commented several times that our family of 4 could easily live in the amount of space provided - 1900 sf.
The layout: there were 2 master suites (King beds), each with jetted jacuzzi tubs big enough for two people, their own showers, and a separate toilet. The master that my wife and I chose had access to the full-size balcony and a view of the ocean while in bed. The third bedroom had two queen beds and a toilet / shower en suite. There was a full-sized fridge, toaster, coffee maker, blender, oven and 4 burner stove, an island and plenty of counter space. There were 32" - 40" LED televisions in every room, and the living room had a pullout queen bed and a Bose sound system that doubled as a DVD player. The balcony had 4 chairs and a table, and the dining room had 6 chairs and a table that could be expanded with up to 3 leaves to seat up to 12. The wife's one complaint was that there is no full-length mirror in the entire condo.
We were on the top floor of tower 1, room 1555, and the view both north and south of the beach was incredible. Every morning a man came along and created a maze at the tide line, and the kids loved figuring it out. My son (9yo) enjoyed body boarding almost every day, and my daughter (7yo) enjoyed catching hermit crabs and building them towns. There were two (very small) lazy rivers, and 2 outdoor pools / 4 hot tubs as well as 1 indoor pool and hot tub (lots of chlorine!) that were all shared between towers 1,2 and 3 (the towers on the beach). As previously stated, the pools got little sunlight (2-3 hours a day), but we didn't come to the beach to swim in the swimming pools. There were plenty of young "spring breakers", but they were well behaved and did not prove a nuisance.
There was so much to do in MB, we were never bored. We did the Boardwalk, the Sky wheel, Soar & Explore, MagiQuest, Sparkles (little girl makeover), Pirate Voyage, Alligator Adventure, all the buffets, and plenty of time in the ocean. The kids were all smiles and went to bed exhausted every night. I would recommend a car to enjoy the area, and parking can be a bear in tower 1, 2 or 3. Tower 4 and right behind it has plenty of parking, however, and it wasn't a big deal for us.
As I stated, we are owners. When we checked in, they said they'd call us to schedule our "update". We simply unplugged the phones and didn't hear from them the whole time!
I would highly recommend this as a great vacation for the whole family.

Room Tip: Get tower 1, 2, or 3, as they are directly on the beach; tower 4 is across the street
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sfairborne2001
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We came with our own family of 3 kids and then met some extended family for a Spring Break trip from March 30 - April 5. Except for the last day, we had great weather that was suitable for a few days on the beach, which is what this place was designed for.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo in Tower 4, which is across the street from the ocean. This is NOT a big deal; if you can walk an additional 50-75 feet, you'll be fine. The road you cross to get to the ocean is not a busy road, and there are plenty of crosswalks. In fact, Tower 4 has more amenities than the other 3 towers, such as a decent exercise room (some free weights, 4 treadmills, several bikes and ellipticals, and a number of weight machines), the activities center, an indoor pool and hot tub, a heated outdoor pool and kiddie pool, and a small playground for the kids. Also, the architects managed to get every room a view of the ocean, if only between other buildings on the oceanfront. We were on the 12th floor (1 below the top), and since the Wyndham is close to the tallest building in the area, you got some really nice ocean views every time you walked to and from your room.

A gripe we had was that during our week one of the two indoor pools was closed for maintenance, and then the other pool had emergency repairs and was closed as well. While the weather was tolerable outside, there were some very windy days and one washout with rain. Seemed poor planning to have even one pool out of commission on an expected busy week such as Spring Break.

The unit: A nice, well-kept unit. King bed in the master, 2 full size in the 2nd bedroom, and 2 full bathrooms. The place was mostly carpeted, but the designers did a good job by having a rather large tile entryway with big closet and washer/dryer. This means that when you come back from the beach you can drop all your sandy clothes right by the washer and keep all the sand out of the rest of your home.

The colors of the unit were not like what we saw on the website. No crazy purples or anything. Just a classy beige and brown.

Something to note is that in the master bedroom, you've got a really big bathroom with two sinks/vanities flanking a large soaking tub. Separate shower and toilet as well. The problem is that there's no separation between the bedroom and the bathroom. Meaning that if someone wants to sleep while another wants to brush their teeth, there's no way for the person sleeping to avoid bright lights and running water about 10 feet away. A clearer separation would have been nice.

The location: Great in relation to the ocean. Towers 1-3 literally facing the Atlantic. However, if you're looking for food...go north. (For those not sure of their north and south, you're on 6th street south. If you start walking and see 7th and 8th, you're walking south.) Our first night we got in the car and headed south on Ocean Boulevard. For over 1.5 miles there was literally no place to buy groceries, eat, or get a drink. Pretty amazing that with thousands of visitors and rooms in the area they would force most people into their vehicles every evening.

Only six blocks north is Main Street of North Myrtle Beach. It's about a 5-7 minute walk. There are some ice cream shops, beach stores, a few diners, an Irish pub. You'll need your car to get to the closest grocery store, but there's anything you need less than half-a-mile away on Highway 17.

The North Myrtle Beach area is good for families such as ours. Quite serene and laid back. If you crave more nightlife, you'd be better served in the actual Myrtle Beach, about 15 miles south. Keep in mind that the Myrtle Beach attractions will be a good 20-25 minute drive each way from here.

The parking: since we were in Tower 4 we didn't try to park in Towers 1-3, and we had to go into overflow a time or two. As I noted earlier about the walk to the beach, this is NOT a big deal so long as you can walk an additional 100-200 feet. The time you'll spend searching for a spot will be longer than it will take to park in overflow and walk to your tower. Further, the lower level of overflow is completely covered and well-lit, and there was no concern for safety at any point.

All in all, this was a nice trip at a nice resort. You'll be right on the ocean, walking distance to a nice main street in a beach town, and close to all sorts of shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: If you have anyone who takes naps during the day, request a room on a higher floor away from the poo...
7  Thank NateS-DC
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My 3 children and I stayed at the Wyndham Ocean Blvd in North Myrtle Beach, SC in a 2 bedroom condo in Tower 4. It was wonderul. The only thing I needed to do was buy food to cook. Everything else was provided to us. I have a 19, 17 and 12 year old and they had a ball. There were plenty of activites and easy access to the beach. The staff was a delight. I had one incident were the toilet wouldn't flush and I call to the front desk and maintainence came within 15 minutes or so and the problem was solved. Very clean and safe environment and would recommend this property to anyone. Especially a family with children.

Room Tip: Even though we were in Tower 4 there is a great view of the beach and you can actually hear the wave...
4  Thank Malika H