“If possible, don't stay in Tower 4. And, read EVERYTHING before you sign it.”

Wyndham Ocean Boulevard
Houston, Texas
“If possible, don't stay in Tower 4. And, read EVERYTHING before you sign it.”
Reviewed 2 November 2010

After wandering around for 15 minutes trying to locate the lobby in tower 4, we found it only to see that it was closed. There are no clear signs posted stating where to go for check-in. Several guests told us they had had the same problem when they arrived. Luckily, another guest was kind enough to point us in the right direction for tower 2's lobby. We had to walk across traffic, with our baby in tow, to check-in. The lady that checked us in was nice and quick, but the guy that gave us our parking pass wasn't that great. They try to persuade you into accepting "free" gifts in exchange for attending a presentation at another location. He tried to get my husband to sign the form without mentioning that our credit card would be charged the full value of the gifts if we were not able to make the presentation for any reason. Sneaky. I noticed before he signed and refused to sign anything or accept the gifts. The guy acted like it wouldn't be an inconvenience for us to take 2 hours out of our anniversary/family vacation to attend a presentation. I stood my ground and walked away.

When we arrived in our room, it smelled like moldy cheese. The decor is seriously outdated and the carpet could use a serious cleaning. My son walked around in his socks and they were gray/black in no time. Over time, the smell wasn't that noticeable and we just made sure not to walk around without socks or shoes on. The beds were pretty comfortable, but the pillows weren't. Like most hotels, you sink into them and have to use 3 or 4 to be comfortable. I think that is to be expected, though. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite, and it was pretty spacious. More than enough room for our toddler to run around. We never had any problems with noise during the day or evening, which was a huge plus for us.

I was disappointed to discover that the complaints I read about the water temperature are still true. The water takes entirely too long to heat up. It didn't matter what time of the day it was, I never waited less than 20 minutes for it to heat up. I had to turn on the sinks and whirlpool to help it warm up more quickly. I noticed that the water stayed warm longer if you leave the tub water running while showering.

The hot tub in the indoor area of tower 4 was DISGUSTING. There was brownish-gold crap all along the sides of it, so we opted not to get in it. The rest of the pools looked decent. The only other pool we got in was the lazy river in tower 2. It was ok.

They had plenty of parking available and we didn't have to worry about valet. It's great being able to come and go as you please without having to wait for valet to bring it to you.

Check-out was a breeze. We just had to call the front desk to let them know we were leaving, and once they verified that we had no other charges, we were told to leave the key cards on the table and we were done.

It wasn't a horrible stay, but there were enough little things that we didn't like that made me give this resort a low rating.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Chester, Virginia
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Great vacation. Went the week after fall bike week, so the crowds and noise were gone. The beach is very wide here and water was still warm. Weather was in mid 70's but sky was clear with direct sun so it feels warmer. Hotel is in great location with so many activities my wife thought we had come to a spa. We were in Tower 4 as we had a time share exchange, but no problem as there are many amenities including pools, hot tubs,fitness room and activity center. Easy access to the beach. Rooms are very spacious, well-equipped(including 3 LCD TV's) and clean. Concierge desk was very helpful arranging golf tee times and answering questions. Barefoot Landing is about 3 milrs away, I currently enjoy this location as the original rsort area of Myrtle Beach has become run down and is poised for a re-birth but has a way to go.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Thomas57598
Champion Pa.
Reviewed 16 October 2010

I had not been to Myrtle Beach for several years and the oppurtunity to go presented itself.I had been there other times and grew tired of the crowds and congestion!For those who have been there you know what im talking about.To clerify things a bit this resort is actually considered North Myrtle Beach and it is a little less crowded if there is such a thing!We went over Labor Day week and the weather was beautiful bright hot sunny days just want you want.We stayed in a three bedroom cottage which are sort of grouped off to themselves which is a good thing.You sort of have your own little neighborhood.It is only about a 10 minute walk to beach and all the other resorts numerous activities.Great location!The cottage has everything you need and is very spacious.This resort is very nice and has about anything you could imagine.The best part is going to the beach every morning and every evening!The sunrises and sunsets are breath taking!Be sure to have camera ready for just that right moment for the perfect photo opp.I would also like to share going to the Golden Griddle for breakfeast!Great little spot but get there early because it gets very busy!Of all the numerous things to do here though to see a beautiful beach sunrise or sunset is still my favorite and like my title says the best things in life are free we just seem to miss them most of the time!So go and stay here and have a wonderful time!And when you get that beautiful photo keep what i said in mind!Take care hope review is helpful!BE BLESSED!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 October 2010

My husband and I just returned from the Wyndham after a wonderful week with our 3 small children (twins 3.5 and baby 18 months old). Reading the reviews was certainly helpful in managing our expectations for the property. We knew we were staying in Tower 4 and thus would not be ocean front, but this was no big deal at all. The ocean views were goodt and our balcony was a great place to sit and relax. Crossing the street to get to the beach was easy and no trouble at all. Tower 4 is really great for the kiddos as the playground and kiddie pool are there. October is a great time for travel to Myrtle Beach because the weather was amazing, little traffic, no trouble with parking, and check in was a breeze. Our unit was very clean, the beds were very comfortable, the kitchen had everything we needed and the flat screen TV''s and DVD player were a huge hit with the wee ones. We were nervous about some of the reviews about lack of hot water, but that was not a problem at all. The faucets with the single handle for hot/cold might be a little tricky at first because you turn the handle slightly to get hot water and the more you turn the handle, the water gets colder. The unit had a washer and dryer which is nice, however, they are a very small capacity. I felt like I was constantly washing as each unit is given 8 towels for the beach or pool (this is in addition to your bathroom towels). The resort also gave us the name of a great crib and high chair rental company called Noah's Ark baby rental. They were awesome to work with and will drop off the baby equipment to your unit and set it up for you. Being able to rent a real crib and the comfy beds enabled all 5 of us to sleep incredibly well each night. Overall a great experience and I hope we can return soon.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 October 2010

The hotel was exactly as described. Pictures of rooms were accurate. The layout of the room was perfect for our needs and the amenities in the kitchen were more than expected. The multiple pools were all very nice, view was great. I was completely satisfied with the experience and the prices was excellent.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
new jersey
Reviewed 30 September 2010

I am a member of Wyndham Resorts and brought my brother and his wife with my husband and I to this resort.
My brother was having problems getting around and was using crutches.
The parking situation was inadequate for someone without disabilities, and there was only one handicapped space available for all the guests at the resort in towers one, two and three.
My brother arrived in the pouring rain and was directed to parking a few blocks away. He was told someone would be over in four minutes to pick him up in a golf cart, but that person never arrived.
Upon attempting to recount this problem to various guest services members during our stay
our impression was they did not care. The beach was inaccessible to him, the parking problem persisted for the entire week and staff members claimed no one had ever complained before.
A senior guest services member told him in a truly rude manner to go purchase at another property where there was better parking.

We are from the northeast where there are laws governing disabilities and multiple accomodations for those unable to get around. It was a shock to see the lack of facilities, availability and consideration on his behalf.

I have stayed here before but this experience has soured me on returning.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank nalf19
North Carolina
Reviewed 24 September 2010

We stayed at tower 4 which was less crowded than the other towers. Parking was not the best. They have lots of activites for everybody. The staff was very nice and efficient. Check in and check out was quick. We had a great time....would love to go back soon.

Only problem was it is a timeshare resort, you will have to sit through a presentation.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Shalady
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Myrtle Beach
Avista Resort
Avista Resort
#5 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach Resort
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
The Prince Resort
The Prince Resort
#4 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Ce...
#6 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
#3 of 209 in Myrtle Beach
North Beach Plantation
North Beach Plantation
#2 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach

Been to Wyndham Ocean Boulevard? Share your experiences!