“Family vacation for 7”

The Prince Resort
West Virginia
“Family vacation for 7”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2009

First I would like to say, the suite was outstanding!! Very clean, with plenty of room. The view was breathtaking. We were on the 12th floor in 1239. Our room was secluded and very quiet. I enjoyed being in the suite as much as enjoying the beach, restraunts, and shopping. We enquired about booking that same room for next year when we checked out. Compared to the room we had last year this suite was a mansion. Very reasonably priced. Having the washer and dryer was a huge plus. My laundry was clean when I unpacked at home with out huge loads to catch up. Last year we stopped at a filthy run down laundrymat that should have been closed down. I felt very unsafe there.
The staff were very friendly at the Prince resort. Our room wasnt ready when we arrived but the front desk took our number and called us shortly to let us know we could check in early.
The only negative thing I would mention was viewing a patron in the parked garage shooting up in his vehicle which was of no control to the hotel.

Our children had a blast at the pool on a daily basis. The beach wasnt as accessible due to the jelly fish and dangerous swimming conditions. That was a choice of our own. We had heard several ppl being stung by Jelly fish but the life guards had colored flags to let you know the swimming conditions. We have all intentions of returning to the resort (hopefully the same suite) for 2010 vacation. My last thing to mention is returning home I missed the huge king size bed we enjoyed all week. It was so relaxing going to sleep listening to the ocean waves and waking up with a huge cup of coffee on the balcony watching the day begin. I would have enjoyed this vacation much more if our family pets would have been allowed to vacation @ the resort. I missed my little dogs terribly by the end of the trip ( not to mention listening to my children crying to see them )We couldnt wait to return back home to them.

1 Thank harleygirl1990

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Youngstown, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2009

I read all the reviews before we went. We arrived about 4:30 and were greeted right away by two very nice young people at the desk and they answered all our questions and again were very nice. Our room was on the 15th floor and the "ONLY" time we had a problem with the elevator was at check-in time. The rest of our stay we managed to use the elevator at off times/coming off beach/dinner time. People forget that it is a "BIG" hotel with lots of people that hold the elevator on floors and let their children play with the buttons. We had to have maintenance twice and they came quickly and were very friendly and helpful. The maids were very nice/no english/but they tried to understand what you needed/were helpful/but not overly concerned with cleaning, but this was a condo so I did it myself/no big deal this did not bother me at all. The food at both restaurants was quite good and the service "excellent" but $$$$. The view from our room was breath taking. We saw the pool area, the ocean and the pier. We were in tower one room 1506. We sat on the roomy balcony almost every nite and looked at the great view of the pier lighted and the ocean and the sky. No one smoked except on the beach that I saw/smelled. We stayed 6 days and we were thinking that this was one of our better vacations in Myrtle Beach (we had been there several times/first at this hotel) then came "checkout" we got up at 5am and were at the checkout desk at about 5:45. No one was there so we called out that we wanted to leave our keys and pooltags. Someone yelled back "WAIT A MINUTE" so we waited, waited, finally a woman came out looking like she hadn't changed her clothes in days (smelled that way also) hair messed up, in a "bad" mood. We said we needed to leave our keys and our room number and she said she had to look-up what we owed and I told her I had a "PAID-IN-FULL" receipt from check-in and showed it to her. She started talking loudly that she "needed" to look it up reqardless................so OK. Then she said that we needed to pay "EXTRA" taxes.........WHAT????????????? We were charged taxes over 115.00 dollars when we checked in/paid them. She just kept yelling and finally I said give me a receipt for the pool tags and I was being on my way. She yelled at us all the way to the door that she was going to charge our creditcard anyway. I did not answer and kept going. Needless to say the 11 hours it took to get home were awful since I was so upset. Why anyone would allow someone like that to be at their front desk dealing with guests that they want to come back is beyond me.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OhioNicki
Charlotte,NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2009

If I had to give a review of this hotel the first day, I would have given it 1 star. Here's why: We arrived around 2 pm and were told the room wasn't ready and wasn't guaranteed until 4. (this never happened at the Avista but then again we checked in on Friday this trip,not Monday)..so we went to the grocery store and I called to see if the room was ready and got "No, it ain't ready yet..." WOW... At 4 exactly the room was ready but it was hard to find a luggage cart. We were in Tower 2 across the street .When we arrived at our 2 bedroom Oceanfront, we were very happy with it---beautiful and spacious! I have no complaints about the room. Some trash was left from previous guest and there was blood on my daughter's sheets but those things were handled by housekeeping very efficiently. I think they were rushed to get the room ready because the place was fully booked. At the breakfast buffet, the food was good,service excellent but there was a hair in my eggs...we didn't go back but would have if we needed to..those things happen. It was fun staying on the pier--there was karyoke one day and my daughters did that and the food at the pier was good---eat there or take-out. The hotel is within walking distance to IGA and ice cream/hot dog stand but thats about it---we walked to an arcade one day and almost died.... not really close to anything which wasn't good for teenagers but would be ok for most people, I guess. Our room was on the 9th floor just outside of the pool/hot tubs/lazy river which were GREAT and the room was still quiet...If I stayed there again I would want the 9th floor tower 2. Nice to be above parking. By the way, the whole place is supposed to be non-smoking and there was no evidence of smoking in my room BUT beware of people smoking by pool and on balconies.. there were ashes on my towel one day from a room above--luckily I was not on it at the time ! Overall, good people working at front desk AND housekeeping..just don't bother checking in until 4 and you'll be fine...happy travels!

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank HappyRPh
Trenton NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2009

Stayed at the Prince Resort for our summer vacation in the beginning of August 2009. We stayed in the first building on one of the higher floors. We had a gorgeous room with a great view of the Pier, the beach, and the Ocean. The room was larger than expected, with a working kitchen, dining area and living room with a TV. Computer access was with a lan cable within the room, not wifi. The room was cleaned every day except for once when my teenage daughter slept in past midday. We thought the room was more than reasonably clean for a beach front accommodation. The walk out to the beach was easy; a mere couple of minutes and you were on the beach. All the pools, both at the first building and the roof top pools at the second building were clean and easy to use. Unfortunately we went when there were a lot of little children around, they did distract from the enjoyment of the pools. The restaurant at the Prince is not very good, the breakfast buffet is rather overpriced for what one gets, and the dinner food was just not good. The Chef was friendly and came to our table. Then again, there are plenty of excellent restaurants within a half hour drive up and down the Myrtle/North Myrtle stretch. Would we stay at the Prince Resort again? Yes, without a second thought. We may reserve our stay a bit later for a more peaceful pool experience, and we certainly would not eat at 3500 Ocean Grill, the Prince’ restaurant, but the Resort itself was clean, in a picturesque location, and perfect for a relaxing vacation.

1 Thank carlsan
Normal, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

This was our first time to Myrtle Beach, and being a faithful and consistent user of TripAdvisor, I settled on the Prince Resort. We had a great experience at the beach and at the lazy river. I was traveling with 4 teenagers and they can be hard to please, but not one complaint the whole time. I learned rather quickly that the traffic can be slow and painful, but using Highway 31 made getting to different areas of Myrtle Beach easy and fast.

My only suggestion for the Resort is to get recycling bins.

1 Thank BHamilton
Greenville, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

The Prince Resort is located in Cherry Grove, a quiet community in North Myrtle Beach. The Cherry Grove location is totally different from other parts of Myrtle Beach we've stayed. It is mostly residential, not many hotels or stores. It was very quiet and peaceful.

The Prince Resort is comprised of 2 towers. Tower 1 is right on the ocean. Tower 2 is across the street from the ocean and a small parking lot. The view of the ocean from Tower 2 is pure ocean and beach b/c there is nothing blocking your view. The bottom half (floors 1-8) of Tower 2 is the parking garage, so all the rooms are on Floor 9 or higher (I think it goes to the 16th floor). Tower 2 has the rooftop lazy river and hot tubs. I would recommend staying in Tower 2, b/c it's cheaper b/c they sell it as "oceanview" just b/c it's across the street. Everytime we went to Tower 1 the elevators looked absolutely painful. The lobby is located on the 2nd floor of Tower 1, so there was always mass quantities of people waiting for the elevator. We always took the stairs to the lobby. The elevator wait in Tower 2 was not that bad. Plus if you stay in Tower 2 you dont have to cross the street to get to your room.

I do agree with a previous post in that the pools are small for a hotel of it's size. But there's plenty of ocean to play in b/c the beach is not as crowded as in other parts of Myrtle Beach. The hotel was very clean. We did not see a single bug during our stay. We even slept with our balcony doors open. The balcony was larger than most and included 4 chairs and a small table. The breakfast buffet should be a free continental breakfast. Definetely not worth the $7 (or however much it cost).

We booked our hotel through b-------m and paid $200/night for a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom oceanview condo. It was a great deal.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank ECUAlumni
Jackson, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

I Love this hotel, well it so much more than a hotel. My stepdaughter loved the lazy river, that was her favorite thing. We stayed in the second tower on the 15th floor, it was a cross the street but in my opion better if you have smaller children because of the lazy river and the other pool. It was very quite at night too.The road was not that busy that we had any trouble crossing the street to get to the beach either. We went and had breakfast at the buffett every morning it was very good. Also the staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank nicolet113
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Myrtle Beach
Avista Resort
Avista Resort
#4 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,155 reviews
BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach Resort
BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,402 reviews
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Ce...
#6 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,539 reviews
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard
#1 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach

Been to The Prince Resort? Share your experiences!