Message from TripAdvisor:

“Great trip until....”
Review of Beach Cove Resort

Beach Cove Resort
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My past experience at this hotel has always been a great experience. This area of the beach is quiet and the hotel appears to cater to families. The multiple pools and lazy river provides enough diversity for children and adults. Staff is always pleasant and helpful and accommodates requests.

Now, the cons:
1. The elevators can be crowded, slow and unventilated.
SUGGESTION: have arrive an hour and a half to two hours later to avoid the crowded elevators due to check-in, people returning from the beach, and those persons headed to dinner.
2. This visit I stayed in a 1-bedroom efficiency. Upon unpacking and settling in , I noticed a small roach coming from underneath the counter. Knowing there are multiple guests that use the unit throughout the season, I overlooked it. When I started to notice there was a family/colonly living there it was very uncomfortable. It looked like there had been water damage to the cabinet, so I'm not sure if this started the problem, but I was not happy. I only noticed the bugs in the kitchenette area.
3. Rooms are a little dated and could use some maintenance, but for the most part are clean and comfortable, withstanding the bug issue.

3  Thank D D
Kathy K, General Manager at Beach Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for posting your recent Beach Cove Resort experience and for complimenting the staff on being helpful and friendly. There are plans for correcting many of the unit maintenance issues you mentioned and I sincerely apologized for the bug issue your experienced. I hope you will return to Beach Cove for your next vacation and see our improved product.

There are newer reviews for Beach Cove Resort

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We come to Myrtle Beach every year, and prefer to stay more north in the Cherry Grove section in a garden style condo (which we did for a week) but had to stay an additional 2 days for a basketball tournament.
At first we were like wow, but that opinion changed pretty quick. The building needs some updating and cleaning. The elevators are slow and very hot. The room was not in the best repair (peeling wall paper, worn cabinets, no remote in the bedroom, clogged sink) and there were dirty linens in a closet and on the bed. The bedroom is dark and the lighting is not adequate.
The pool area was fine, but the beach is small...just not what we are used to.

3  Thank Donna l

Thank you for your response and for posting the feedback and sharing your observation. We certainly value the response; I do however apologize that your experience was anything less than exceptional. Beach Cove Resort's team pride themselves in giving outstanding service to all of our guests.I do apologies that during your stay we were unable to deliver the great expectation that you rightfully deserve. Your comments have been shared with our team to begin taking corrective measures on the repairs and maintenance that needs to be done in the units and our improvements in housekeeping. I sincerely hope you will afford us with another opportunity to provide you with an outstanding vacation.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Excellent location but housekeeping is horrendous! When I arrived, I was allowed early check-in but I sure do regret it. I did a walk through to check out the room and found that the beds hadn't been changed from the previous guests. The housekeeper just made the beds and kept moving. There was a huge pee stain in the middle of one bed and the pillow cases had stains and holes on both of them and nasty hair in the second bed and some type of stain on the mattress cover. (it took them 3 hours to send someone up to change bed covers.) There was hair on the floor under the toilet and old dried out cereal on the living room floor by the table (this stayed on the floor for our entire stay so I know first hand that the housekeeper wasn't doing their job efficiently). The towels and wash clothes are dingy and the furniture had nasty stains all on the seats. Very disappointing and Management isn't much better than the staff. They did nothing to compensate me for the inconvenience of having to endure the nasty, disgusting, unsanitary conditions of that room. He apologized but didn't really seem sincere about it as they're probably use to those type of complaints. I showed him picture just so he know I wasn't making this up. It was very disappointing.

Room Tip: If you can't get an updated room, don't bother. The other rooms are very dated.
5  Thank SWKfrmDC

Thank you for your feedback, I do sincerely appreciate your time in writing about your recent stay. It is with disappointment that I note our inability to meet your expectations and for that, I would like to sincerely apologize. Please rest assured that your comments have been taken seriously and we are taking great measures to improve our housekeeping department. We appreciate your feedback and I hope to have the opportunity to prove to you that Beach Cove Resort is indeed a premium destination in Myrtle Beach South Carolina.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had stayed here before about two years ago.They were very busy and we had to check in late (about an hour) before we could get in our room! The first day we had our towels in our room, but after that first day, we had to beg for them. I had to use hand towels for a wash cloth for two days out of four...what a treat! We paid 950.00 to stay for four nights and it was not what we expected. The ceiling panels in the bathroom were not even in place...I felt like I was being filmed!!! The beds were nice and the room overall was clean. We were disappointed at the lack of maintenance the building needs. Something needs to be done for the maintenance and the lack of towels, etc. We will not think about staying here again...sorry!

4  Thank Rhonda R

I am very sorry your 2nd stay with us was such a disappointment. We are aware of items that need immediate attention and we are taking actions to correct them. Please check back on Tripadvisor for our reviews when you plan your next vacation and perhaps you will consider returning after seeing improved reviews for Beach Cove Resort.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Thumbnail impressions to make this place worth the money:
- Upon arriving, have the lobby staff smile, warmly greet the visitors and volunteer excessive amounts of information to help them feel welcomed and important. Some of them have been travelling for a long time and need a friendly comforting face to make them smile again. When the guests call the front desk, be friendly to them. Smile (even though it may be hard) and communicate how much you want to help them (even if you don't want to).
- Increase your laundry room facilities and maintain a linen redundancy plan of at least 200% (IOW - if your capacity is 10,000 towels - have 20,000 on hand at all times) and run the laundry 24/7 during peak season to prevent ANY shortages..
- Do NOT allow cleaning service to enter a room without having ALL the items necessary to fully clean and restock the room (IOW - if they don't don't have towels or glasses required to FULLY service the room, they must wait to service the room - no in-and-out and back-and-forth cleaning.
- establish a schedule for cleaning. Set up a specific time for them to be at each room, and work hard to be in the rooms at the same time EVERY day day (within a 45-minute window).
- When cleaning the rooms, CLEAN THEM. If a dish is dirty, replace it with a clean one. If the sink is full, empty it. if items are scattered, then organise them. Cruise lines and Resorts do it, for far more rooms, with much higher overhead. PLUS - the cleaners should realise that many of us will actually tip for GOOD service.
- INCREASE YOUR ELEVATORS and IMPROVE THE ELEVATOR SERVICE!!!!
- Resort Staff should be expected to go out of their way to help make the experience a good one. That means if someone is inconsiderate enough to leave Resort assets lying around, pick it up and return it to its place for the next weary traveler. Greet every guest with a smile and a "Hello" when walking by them on campus.
-if you are going to create a resort impression with the pool deck, make it FEEL that way. Deck chairs should be accessible from EVERY angle - not just from the foot of the chairs.
- Update the rooms. They need it. Badly.

Upon arrival, it appears that management has painted the facade of the building. But then it goes downhill quickly.

Check-In was curt and barely interactive at all. The desk staff simply asked our name, told us where to go and volunteered NO information at all about events, schedules or attractions in the region. No smile. No "Thank You for Visiting." Not even any eye contact.
Upon checking in, the luggage carts were VERY hard to find anywhere around the lobby. The reason? They were all abandoned at various floors with no hope of ever being returned to the lobby. I saw them on a daily basis simply pushed into a corner at the elevator landings and even left in the middle of the parking decks. It would seem easy enough to assign expectations of hotel staff to round them up, and bring them back down to the lobby if they are not actively being used.

The rooms were adequate - but beginning to show their age very badly.
-The safe was broken, and I was never able to get it to work.
-The beds were uncomfortable, and one smelled slightly of urine, while the pull-out sofa was utterly useless: Lumpy, uncomfortable and completely without support.
-The televisions were almost never clear, and reminded me of he old days of aerial antennas with snow and horizontal interference continuously scrolling up the screen on virtually all channels (except broadcast local channels) and many many blank channels included in the "lineup." (Hint: it isn't hard to program the TV's to skip "inactive" cable channels, but again, the "little things" that go a long way to make a vacation great seem to be lost on the staff at this time.
-The bathrooms seemed to be crumbling with a very bad seal between the bathtub and floor, a towel rod that was unsecured and totally unusable for hanging towels, and a wall mounted hair dryer with a cord that dangled well into the bottom of the sink, and had to be physically moved out of the way for fear of electrocution.

The cleaning service was basic - at best, and completely unreliable and unprepared. It was very similar to scheduling an appointment with the cable company - you could expect it sometime between 8 and 3, and never at the same any day.
-Service consisted of smoothing the bed sheets, a cursory lap around the room with a vacuum cleaner, and absconding with the towels and never leaving a full set of towels in their place. There were five people registered in our room and we never once received more than two towels per day. Even upon requesting extra towels, the wait for those towels was excruciating - sometimes taking five hours to arrive in-room.

With all that - NOTHING could prepare you for the elevators. With only six elevators on premises to handle 14 floors of some twenty rooms each floor - that's nearly 300 rooms (most of which were accommodating families) it was a NIGHTMARE! I expect that even in preliminary planning phases, that would raise some alarm bells. While waiting for an elevator to take me down to the lobby where I could re-deposit my luggage cart, I waited for 20 minutes, enduring countless passes by my floor, and when the elevator would arrive, it was generally packed full of people with the same exasperated looks on their faces from having to endure similar circumstances.
To wait 20 minutes to travel down a few floors made me understand why I saw so many carts abandoned around the premises.

The pool deck is nice, but again - it's the little things that make a vacation. The deck is woefully equipped to handle a capacity crowd, and the deck chairs are stacked literally beside each other. With a VERY narrow aisle to navigate between the rows of chairs, it is challenge, but if you have to take a chair in the middle of those rows, you literally are forced to crawl over the entire surface of the chair to access it. There is NO room to walk around it. This communicates a message to the traveler that their comfort is not a priority, and that they are nothing more than a commodity to be endured by the staff.

I am not a fan of the beach, and endure it for the sake of my family. I generally have some respite from the general discomfort and crowds of the beach in good general accomodations. Beach Cove USED TO provide that respite. That is no longer the case.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter, but elevator service is sketchy at best, and will NOT get you down quickly...
3  Thank SIlverSurfer3k1
Kathy K, General Manager at Beach Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Every review gives us the opportunity to learn how we can improve our product and service. I appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of how so many "little things" can pile up to create a very unpleasant experience. I certainly plan to print and use your review as a reminder to the staff that every little thing they do goes a long way with our guests, we need to make sure it is in a positive direction. Thank you so much for posting this and I hope you will return to Beach Cove Resort.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We usually stay at Caribbean Resort and Villas but to change it up we decided to try a different place...Beach Cove was ok...the lobby was dated and hallways smelled...we were in tower C and the elevators were not close. ..and the huge vents blowing hot air on us in the corridors were very annoying..have not seen that at either the Caribbean or The Dunes. .not sure why beach cove has them..we stayed in unit 1005 2 bedroom which was very nice!! For 2 adults and 3 teens it was perfect. You need to purchase more carts!! Hard to find one at check in

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jennifer T

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Beach Cove Resort.The lobby is on schedule with everything ordered to give it a complete make over that should take placed very soon. I am happy that you enjoyed unit 1005 and I hope you will consider returning to Beach Cove and give us another try at making a better impression on you and your family.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

First visit to Beach Cove and the last. Definitely not worth the price paid ($500/night). I've paid that for upscale hotel/resorts and this is certainly not on that level. At the time I made the reservation, because I was skeptical, I requested an updated unit on a middle floor (3 bedroom condo). At check-in it was mayhem at the front desk. I didn't have to wait long, but after the person had given me my room keys I asked if she was able to honor my reservation requests and she looked surprised and looked back at my reservation. She then turned to another agent and asked if that unit was updated. He said yes, he thought so. There were no carts for luggage in the lobby. Had to wait forever for an elevator. Got to room. First thing I always do is look in the bathrooms to make sure they are clean and check the bed linens. Few hairs on the floor in the bathroom and the bed linens are dingy yellow and pilled, but clean. What about clean crisp white sheets people? That should be a standard at any hotel/resort and is in most. The beds were uncomfortable. The carpet was stained in places (was afraid to walk barefoot on carpet). Overall decor was nice. The vent on the door to the air unit was covered in dust. Hinges on a couple of the kitchen cabinets were broken so the doors didn't close all the way. Pools and lazy river were pleasant. Beach is nice, but crowded. Throughout the night, no fear, you could see and hear fireworks. But who likes it so loud that they feel and sound like they are bouncing off your windows every night when you are trying to go to sleep at midnight? Literally felt like someone was shooting at your windows. The only thing I can say that was great about Beach Cove was the location in relation to shopping, restaurants, and golf.

3  Thank Karen B

I am so sorry that your first Beach Cove experience has turned out to be your last. I would like to speak to you further about your stay and ask if you will please contact me at your convenience at 843-918-7765 or gm@beachcove.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Myrtle Beach
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach Resort
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Ce...
#6 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
#18 of 209 in Myrtle Beach
Caribbean Resort And Villas
Caribbean Resort And Villas
#26 of 209 in Myrtle Beach

Been to Beach Cove Resort? Share your experiences!