“Loved It”

Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in North Myrtle Beach
north carolina
“Loved It”
Reviewed 6 July 2009

I stayed at by the sea on July 3rd and 4th and left on the fifth with my 12 year old her 13 year old friend my 20 month old toddler and my husband. We had read all the bad reviews before we booked but decided to take our chances. Check in was easy the front desk was helpful. Our room was very clean and the best part was that it was right in front of the pool which was great because I felt comfortable letting the kids play in the pool while I was in the room because I could just look outside and see that they were okay. The lazy river was great my 20 month old fell asleep while on it. The maid service was great also. We had a really good time and I definitly do not think it is bad like others made it out. I also talked to a lady that said she stayed there every summer for rour years and has never had a bad experience.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank hanandlanesmommy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
wv
Reviewed 20 June 2009

this place is absolutely horrible.we were covered in bug bites, all over. not even sure what we were being bit by. assuming bed bugs since the beds were about 30 years old. the towels are about as old. they are thin and rough. not good on sun burnt skin. the lazy river is ok if there are 2-3 people in it, other than that no room to move. we would have been better off sleepin in our vehicle or on the beach, since our bed had as much sand in it as the beach. sheets were never changed.

• Stayed June 2009

Travellers are raving about these North Myrtle Beach hotels

Virginia
Reviewed 1 August 2008

The pictures online were very misleading to say the least;
When we arrived at our room there were several things we noticed,one after the other. A strange musty, mildewy smell, the A/C was not working, several lights did not work..One mattress was ok the other needed replacing. The room was not clean and to make matters worse,a little critter ran across the kitchenette floor when we turned on the light; so we headed back to the office & told them . We were told no refunds! no exceptions! They were very quick about taking my money for a very shoddy room. Please do not stay here. ever! You would be more comfortable sleeping in your car, I assure you.
PS: We never even made it to the pool, Thank God!

• Liked — Not one thing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 19 May 2008

I would just like to say that after reading some of the other reviews I was a little skiptical but...... after checking in my doubts were subsided!!
The place was clean, was in a smoking room - with NO ODOR!!, new carpet - wasn't afraid to walk around barefooted! The room had a "few" minor cosmetic blemishes ( nothing to get upset about ) heck I wasn't staying at the Hilton. For the price we paid we were very satisfied and will stay there again if they don't tear it down first to be replaced by those HIGH priced high rises.

Stayed May 2008
2 Thank 05biker
Reviewed 10 April 2008

Just a few days SHY of ONE Year Ago, My NEW WIFE and I stayed two nights at By The Sea. Five days prior, we were married in Historic Charleston and had lodged in one of the expensive hotels in the Historic District. TRAVELING HOME WE decided to visit Myrtel Beach for a couple of days. We discovered (rediscovered) By The Sea. It is what it is. Has been there for many years and is NOT NEW, Needs some repairs and is small. Cleaning staff can at times be in short supply in the area.
We really enjoyed our stay. The staff were helpful and genuine in their desire that our stay be pleasant. The room was CLEAN (not new) . Yes the AC may struggle in mid-summer, parking is crowded when occupancy is high. The beach is at your property's edge and the pools are sparkling CLEAN. The place is INEXPENSIVE..This is N. MYRTLE BEACH... (wake-up and smell the coffee). I write this review as I make plans for OUR FIRST ANNIVERSARY TRIP. No, we are going to Savannah. BUT, just as our Honeymoon ended with a stay in N. Myrtle and a stay at By The Sea...This Anniversary Trip will ALSO END.

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank ALottaMilesANDmiles
Maryland
Reviewed 28 February 2008

When we arrived the room looked like it had not been cleaned for a long time. The sheets were dirty. There was food on the floor. Our complaining was answered with they have no say over who is hired through the NMB cleaning pool for employers??????????Still donot understand that. They did send someone in to change the sheets and try to clean-up. We still found food under places when we came back after the clean-up. Room dark and old looking. Old window airconditioning units that make alot of noise and put out very little cool air. Cost low to stay there but too much negative to go through during a vacation. Will not go back. Trying condo rentals next time. More cost but hoping for better conditions.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank hwking2
Reviewed 7 June 2006

My family just returned from By the Sea Motel. I had several problems during our stay: the room was NOT at all clean (there was a chicken bone and Cheerios on the floor, the carpet smelled and was stained and it was just in general dirty), the pool was NOT heated as the ad in 2006 NMB Vistor's Guide states, the pool does not open until 10 am (which is terrible if you have two small children who are up at 6 am wanting to get in the pool), the hotel completely ran out of bath towels (and one they stocked to room with had holes all in it), the air conditioning unit was small and did not cool the entire room, there was no handle on the fridge and it was rusty, and all the ac units outside the rooms were rusty. I would not recomend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2006