“horrible”
Review of Avista Resort

Avista Resort
Reviewed 1 June 2014

If you plan to stay at the Avista make sure to know what events are going on in town prior to booking. They rent to bikers, but can not control the crowd. Difficult to get into the parking garage, no security. Could not control the noise, and did not seem to care. Other condos in area do not all except bikers or trailers, take note before you book. I felt like they had our money but did not deliver the quality service. How sad!!! I am not sure if they were just scared to handle things or just could not get a handle on the visitors. Either way, if you can't handle crowd control then limit who you rent to.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DamitaV
Zach F, Front Office Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear DamitaV,

I am very sorry that you did not have an enjoyable experience and that the crowd control was not to your satisfaction. I can assure you that we will use yours and other comments to improve in every area that we can and will certainly take another look at the bike week security and how we can make our guests feel more comfortable. I do want to note that we did have extra security on property and management in many different areas of the hotel to ensure that any unruly guests were handled quickly and efficiently. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future to see how great a stay with us can be.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,355)

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

We were there after bike week so things were much calmer than reports from the week before. Great weather and polite staff! The resort is close to everything you would need for a good vacation! We will be back, but very careful to schedule after any bike festivities.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Zach F, Public Relations Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Rainy Day W,

Thank you for choosing the Avista and taking the time to let us and others know how your stay had gone. We are very happy to see that you were impressed and do plan on returning soon. If you ever have any questions about the area events, please don't hesitate to ask before making your reservation. We look forward to your return and giving you another great experience.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

This hotel would book by the night which I needed. Was very nice on the 5th floor; kitchnette. Was surprised at the room in a very small space. Clean. The only drawback is that the pools are shaded nearly all day since the hotel sits in a half moon shape. Everyone friendly and accommodating except in the restaurant. The area was safe but not very classy for sure. Within walking distance of a small carnival and eating places. Would stay here again for a short stay, esp. for the price.

Room Tip: Be sure you know where your room is situated. I asked for ocean FRONT on 5th floor and it was okay...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bridgett18
Zach F, Front Office Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Bridgett18,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Avista Resort. We are thrilled to see that you had a great time and were impressed with the friendliness of the staff and that you also enjoyed the area. We certainly feel that our location is the best in the area with easy access points and so much to do within walking distance. It sounds like you were in one of our smaller ocean front one bedrooms and I can assure you that there is a more spacious unit on property that we can get you in that you will enjoy with the same great price.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The good: Really great room and view.
The bad: We called for reservations and were never told that we would be sharing the hotel with thousands of folks there for "Black Bikers Week". Hundreds of motorcycles were parked all over the property and guests that were not there for the week were just not welcome.
I was called twice to move my car so motorcycles could park where was parked-- I am on crutches for a few weeks due to a torn Achilles tendon and this was a real pain to do. The access ramp to the lobby was closed so to enter I had to go thru the wet pool area, again not easy to do on crutches. And the spots I moved my car from were then occupied by bike owner’s cars the entire time!
The balconies were rather useless since my girls were catcalled at when they went out on them before dark.
NO SECURITY-outside entrance doors were propped open at all hours
LOUD(!) profane music blared at all hours of the day and night. Motorcycles screamed as they were run up over and over again. Did I mention it WAS LOUD!!!!!
The hotel hosted a pool party in the pool area on Saturday for the bikes that featured a DJ blaring music at easily 130 db and again, if you were not in the biker gangs, you better not attend. So, again, no pool access all day.
Maid service was spotty at best--the room was never swept or vaccumed, towels were left in a pile, beds not made, and garbage not emptied. This place will be trashed in a very short time.
After all this management responded to my requests to get some control of the situation by saying not to worry, all was secure. HA! They totally lost control of the facility. Also, I was not happy that I was paying full price and much of the facility was often off limits to me and my family. His response was to offer $50 off a $1,400 bill. Also was going to send me a coupon for 30% discount for a future booking but, not shockingly, he never sent it.
Bottom line: Management/reservations--IF YOU ARE BOOKING IN THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE FOR A BIKE WEEK TELL THAT TO PEOPLE WHEN THEY BOOK!! Stay away!!
Also, owners of the units that are being rented—heads up, your investment is going to be destroyed quickly.

Room Tip: Be careful when you go. Also, you are on your own--management is no help.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Jerry M

Dear Jerry M,

When your reservation was made, it was done so by a travel agency for you which is why you could not have been told it was a bike week. We do let all of our guests booking during the two bike weeks of May know that there will be a number of bikes at the resort and the area. As we did let you know when we spoke to you previously, we are very sorry for having to have you move your car. The reason we did this was for the safety of all of our guest’s bikers and non-bikers alike. This keeps a lot of the noise of the bikes on the first floor as well as less bikes going above the first floor and the possibility of an accident. In regards to the other issues, we are very sorry for the inconveniences that the bike week caused on your vacation but the comments are not correct. Management was placed on balconies watching the other guests and the guest s were contacted and asked to quiet down, but we are confident in saying that all of the cat calls and yelling was directed to the females that were enjoying the weather and dancing on the balcony and not directed towards your family. During the pool party, we had numerous families attend and had management and security out there as well. All were welcome and the majority of attendees for the pool party were not here for bike week. In regards to security we had at all times a minimum of two security guards in the garage and five members of security on the property side, and we had very little issues during the bike week. With the great job done by our entire staff, this once a year event was business as normal for us and we had no property damage of any kind to speak of.

The $50 dollar credit was for the housekeeping services that you stated were substandard. We would still love for you to come back and have an enjoyable and relaxing vacation and have the same guest experience that the majority of our guests consistently have.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at Avista. We had only planned for a day trip to N. Myrtle, but ended up seeing a vacancy here and decided to stay. We called and booked a room right then. Reservation and check-in went very smooth. The room was clean and orderly. The front desk had toothbrushes and paste for us. And they were even able to address our broken Jacuzzi tub issue promptly. The washer/dryer unit didn't work very well. I had to hang dry our towels. The pool areas were kept clean and well maintained. And the pool bar had the most reasonable prices on drinks that we found our entire trip. The parking deck was a little trashy. But the deck under the resort was well patrolled. We were comfortable and safe.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Sincerely4,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay at the Avista Resort with us. We are happy to hear that you felt comfortable and safe as that is certainly a priority for us, and of course all of our guests. We hope that your next spontaneous trips will also lead you back with us and giving us another opportunity to host you.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I checked in and had to go back down because the guy forgot to activate our keys. There was a pube in our ice bucket eeeewwwwww! The tub didn't look like it was cleaned between guests also pubes in it! There was a dark stain on the wall in the bathroom that looked either like blood or poo. The couch looked older than dirt and felt very uncomfortable. They said they had cable but I don't have cable and got more channels than them and clearer as well. We were charged $150 for smoking on the balcony which was ridiculous because we were told the room was nonsmoking but not the balconies as well! The pools were dirty even first thing in the morning after watching the pool guys "clean" them. The security guy aka Barney Fife was looking for someone to mess with and was quite creepy. The beds were okay. The lobby was pretty. The parking deck was alright. The oven in our room didn't work. It kept saying f3 when we tried to use it and this was after their 150 fine and it was late that night almost midnight so we didn't feel like dealing with them anymore especially with the attitude I received by the lady who called and then they sent the security guard up to make sure we were going to pay the fine 10 mins after they called like we were supposed to run down there and hand it over to them in the middle of the night. We had to get dressed to go downstairs to do this. I wouldn't suggest this resort to anyone and I know I will not be going back there myself! Disgusting rude and ridiculous! The pricing was outrageous too!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Kendramber

Dear Kendramber,

After reviewing your comments on here and Facebook, I personally looked into the stated issues with the room and found that none of the issues were ever called into the front desk which would give us the opportunity to resolve anything that was dirty or that you may have requested in a quick and efficient manner. I also made sure that I got to the room and checked it out and the couch is certainly not in poor shape, there is a new living room chair in the unit, and the homeowner has upgraded all of the counter space to granite and put flat screen TV’s in the living room and bedroom. While I understand that you are frustrated to have been charged $150 dollars for smoking, you did in fact sign the registration card that states no smoking in the rooms or on the balcony. I also made sure that the staff was doing as they should, and saw that they did in fact mention to you at check in, there was no smoking allowed in the rooms or on the balcony.

If you have any questions in regards to our smoking policy or charges, I would welcome you contact me anytime

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Having frequented Myrtle Beach on numerous occasions, this was my first time staying at this hotel. I called and booked two months ahead of time and after arrival check-in went smoothly. When I got to my room it was nothing that I asked for. The room was on the third floor overlooking the lazr river and I had asked for a room above the eighth floor due to others reviews concerning pool noise. I also asked for a newer room and paid extra for it. When I got to the room it reeked of cigarette smoke, the walls were marked up, the furniture was very old, and the room was just old and dingy. I went downstairs with my complaints and Stephanie was very happy to oblige. She gave me a newer room on the 15th floor. The room was very clean with all of the amenities. The only issue was the a/c didn't do a very good job cooling the bedroom. Overall the room was nice and clean, the location very good, and the customer service was great. But for the price versus room quality, I will definitly stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PerryNc

Dear PerryNc,

Thank you so much for letting us know how your recent stay was and areas that we can improve upon as well as the things that impressed you. We are very sorry to hear that the start of the trip was shaky but pleased to see that our staff was able to get everything taken care of for you and yours. We hate to see that you will not be choosing us again in the future and would love another chance to wow you and show you why the Avista is the best place to vacation in the area.