“2014 Summer Vacation”

Avista Resort
Ridley Park, Pennsylvania
“2014 Summer Vacation”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Recently spent our vacation at the Avista and couldn't be happier with our stay there. Arrived too early (2:30) to get a room key so decided to go to the local WalMart to stock up on "in room" supplies. The desk clerk said that I would be called when room (828) was ready. Finished our shopping and got back to Avista around 4 and no call yet. After driving 10+ hrs from Pa, I was starting to hit a wall and wasn't in any mood for delays. Went to the desk and me being polite, waited in the line with the other 4pm check in people. Once waited on, and watching the clerk, I discovered that the keys were ready and at the end of the desk. Which means that the room was probably ready earlier, but not even 1 clerk was assigned the task of calling the early check-ins that their room was ready. But nothing to fret about. The room was spacious enough for the 4 of us and even though I took care of the trash, the housekeepers were more than helpful to exchange the towels for clean ones. The elevators were slow/crowded as "beach people" and new tenants were always overlapping. But during summer season, that is to be expected so no biggie. There was always someone cleaning the pool deck/chair area. Didn't use the pool at all. After all the Atlantic was all I needed! Besides I think that the 2 side pools are WAY TOO SMALL for the amount of people for both towers. I know that the Avista won't take my advice, but I would totally eliminate the existing pool area and make 1 giant pool and maybe keep the 2 hot tubs.
I don't want any readers to be discouraged by this review because every individual will find something even though petty, to complain about, but our family loves staying at the Avista. Location is great and not far from clubs, restaurants and fun for all. Would/Will definitely be coming back!!!!!!!

1 Thank joeyc049
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for spending your 2014 vacation with us and for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate all the comments as they only help us provide the service we expect and many times our guests give us wonderful ideas. Though one large pool may not make it, we need lots of deck space for folks to just relax we do appreciate it. We added the back sandy beach this year as we had guest comments on the back yard barely able to grow any grass and then added foot washes as guests commented on cleaning up before getting in the beach, so they all help us to be better. Thank you too for noticing and commenting on our staff, as we are very proud of them. We are grateful to see you are coming back and look forward to 2105!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
jersey city
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was our first time in Myrtle Beach, North side to be exact (myself, husband, kids 11, 12). It was an excellent short stay (8/4-7) at this fabulous resort, last minute pick and it turned out wonderful, everyone had a good time, next time we will plan for a longer stay as we did not get to venture out to the entire area. Got there late on the first day, cloudy and humid but people were still in the pool and beach. The next day, there was some passing showers in the morning, it stopped then turned out beautiful the rest of the day. We all loved the room as it was so spacious, king bed, huge spacious bathroom with jetted tub, washer/dryer, full size refrigerator, micro, stove, all very convenience. The murphy and sofa beds were so convenient for the kids, they loved it. We had an oceanfront room on the 7th floor, beautiful, most of all, it was clean. The coffee was excellent, maid service was very good. The hot tub on the inside was large but the chlorine was burning our eyes, so we went to the outside. The lazy rivers are ok, but kinda slow. The pool area workers are always mopping or cleaning up. The ocean was rough on the second day so we stayed in the pool area. the last day turned out to be the best, nice weather, ocean was good, pool was not too crowded, always a chair. The resort is near lots of shopping on Ocean Drive and Main Street. The ice cream was delicious right at the corner of Ocean Drive and Main Street. The boardwalk on Myrtle Beach is about ½ hour drive on Route 17 south, crowded, but good. Also on Route 17, there are lots of shops, eateries and everything else. An excellent place to eat is the “Smokin Hot” restaurant. It is located at the Barefoot Landing area which is a must visit area. There is an amazing walkway bridge that leads you to the other side where there is more stores and restaurants. Captain Jack’s seafood buffet was very good too. We loved this resort and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: ocean front rooms are always the best
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Well as a first time visitor to North Myrtle Beach welcome. Thank you for a great review on our resort and the local area. I like the BBQ please Smokin Hot as well and the entire Main Street area. I most want to thank you for noticing how hard the staff work around the pools to keep them up as it is a tough job sometimes and we too are proud of them. We do hope you make us your vacation h9ome and spend many more wonderful weeks with us.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My stay was wonderful. The room was beautiful, and the food was extremely good. The response to problems was fast and excellent. We stayed in the room or on the beach, and we were pleased that our room faced the water. The beach area was clean and well attended.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cynthia I
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
So nice to hear you had a great time. We appreciate the time you took to respond.
Springfield, Ohio
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed August 9 -16 2014. 3 generations stayed comfortably in 3 bedroom 3 bath condo. Unit 620, independently owned, managed by Elliott Realty.
Can't say enough about Elliott and would rent through them again. Darlene, manager of Ocean Dr office especially helpful in resolving issues with unit.

Balcony, view, master suite all great. Other two bedrooms have private baths also, and are nicely furnished, especially since now have 3 new mattresses. New micro. Unit clean enough for us. Grout in master tub could use a little extra effort.
Living room small and needs a better tv. All 4 tv's in unit old style.
We ate most meals in, and condo had everything we needed, and in good shape.

Avista Resort excellent! Staff always cleaning common areas and pools, and all were friendly, especially Cornelius who works the congested unload area. He was always cheerful and would open door for everyone returning from beach.
Best advice for unloading, loading at Avista is don't try to do weekend between 3pm and 8 pm.
Other reviews mentioned elevator waits which was not issue our week.

Family loved the many pool, hot tub options.
Inconsiderate, childish guests put beach towels on 12 best pool chairs each morning at 8 but did not use until noon. Like cats marking their territory. Shame on them. Avista would do nothing but said we could move a towel if we wanted to use a chair.
Convenient beach access.
Lovely resort.

Had to work my vacation and wifi worked great in room and on balcony.

Parking across street in garage and top floor more space for larger vehicles.

Washer worked fine, but had to dry in 4th floor laundry room. Only $1.00. Washer/dryer combo in room very odd.

Owner needs to update living room furniture, w/d, and add at least large flat screen in living room.

Room Tip: All rooms oceanfront, so floor is personal preference. 6th worked great for us.
1 Thank Revuguru
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
We appreciate the positive comments about our staff and the cleanliness of the property thank you for noticing as our staff does work so hard, and it is always appreciated. We are grateful though that you have had great service through your rental company, as we want the guests of all our Condo owners to feel well taken care of. We do hope in the future you may look at some of the other 3 bedroom room types we have available through the Avista Resort and we feel you will enjoy the layouts and get to experience our daily housekeeping service and on site maintenance should anything come up. Thank you again for taking the time to write and for mentioning some great employees by name. Best Regards,
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We were visiting Myrtle Beach for my bachelorette party weekend. We arrived at the check in parking and my vehicle was streaked a substance that at first glance appeared to be water however we were unable to wipe it off (I was driving my new 2015 vehicle) we reported it to the on duty evening manager Bill who was awesome and was prompt to look at the vehicle. He requested we take it to get a wash and they'd take care of it. We did so to my surprise it was unable to be removed with a wash. I immediately call the resort to ask what to do next and another on duty manager Zach fraiser who initially would not accept the call became immediately hostile and rude and even laughing saying he would not pay for the repair a mere $100 to remove the mineral water deposits from the pipe I was told could cause permanent damage to my paint. He stated he didn't believe it happened at his property where I was staying. He refused to speak with car care manager. He stated he was the highest level manager at the property and it was my problem. To my surprise this conversation was being overheard by a concerned citizen who happened to work on the Myrtle Beach chamber of commerce who immediately made a call to someone and to me it would be handled. I retuned to the resort and the manager refused to come out and speak with me!
BE AWARE this a KNOWN issue in the parking garage! My opinion stay somewhere else that values the customer! It would have been a great visit if this had not happened!

• Stayed August 2014
5 Thank Lisa020213
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Lisa first we are truly sorry you had any issue at the Resort and we are grateful you came to celebrate here. We can understand you not being happy with the customer service as most of us grade our satisfaction with how we feel it should go. We did contact the car wash you were at and paid for the cleaning service even though our manager Zach advised you he did not feel the property caused any of the damage we saw on your car. I talked with him and our Chief Engineer about the condensation leak and I saw the water dripping and am comfortable that this is not the cause. We had another person out with you that day who came up at the same time and when we ran a hose all the drops disappeared as my staff said happened with the water that got on to your car but the colored stains they did not believe occurred here. I was called after you left the FD unhappy and I advised Zach that though I agreed it was not our fault that as upset as you were just take the high road and reach out and do more that we are required. Within 5 minutes, a friend called to tell my how upset you were and I assured him though we were not at fault we were reaching out and we would pay for your entire car to be cleaned, which we did. I was surprised to read this review but I understand that you have every right to feel the way you do and I wanted to also express how we felt about the situation. I am grateful we did the right thing by you and only wish you would have appreciated the effort but we do hope over time you will realize that we did resolve this for you with the feelings we had about the responsibility as our reaching out says more about our service than we may have been given credit for and we wish you do have a chance to come back and see the caring staff, that I know we have, and that you will see Zach too in a different light.
Riverside, Connecticut
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed here for our annual family summer vacation and had a blast. The BEACH IS AWESOME. Nice place to eat on the first floor with very friendly staff. Like others have said ,it is very true that parking can be a problem and elevators are very slow. Nice indoor and outdoor pools. Make sure you stay higher so as pool noise wont bother you. We will visit again!

Room Tip: Make sure to stay above the 5th floor so you cant hear the noise at the pool.
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Nice to see you have made the Avista your family’s vacation home for your annual vacation, we are so pleased to also see the very kind words about our staff, and that you truly enjoyed your Beach Days…
Ashland, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Have stayed here before. Building design is great with excellent views from any floors. Booked two rooms for our entire family. grandkids enjoyed both the pools and the ocean. Fun place. Would stay here again but would fly down and rent a car. Drive on 95 especially through Virginia was horrible.

Room Tip: 3 bedrooms on the corners have the best views.
1 Thank Peter M
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Sorry about the drive, I hope you do find a less stressful way to get here, but we are glad you have chosen to return. I hope you noticed the changes, especially the sandy beach and games for the grandkids and that you make us your vacation home in North Myrtle Beach.
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Myrtle Beach
The Prince Resort
The Prince Resort
#4 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,030 reviews
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach Resort
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,436 reviews
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Ce...
#6 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,573 reviews
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard
#1 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach

Been to Avista Resort? Share your experiences!