“Winter Weekend Getaway”
Review of Avista Resort

Avista Resort
Reviewed 1 February 2007

I have been staying in N. Myrtle Beach for years next door at the Maritime where my mom is an owner. On my last stay there I saw the Avista and was very curious as to what it was like. We booked a two night stay in a 1 bedroom oceanfront condo. The condo sleeps 8 ( 2 double beds in the bedroom, 1 double murphy bed in the wall, & sleeper sofa).

I really HATE the parking situation. I found it a difficult and not easily managed traveling alone with a 3 year old. I parked in registration parking & went upstairs to check in. I then came back down to my vehicle to get our luggage loaded on a cart & back up to the 7th floor to unload. Back down to registration parking to return the cart & move my vehicle across the street. In hindsight next time I will take my luggage with me to check in to avoid another trip down. I have read other reviews and was surprised to hear the hotel has bellman to help with luggage. There was never anyone there when I visited. Perhaps it's the off season and visits are shorter.

Even tho I disliked the parking situation immensely, I have already booked a return trip for another two nights this weekend. I'll tell you why:

a. great indoor pool & lazy river
b. great value
c. free highspeed internet

Most other hotels in the area do not have an indoor pool and if so they don't have a lazy river. Other hotels are older and the reviews are not as good & other hotels charge for internet or only have it available in the lobby area.

The rooms are adequate. I am not fond of the pedestal sink. There's a lot of room to put in a counter sink with loads of storage, but they opted for asethics over practicality.

The beds are okay, but not particularly comfortable. I did hear noise from others while trying to fall asleep. I wasn't going to sleep at an early hour either.

While I was there I think the maids reprogrammed the door because when I came back from Broadway at the Beach my door key wouldn't work. I had stopped to pick up lunch on my way back to the hotel and after parking across the street, going up to my room, & back down to registration & waited in line for quite awhile while the staff was dealing with new check ins & got my keycard reprogrammed & back up to my room again my lunch was of course cold. No one even apologized for the inconveniece,

I am going back tho so I guess that says something about the place.

Oh, BTW, the washer/dryer is crazy!!! It took me forever to figure out how to get the door open. Then I realized if I just waited for hours and hours it would unlock by itself. I had no idea they made machines that did both washing & drying. I think they should have just gotten a cheap stackable set than this ridicolous thing. I mean there is plenty of room in that closet for a stackable.

I posted some photos that you won't find on the Avista website.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
9  Thank kellycrash

Reviewed 26 January 2007

We stayed at the Avista for one night (although we booked for two) in October 2006. At check in we were told that everything in the room had just been inventoried and that if anything was missing when we left we would be charged. (Um, gee, okay.) We were them asked to pay the balance of our two-night charge (one night had been paid in advance). Yikes, really an off-putting reception.

The rooms are nice and big and clean. The drawback for me was the balcony - the building is horseshoe shaped, so when I was on the balcony I could see everyone else's balcony, and they could see ours too if they looked. I could tell who had their TVs on, who was sitting outside, who was eating...It reminded me of "Rear Window." If you like to sit in your undies drinking coffee looking at the ocean, don't stay at the Avista.

Rain moved in so we decided to check out a day early. When we went to the front desk, the only thing they said was, "You will be charged for tonight."

By the way, the beach was littered with cigarette butts.

I'm quite astounded by all the positive reviews.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lilblue
Reviewed 18 January 2007

We were staying at a different resort in North Myrtle Beach but after taking a drive we saw the Avista Resort and made an inquiry on availability and rates. To my surprise, the rate was extremely reasonable so we made a reservation and moved over to the Avista. What an absolute delight this resort is......truly beautiful and in a breathtaking location. To go to sleep with the sound of the ocean and to wake up with that view is priceless. We had a 2 bedroom on the first floor which was the perfect location to easily get to the pool and restaurant. My kids were thrilled with the indoor pool and lazy river. My only regret is that I didn't stay here for the entire visit to North Myrtle Beach. I will return again though in the very near future.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
15  Thank Lmcintyre
Reviewed 8 January 2007

My son and I spent Christmas weekend at Avista, and had a blast. We were looking to spend Christmas at the beach and Avista's rates were reasonable. The folks at the front desk were very helpful and friendly, when I made a request for extra towels etc. I received a phone call a little later to make sure I had received what I requested and to ask if there was anything else we needed. The front desk helped us purchase our Christmas dinner and show, making the reservations and giving us directions on how to get there. Next time we need an escape to the beach I will be checking with Avista to see if they have availablity.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
12  Thank zlacarl2
Reviewed 8 January 2007

My friend and I decided to take a Winter weekend beach trip to do some shopping and see the Christmas Show at Carolina Opry. We booked a room at Crown Reef. As I would tell people that we were going to beach and where we were staying, they said strongly recommend we change our hotel and said to try Avista Resorts instead (that came from 4 people). So, I looked Avista up online, called and booked us a room and never in my life imagined that we would have such a NICE stay! The rooms were just perfect and smelt good! The beds were crisp with a nice closet in the bedroom, the kitchen was so nice and the pull down bed was very comfortable. There was a washer/dryer in the a small closet off the kitchen. In the living room was a small table that fitted us great to eat breakfast in the morning and then play UNO in the evenings. The view of the ocean was just wonderful and we could also see the hot tub and pools. Last but not least, the bathroom was so nice. The tub was a nice garden size with a shower, had a pedestal sink and nice vaniety. All and all, I can't wait for summer time to book my stay at Avista Resorts. I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else. All the staff we talked to were so nice and accomodating. We had walked on the beach one day and wanted to take showers and the maid staff was cleaning. I mentioned to them if they could wait about an hour, they said no problem, just put your DND sign up and we will come back later, how nice! Well, I will conclude. If you are looking for a new place to stay, I HIGHLY recommend Avista Resorts! The only bad thing about our whole stay is the parking is across the road in a parking deck, if good weather it's fine, if raining, be prepared. Hope you book your stay with them and enjoy yourselves! Also, if you are looking for a great show to watch I also recommend the Carolina Opry!!

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with friends
16  Thank covegirl
Reviewed 2 January 2007

We spent 4 nights in room "L" on the 17 floor. We had an ocean view from the living room and a city view from the bedroom. Very clean and well taken care of. Check-in and check-out was quick and easy. Only problem is the washer/dryer combo in the room. It is a joke!! Plan on using the guest laundry on the 4th floor. Would definitely return to the Avista.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
15  Thank MyrtleLovers
Reviewed 18 December 2006

We booked our room through Century 21 Thomas' web site which gave us a MUCH better price than booking through Avista and we got to pick our room. We stayed in 1414 in Avista II which is the north side of the building. The condo has 2 balconies front & rear with AMAZING views! The living room wall is all glass and has a northern exposure which I think is one of the best in the resort.! You can see the Cherry Grove Pier and almost all the way to the inlet and uninhabited island. The room was spotless and very well appointed. There was even a bloender for our daiquiris! The beach is wide and very clean. We went for long walks and we enjoyed every minute of our stay. There's even a murphy bed that comes out of the wall! This one bedroom sleeps 8. We are definitely going to go back to 1414 again.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
12  Thank BeachLoverMaryland
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Myrtle Beach
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach Resort
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach R...
#5 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
The Prince Resort
The Prince Resort
#2 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Ce...
#7 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
#16 of 209 in Myrtle Beach
North Beach Plantation
North Beach Plantation
#1 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach

Been to Avista Resort? Share your experiences!