“NEVER AGAIN! !!!!!!”

Southern Lodge
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Orangeburg
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Hubby and I stayed one night on July 23rd
1. Would not honor internet rate or rate on flashing billboard.
2. Room reeked of smoke
3. Covers had cigarette burns
4. Housekeeping entered our room twice although *do not
disturb* sign was on door
5. Charged my card $5 more than what I was quoted
6. Didn't try to wow me as a possible returning customer after I advised my son was
in college and we would be back and forth at least for next 2 years!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Deewash8

Reviewed 24 July 2014

The bad first: pay in cash or your credit card will be charged an extra fee. Do not use Priceline or any other booking internet company, another fee added and do not stay on Saturday or Sunday or you will be slammed with another $30 for the weekend rate, even tough the lodge is barely full. Odd cancellation policy, therefore we were stuck. Read contract carefully before booking. Breakfast not great..frozen sausage biscuits, Sunny Delight for a choice of orange juice...

The good: friendly staff, clean room and bathroom, and a nice comfy bed. The room was a two star and not worth $92 with the taxes included. It is said you get what you pay for, but we learned a lesson...all that glitters is not gold and this lodge should not be rated #1 in the area.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank saldontur
Reviewed 19 July 2014

There are a lot of motels in Orangeburg. I stayed in a different one two years ago but it was no longer open. (It was fine when I stayed but later reviews indicated it had gone downhill badly.) I picked Southern primary because of its ground floor rooms and near door parking. I was absolutely amazed when I got to my room. It had everything I could think of. It was clean and comfortable. And the service staff was exceptional. (Thank you Tanika and Ieesha.) Highly recommended!
Only negative was the AT&T ISP which was not working and I was told wouldn't be until Monday. I was there on a Friday.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms. Near room parking.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Stopped here on way to Florida, arrived around 1 am. Got in and out quickly. The staff was really nice . Room was clean. Breakfast was simple but included in our stay. Check out was easy and back on the road! I would stay again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Going on the advice of tripadvisor, I booked two consecutive nights at southern lodge on hwy 601 just off I-26. The servicing staff was excellent but I had more surprises coming. When we got our room, it was dimly lite and I guess to hide the dirt and dust. Sitting at the desk with my lap top, I felt something crawling on my knee. I was wearing shorts and looked down at a large black spider,which I killed and took the managers office. Asking if they had any other surprises for me, I was informed that when it rains, the spiders come inside. That's everyday for rain in SC.

We were booked in room 116 if this helps and we were sandwiched between two truckloads of Mexicans that hung sheet rock. They drank a case of corona beer every night and sat on the sidewalk just outside of our room until around midnight. So much for peaceful sleep when this talking and revelry is going on.

The coffee was excellent in the mornings but I could not stand the mildew covered rod ends in the shower, nor could I take the noise of fan in the bathroom. Dust bunnies covered the walls as well as plastered over wall paper that had never been sanded, just painted over. What a disappointment that lodging was. I guess you get what you pay for in Orangeburg, SC.

Room Tip: Don't get a room with sheet rock hangers on both sides of you. Stay in a higher priced hotel t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My sister and I stopped here coming home from a funeral. The people were courteous and friendly. Didn't care for the breakfast, frozen stuff! Nothing very appealing. Hard to get in and out of it. Would stay again if up this way.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We called when we were an hour away and Latoya was very courteous and helpful. The room is very clean, comfortable and well priced. The lobby had lots of good is for sale ad well as wine. We enjoyed the flat screen tv too!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends