“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Orangeburg
Johnstown, Ohio
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Southern Lodge. The room could use some paint and updates but it was clean and didn't smell. The women who worked the front desk were great and really friendly. They made the stay very enjoyable. We would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Rainelle, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I was very happy with the friendliness of the staff and the helpfulness they made available. A really great place to stay. The staff was very friendly, helpful, and proffisnal. I indeed to stay there any time I am in that area again.

Paul Gibson

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Hilliard, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stopped here as a last minute discussion. I had run into bad weather traveling. I usually stay at the Hampton, but didn't have the funds for that, this time. My rate was very inexpensive. I felt safe because of the cameras, I told the clerk, I was alone, and asked if it was safe, she said it was and showed me the cameras, she put me in a room right up front. They were very friendly and helpful. My room was very large, king size bed, lots of light, very clean. I like lots of light, because I want to make sure my room is clean, and it was. My bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was light, but that was okay with me, as I am a light eater. They were very friendly when I checked out. I would recommend this motel. I paid in cash.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Louisville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

If you stay at this motel, PAY IN CASH!! They will add on additional hidden fees after you're long gone and can do nothing about it. The service sucked and the lady at the front desk was rude and argumentative with me. They have cameras everywhere and are watching your every move as though you're some criminal rather than a paying customer. Yet they allow a group of Mexicans to have a party on site, playing very loud music, drinking, and talking very loudly. The rooms are very expensive and not worth the rate. We found someone's old beer in the refrigerator and the room had a very strong odor to it. I will NEVER stay here again!!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Vacationer7777
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Hubby and I stayed one night on July 23rd
1. Would not honor internet rate or rate on flashing billboard.
2. Room reeked of smoke
3. Covers had cigarette burns
4. Housekeeping entered our room twice although *do not
disturb* sign was on door
5. Charged my card $5 more than what I was quoted
6. Didn't try to wow me as a possible returning customer after I advised my son was
in college and we would be back and forth at least for next 2 years!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Deewash8
Columbus
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

The bad first: pay in cash or your credit card will be charged an extra fee. Do not use Priceline or any other booking internet company, another fee added and do not stay on Saturday or Sunday or you will be slammed with another $30 for the weekend rate, even tough the lodge is barely full. Odd cancellation policy, therefore we were stuck. Read contract carefully before booking. Breakfast not great..frozen sausage biscuits, Sunny Delight for a choice of orange juice...

The good: friendly staff, clean room and bathroom, and a nice comfy bed. The room was a two star and not worth $92 with the taxes included. It is said you get what you pay for, but we learned a lesson...all that glitters is not gold and this lodge should not be rated #1 in the area.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank saldontur
Atlantic Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

There are a lot of motels in Orangeburg. I stayed in a different one two years ago but it was no longer open. (It was fine when I stayed but later reviews indicated it had gone downhill badly.) I picked Southern primary because of its ground floor rooms and near door parking. I was absolutely amazed when I got to my room. It had everything I could think of. It was clean and comfortable. And the service staff was exceptional. (Thank you Tanika and Ieesha.) Highly recommended!
Only negative was the AT&T ISP which was not working and I was told wouldn't be until Monday. I was there on a Friday.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms. Near room parking.