“Don't tell”
Review of The Pelican Inn

The Pelican Inn
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I would like to tell you how awesome this place is and has been for years, But; If i did, chances are I would have a more difficult time with reservations next year than I did this year. If your looking for 60 in. flatscreen with super sound and a poptart breakfast, think Holiday Inn, this is not your kind of place. If you crave a beach atmosphere that is nearly the same as in the 60's, this is as close as it comes.

Room Tip: The website describes all rooms in detail. pick one that fits your needs.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Southerncoaster

Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

TMFotter's review got this place exactly right. This is the place for people who are not looking for chain lodging or hi-rise condos. The location is stunning. Picture an 1844 rustic beach retreat nestled between an amazing marsh and a live oak forest just over the dunes from the ocean. I am laying in a hammock now on their arched porch in a cool breeze after a huge homemade breakfast with real grits, fresh fruit, fresh made cheese biscuit, eggs and much more. Pawleys Island invented the words laid back. This could be habit forming. The beautiful beach is not private but it seems so. It is unexpectedly underpopulated. There probably is public access someplace but not near pelican inn. Pelican has its own boardwalk through the live oak forest over the dunes past little decks and outdoor showers to the beautiful beach. Corinne and her staff cook two amazing meals a day. There is a historic living room and a dining room and kitchen on the first floor with bedrooms along a central corridor on the second floor. The beds are comfy - three in our room for the family and there are colorful new oreads and rugs and nice linens. The bath rooms are basic and shared. The room needs painting and that's really what stood between 4 and 5 stars for me. It won't stop my family from returning. At 250 a night right on the ocean with two home cooked meals for the family, it's a good value. Ahhh this hammock is so comfy Is so comfy I may quit my job and move in here.

• Stayed: July 2012
6  Thank jimjade3
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My husband and I returned for a second year to Corinne Taylor's Pelican Inn. This year, we stayed two nights instead of the one we spent last year because one day isn't enough time to experience all that Corinne and her daughters have to offer. The Inn has everything we enjoy at the beach -- a quiet, relaxing spot along the water; a beautiful, clean house; and delicious, home-cooked meals complete with biscuits that melt in your mouth! The whole experience is charming. All winter long, I will look forward to the Taylor Family's hospitality when I return next summer.

Room Tip: Rooms with private baths are available.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank crummiemummie
Reviewed 20 July 2012

This review might be viewed as negative. Believe me, it is not. My extended family and I spent a week at the Pelican Inn, and loved every second of it. The Taylor family does an absolutely spectacular job, and they run the Pelican Inn the exact right way that it is supposed to be run. I write this review in this way because the Taylors obviously enjoy what they do, but it doesn't serve anyone's purposes -- including theirs -- if someone comes to the Inn who isn't likely to appreciate its quirks.

Because this experience is not for everyone. As the building itself is quite old, the Inn is somewhat rustic. The rooms are very nice, the beds comfortable, but the walls and doors are quite thin, and in many cases bathrooms must be shared. The other guests can hear almost everything that goes on in your room. There is an outdoor shower with hot water that my family used, and loved. But if you are someone who enjoys privacy and does not do well without the highest level of creature comforts, or would describe yourself as "uptight" or if a four star hotel is your definition of "roughing it" (I'm not judging!) this might not be something you would enjoy. We very quickly got into the swing of things, and didn't mind at all.

Similarly, the meals (breakfast and lunch only) are served family style at set times. If you're a picky eater, or you are someone who doesn't want to have that much structure, you might not enjoy this. We loved it. LOVED it. Our children have some food allergies, and Miss Corrine very gladly accommodated us for our meals. She is a wonderful cook, and she took input from us during the week to see what we might like to try. We are a bit of a foodie family, and I can honestly say that during the week, she didn't miss on a single dish. They were all really, really good. Dinner is on your own. There are good restaurants in Pawleys Island,

Besides meals, your time at the Inn is exceedingly unstructured. You'll have a beautiful stretch of beach almost to yourself, hammocks and rocking chairs everywhere (and the sunsets are magnificent!!), you can fish, go crabbing, or you can arrange for other activities like golf, tennis, kayaking, shopping, etc. For the most part, you're on your own. Folks who are looking for structured activities (think cruise ship) or endless variety (larger resort or city) or even a pool might find this a bit slow.

I hope this review reads as I intended it -- our experience was overwhelmingly awesome. My family is planning to return to the Pelican Inn many times. This was an experience that hit us absolutely right.

Room Tip: Room 7 has glorious afternoon light and looks out over the Pawleys Creek.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank TMFOtter
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I discovered the Pelican Inn by doing internet searches. While usually wary of pretty pictures and fabulous reviews, I decided to make the trip with my family. We found a gem! Can't wait to go back! Location awesome. Miss Corrine's breakfast and mid day meals are worthy of a Southern Living spread and the hospitality was flawless.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank jeff p
Reviewed 10 July 2012

My family of 4 with a teen and a tween had the best beach vacation at the Pelican Inn. When I read the reviews I thought it was too good to be true but it was more than I could have hoped. It was like staying in a large beach house with friends and having a chef and a staff to take care of you! The Pelican Inn is our new family tradition.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank allisonsc
Reviewed 8 July 2012

If you're looking for a piece of heaven, look no further than the Pelican Inn on Pawleys Island.  The warmth and hospitality offered here by the Taylor family, qualifies them for duty at the Pearly Gates.  Seriously, if you're in need of some good old fashioned rest and relaxation, you will certainly find it here.  This small quaint inn - only 8 rooms - is located right on what may be the quietest section of Pawleys Beach.  My wife and I walked a mile in each direction and discovered crowds on each end, but nestled in our little spot was true peace and tranquility.  For a reasonable nightly rate, you'll find charmingly appointed  rooms with air conditioning to keep you cool when you escape the beach.  Also included are breakfast and a mid afternoon lunch, served with true Southern hospitality.  The food is some of the best Southern cooking I've ever had.   Sunsets can be easily viewed from hammock or rocking chair along the porch and you're almost certain to enjoy dolphin sightings along the beach.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Hampton Inn Murrells Inlet/Myrtle Beach Area
Best Western Pawleys Island
Best Western Pawleys Island
#4 of 6 in Pawleys Island

Been to The Pelican Inn? Share your experiences!