We have been visiting the Litchfield Inn for almost 30 years. My parents before us went there since it was built. So I have a lot of memories invested there as well as experiences staying in a lot of different rooms. The management seems to change continuously. This time we stayed in the Tower, with a magnificent ocean view from floor to ceiling. Room view alone is worth the 8 hour drive to get there, for me. However, there is work that needs to be done. The weather is brutal for any building (salt air, humidity, extreme weather) but for the price we pay I expect things to be of a better quality. The main balcony door is barely able to be opened any more (and i've been in that room for the past 25 years). The 2 remaining windows in that room, which you need for some nice cross-ventilation, do NOT open at all, they seem rusted shut. As for the sleeping, there is the standard thin sheet (which was not changed for 10 days) and the yucky comforter that doesn't get washed in who knows how long (like in any hotel). The reclining chair, which looks like leather, had such a strong chemical odor to it that i couldn't breathe while sitting next to it. Also, the wooden fence surrounding the sand dunes, which protect the dunes and prevent stragglers from trodding all over them, is completely torn apart and broken, giving a downtrodden look to the place. Again, the view erases all of this as each day goes on. And when we first entered our room, there was a big water leak coming from the ceiling (something about frozen AC pipes) and management gave us a discount on our room because of that. It is worth noting that we booked the room on their own website which advertised an "early bird special" for booking early, but once we got down there the EXTREMELY uninterested blonde at the front desk simply said they no longer had that deal and that they had (once again) new management. The employees at the front desk need to take some additional training as far as customer service is concerned, i get the distinct impression that they get so many complaints they are not responsive any more. Where I work you would get fired for that kind of attitude. I wrote all of these complaints to their management company in Charleston, who very kindly responded by changing their misleading internet ad (they also advertised free HBO which doesn't exist at all there) and offering me 2 free nights on my next visit. I only bothered to do this because my combined family has been going there for 40+ years and have lots of memories there, so I care about the place. I still plan to return because that strip of beach is the most beautiful in the world to me and the views from the hotel are stunning. The hotel needs to recognize what a gem of a location they have and spruce up the place to justify the high rates they charge.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A classic South Carolina Oceanfront Resort. The hotel is situated on quiet and serene Litchfield Beach, yet only minutes from faster paced Myrtle Beach. Are attractions include Caledonia Golf and Fish Club, Brookgreen Gardens and Pawleys Plantation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Oceanfront Litchfield Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oceanfront Litchfield Hotel Pawleys Island
- The Litchfield Hotel
- Litchfield Hotel Pawleys Island