“Needs more work.... but I still love it...”

Oceanfront Litchfield Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Pawleys Island
Reviewed 7 May 2009

We have been visiting the Litchfield Inn for almost 30 years. My parents before us went there since it was built. So I have a lot of memories invested there as well as experiences staying in a lot of different rooms. The management seems to change continuously. This time we stayed in the Tower, with a magnificent ocean view from floor to ceiling. Room view alone is worth the 8 hour drive to get there, for me. However, there is work that needs to be done. The weather is brutal for any building (salt air, humidity, extreme weather) but for the price we pay I expect things to be of a better quality. The main balcony door is barely able to be opened any more (and i've been in that room for the past 25 years). The 2 remaining windows in that room, which you need for some nice cross-ventilation, do NOT open at all, they seem rusted shut. As for the sleeping, there is the standard thin sheet (which was not changed for 10 days) and the yucky comforter that doesn't get washed in who knows how long (like in any hotel). The reclining chair, which looks like leather, had such a strong chemical odor to it that i couldn't breathe while sitting next to it. Also, the wooden fence surrounding the sand dunes, which protect the dunes and prevent stragglers from trodding all over them, is completely torn apart and broken, giving a downtrodden look to the place. Again, the view erases all of this as each day goes on. And when we first entered our room, there was a big water leak coming from the ceiling (something about frozen AC pipes) and management gave us a discount on our room because of that. It is worth noting that we booked the room on their own website which advertised an "early bird special" for booking early, but once we got down there the EXTREMELY uninterested blonde at the front desk simply said they no longer had that deal and that they had (once again) new management. The employees at the front desk need to take some additional training as far as customer service is concerned, i get the distinct impression that they get so many complaints they are not responsive any more. Where I work you would get fired for that kind of attitude. I wrote all of these complaints to their management company in Charleston, who very kindly responded by changing their misleading internet ad (they also advertised free HBO which doesn't exist at all there) and offering me 2 free nights on my next visit. I only bothered to do this because my combined family has been going there for 40+ years and have lots of memories there, so I care about the place. I still plan to return because that strip of beach is the most beautiful in the world to me and the views from the hotel are stunning. The hotel needs to recognize what a gem of a location they have and spruce up the place to justify the high rates they charge.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
LitchfieldInn58, GMofLFI at Oceanfront Litchfield Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2009

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding Litchfield Inn. Please understand that each unit is individually owned, as a result no 2 units are the same. Some units are better conditioned than others. With being a part of a new management team, we are establishing standards that each owner will be required to obtain. I’m sorry to read that one the units was not up to par with what you’ve experienced in the past. Please know that your comments are not going unnoticed and we are trying diligently to get a process in place. I encourage the author of this review to contact me personally with any additional comments or suggestions they may have. Without your valued opinion, we cannot grow and become a better property.

There are newer reviews for Oceanfront Litchfield Inn

Reviewed 6 January 2009

We had a great time at Pawley's Island. I recommend going to Surf The Earth and renting a kayak or paddle board to explore the inlet. If you like animals and walking in beautiful gardens, then I would goto Brook Green Gardens. I really enjoyed our room. We were in room 117. The room is brand new and has an art deco beach ambiance.The bed was a temperpedic, we slept like babies.I highly recommend this room and resort.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2009

My husband and I desperately needed a vacation to rest, and we found it at the Litchfield Inn. It was quiet on the beach, and we just thoroughly enjoyed our visit, and are already planning a return trip this coming summer.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2008

My daughter and I needed a weekend away from all the stress of volleyball season and her first year of high school. So, we drove down to the beach for a weekend of restful peace and quiet at the Litchfield Inn and stayed in Room 202. The room was oceanfront with a balcony and an excellent view of the ocean. The balcony had two chairs and a table for coffee cups and was private so we could wear our bathrobes and watch the sunrise if we so chose. The beds were comfortable and the kitchen was adequate for our needs as was the bathroom. We had a table upon which to eat our meals and a TV to use for watching movies (the first day was cold outside and rainy).

The cleaning staff was respectful of the do not disturb sign and offered us clean towels and to empty the trash when we didn't want to leave our room on the first day.

The Inn was quiet (no loud parties or noisy neighbors) and the beach was lovely. On the second and last day of our stay, the sun shone brightly and we spent the morning at the pool and the afternoon at the beach frolicking in the ocean.

The Inn does have a dining room set up for indoor or outdoor dining which we did not try, but came highly recommended. We opted for pizza delivery and wish we had eaten in the restaurant instead!

I would definitely recommend the Inn to any of my friends and would love to stay in this particular room again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2008

The Litchfield Inn is a throwback to the 60's. It you are looking for the glam of Myrtle Beach this is not it. If you want a safe and quiet place to stay, it is here. It is the only place south of Garden City that has a bar on the beach.

Most of the rooms are owned as a condo so the decor is up to the homeowner. We love this place in Sept - Dec. The best places to eat in the Myrtle Beach area are in Pawleys Island/ Litchfield. All of the place below have great food.

#1 The Bistro, Adam only cooks what comes off the local boats each day. 2# Franks Outback- Ask for the Outback area, Wed night is jazz. 3# Quigleys - a microbrew place with 1/2 apps on Mondays, Great for watching sports. #4 Dead Dog Saloon in Murells Inlet - on the water and live music 7 days a week. #5 Roz Rice Mill - Tues 1/2 price on everything OMG #6 South Island Steakhouse- Early bird 4-6pm the best Ribs on the beach #7 The Fishhouse- best fried seafood platter in the area #8 Pawleys Island Tavern - best pizza and the best bands Thrs-Sun 9# The Hot Fish Club- great food and the great bands on Fri & Sat open until 2pm 10# Russell's- get the Russell burger, it's a crabcake on top of a 1/3lb angus burger.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2008

We made the trip up from FL to get away from the crowded beaches there and found our little piece of paradise. While the resort is showing its age, it still has a lot of charm and the laid back feeling was what we were looking for. We stayed in a room on the 5th level and had a lovely room with an even better view. I believe it's the same room we've stayed in before (531?) but the bath has been updated. The people there are so friendly and the beach is the best! It is very clean and you can walk for miles enjoying the peace.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2008

check the internet for a place to stay on a sunday for a 4 day stay starting on tuesday. didn't want the rat race of myrtle beach,something more low key.come across litchfield inn.I have never been to the area before so was not sure what I was getting into,but let me say that it was just what i was looking for. On the beach,not a rat race,good people,good food,clean room,and a nice staff.couldn't get much better,and are making plans to go back. mike & lynn Moscow ohio

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Pawleys Plantation Golf and Country Club
Best Western Pawleys Island
Best Western Pawleys Island
#4 of 6 in Pawleys Island

Been to Oceanfront Litchfield Inn? Share your experiences!