“Great quiet family location away from the traffic of Myrtle”

Oceanfront Litchfield Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Pawleys Island
Clemmons, NC
“Great quiet family location away from the traffic of Myrtle”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2010

Stayed for 3 days recently in room 629. No complaints on the room except for a broken handle on the sliding door. The exterior of the hotel definitely shows its age but our room was fine. There do appear to be rooms (not in the tower) that really appear old and worn. My fault is with the service. After our arrival the room was never cleaned. We got fresh towels after a visit to the office after 5pm. The "excuse" was they kept having to clean rooms where they were overbooked from Expedia and having to keep moving people around which doesn't sound right to me. The next day maid service came before lunch time but again it was just fresh towels. The bed was never made up, the floors never swept and the bathroom never cleaned.

The best thing is the location. It is away from the heavy traffic of Myrtle Beach. The beach was not mobbed because all that is in this area are rental houses. No other hotels or multi-story condo units in the vicinity.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
lfiwayne, Manager at Oceanfront Litchfield Inn, responded to this review, 23 July 2010
I am happy to know that you had a good room in unit 629. I do hope that the problem with the sliding glass door was taken care of. We take all responses very seriously and use them as training tools, working very hard to ensure that problems like the ones in which you encountered do not happen again in the future. There is no excuse for some of the issues like you encountered. Moving forward, I would like to personally WELCOME you back to the Oceanfront Litchfield Inn upon your next visit the Grand Strand and show you what we have improved on.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
columbus, ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

We booked this room in advance-a "deluxe 2 bdrm villa". We did arrive early after a 12 hour drive and were told that check-in was at 4pm. Well, 4pm came and went, and each time we went to the front desk, they told us to come back in 15 minutes! By 5:30, there were at LEAST 10 other people in the front lobby, all waiting for their rooms to be "cleaned". If check out time is 11am, why is the room still not ready at 5pm?? We actually went over to the room and walked in and I tipped the maids so that we could start bringing our bags into the room--otherwise, who knows how long we would have waited?? Otherwise, the trip was uneventful and the room was really great--hardwood floors, updated bedrooms, a full kitchen! The pool bar did have live music but we never tried the food. Some of the front desk personnel need to take classes on customer service. I would only recommend this hotel if you get one of the upgraded rooms!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for your report on your stay. I am sorry for the troubles that you encountered with your check in process and the problems with our front desk staff. We take these reports and we use them as training tools and I have past this report over to both department heads for review. I am glad to hear that everything else during your vacation with us here at the Litchfield Inn was to your satisfaction. I would like to personally welcome you back to the Litchfield inn on your next visit to the area so we may provide you with better service.
Gaffney, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2010

M 15 yr old son and I stayed the last part of 4rth of July week and even booked at the last minute. We did not have a private balcony but we still had a view and the room was very clean and comfortable. The beach and the Cabana bar were awesome..best burger I ever had. This was our second time staying here and plan on booking early for next year, we love it!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

My husband and I booked our room early for the holiday (even got an early-bird discount). We were a little skeptical after reading some of the reviews but figured how bad could a room on the beach in Litchfield really be?? I guess we were really lucky as we got a huge corner room in the tower with 2 big banks of windows overlooking the beach. Amazing views. The room was clean and in typical condition for a beach front hotel where guests track sand around and drape wet towels and swimsuits. Was it a 5 star resort? No, but it's not 5 star rates, either!! We had everything we needed from the maids, ate lunch every day in the poolside bar and just had a blast. We even left the slider open at night so we could sleep while listening to the ocean. The 4th of July festivities were unsurpassed. We are already planning to spend next July 4th there again. Ask for a corner room in the tower and you'll be very happy!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
This is GREAT to hear. We WELCOME you back with open arms and look forward to seeing you again soon. Remember, book early for the best rates.
Arlington, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

After booking on-line and looking at the beautiful pictures of the rooms and the inn itself, my family and I arrived at The Litchfield Inn to a step backward in time. Our room that we had reserved was given away and the hotel staff "upgraded" us to a pool side room on the first level. Our room had two stripped down double beds only with a fitted sheet and no blankets, the carpet was dirty, flies were circling in the kitchen and bathroom, and overall the room looked like we had been transported back to a 1980 budget hotel. Also, don't take a walk on the small strip of beach they offered or you might step on empty beer cans and cigarette butts. We notified the manager if we could possibly get a better room away from the small noisy pool, which is attached to a small bar. The manager laughed at us and said we had already been upgraded! Why would we want to spend $200 a night in a filthy room next to a kiddy size noisy pool? Oh, by the way, the manager let us know that each room is individually owned (time share) so the photos you see are only rooms that the owners have upgraded themselves. Therefore, we decided to leave and refunded our money. We drove to Surfside Beach, SC and stayed right on the beach at the Holiday Inn Ocean Front. Thanks to their staff and hospitality, they saved our weekend vacation.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
lfiwayne, Manager at Oceanfront Litchfield Inn, responded to this review, 24 July 2010
Thank you for your posting. I am very sorry that you encountered the problems in which you. We are not a time share. These units are indivually owned just like houses in a neighborhood. They are responsible for the unkeep and ungrades in their units and we are working hard to bring each and every unit on property up to a higher standard. We are a classic oceanfront property. You should pay for a room that you are unsatisfied with. I am glad that the manager was able to refund you the money owed to you but I am very sorry to hear that the manager treated you the way that they did if they in fact laughed at you. That is NOT the way that any of our staff is treat any of our guests,. I have taken a copy of your review and shared them with each department head so we can train all of our staff in the areas that need attention. I would like to welcome you back to the Oceanfront Litchfield Inn on your next visit the Grand Strand so I may show some of the great changes that we have already made since you were here and more that is coming in the near future.
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2010

The location of this property is very quiet and non commercial, we have been coming here for three years on both long weekends and full vacations, it is not crowded and very relaxing, these are the main reasons we have continued to come back. However, the rooms have never been very appealing or clean, after three visits to room 115 we finally decided to try another room, we went online, read the review of room 122 and then called the hotel to inquire if the room was as described on their website they assured us that it was so we booked it 6 weeks in advance. when we arrived we were not greeted warmly and were treated as we were bothering the front desk staff, we got our room keys and went to the room 122, as we entered we saw immediately that the room had not been renovated, we were told both by the website and the staff that we called that the room was a renovated room with hardwood floors, it was not. The floors were tile and the carpet needed to be changed, two tiles were broken and the appliances which included a mini fridge were rusted badly. Our screens on our porch were loose and the sliding glass door did not close all the way, we called the front desk and they told us that the description of hardwood floors and other upgrades were in their internet description but they did not know why the room had not been updated. They did offer us another room but none fit our needs so we stayed. We were given a welcome letter when we arrived which included a promise of excellent service and anticipation of our needs, none of this happened. The letter stated that they had a list of 4th of July fireworks for the area at the front desk, when I requested this list they women behind the desk told me that she was aware of no list and that she could not help me, she was the one who checked us in and was not very helpful at that time either. the next morning I stopped by the front desk to let the manager know how our stay was going sense we had four days left, when I asked for him Sandra which is someone that I had not had contact with yet immediately had an attitude with me and nearly refused to get the manager, this just gave me one more example of the awful service to report. When the manager arrived he listens to my feedback which was given to him in a very calm manner and he apologized and then tried to offer an excuse as to why they had no clue how to service their vacationing guest. I doubt we will be back as we are looking to not get stressed on our vacations, I hope that this helps in your decision.

1 Thank mckjayson
Thank You for taking the time in completing this survey. i am very sorry that you encountered the problems that you did. I have personally taken your review and passed it on to each department head to show them the areas in which we need to approve. I am glad to see that you are a repeat guest and understand that this is not typical. We are currently in the process of making some much needed improvements with both the property and the staff. I would like to welcome you back to the Oceanfront Litchfield Inn to show you the improvements that we are making and the goals we have for the future. I think you will be pleased. Thank You again!
Powhatan, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2010

Upon arrival they did not show our reservation. One hour later still looking for our reservatin they accomodated us to a room... They asked it if woudl be billed on the same credi card!! Funny how they could find our credi card but could not find our reservation. Spoke to the general manager the following date and thought he woudl be more than accodating when we discovered we were not even staying in the room we reserved and were being billed for the full price for a less expensive room... Discovered upon check out the general manager gave the best lip service..that's all he gave us because we sure paid full price for our room... Room was Dirty, Carpets were nasty; someone's urine was behind the commonde; something was dripping from the cabinets; and best yet the slidding glass door lock was broken. It appeared someone tried to break in via the slidding glass entrance. I have stayed in 100's of hotels in my lifetime and this without a doubt was the biggest disappointment ever. And to think this was our 29th wedding anniversary celebration. Thanks Litchfield Inn for a disappointing weekend. If it wasn't for my good spirited husband I would have made a scene no one would have forgotten... You think the fireworks were loud...

2 Thank susandriver
BEST WESTERN Pawleys Island
#4 of 6 in Pawleys Island
Pawleys Plantation Golf and Country Club
Hampton Inn Murrells Inlet/Myrtle Beach Area

Been to Oceanfront Litchfield Inn? Share your experiences!