“Relaxing, beautiful area, great low country cookin'”
Review of Sea View Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pawleys Island
Sea View Inn
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Relaxing, beautiful area, great low country cookin'”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is truly like going to camp but you get to schedule your own activities around the dinner bell! The food is not to be missed! I stayed in an upper floor room with a great view of the ocean and could have the windows opened or closed (there is no air conditioning in the room I was in) and run the ceiling fan as needed. This is a beautiful location with ocean on the front and marsh on the back. Is there anything better than a sunrise over the ocean and a sunset over the marsh in South Carolina? I think not! I was transported back to a simpler time without electronic distractions and I loved it! The people are so nice and friendly too and Francis is the BEST!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We spent March 30 to April 4 Sunday - Friday for the Nature Week. Day trips with a naturalist and evening program and music. There were 11 of us in the group. Kayaking in the marsh behind the island and on the Santee River with a visit to Hampton Plantation, pontoon boat ride on the Pee Dee River through the Francis Marion National Forest and lunch on Sandy Island. I saw my first long leaf pine tree, several alligators, lots of turtles and interesting birds.

The Inn is full American Plan with three meals - all Low Country cooking. We had a room in the main part of the inn with a marsh view next to the shower. The inn was built after WW II and while the beds have been improved there is no TV or phones in rooms. There is wifi on the porch near the office so I could check e-mail. Bag lunches if you'll be out at lunch time. One sitting for meals, listen for the bell and come quickly.

Bring you own drinks, wine, etc. and keep things cold in the back porch refrigerator. Liquor store (look for the big red dots) north on US 17. The inn is between the north and south causeways not far from the Pawley's Island chapel. Park on both sides of the road but not in front of the stairs. If you have heavy bags someone will help you bring them up. Office on the south side first floor off the back parch; dining room on the north side.

Rooms off season are $200 for two and up. Ocean front is more expensive; cottage on the marsh side slightly less.

The kitchen staff is also the housekeeping staff and a tip of 15% of the total bill is asked - and worth it. Beds are made, floor swept, and fresh towels provided daily.

First time visitors to the area are sometimes surprised by the "attitude" of local service people. For some that is part of the charm of the SC beaches; for others it takes some getting used to, but it is part of the local culture. It is often said that South Carolina Low Country people are like the Chinese; they eat rice and worship their ancestors, and all the residents I know are helpful, but not servile.

We went with friends from the north who had lived in upstate SC and came down to get warm. Sitting on the front porch or resting in the Pawleys Island rope hammock in the sun, listening to the waves and relaxing is part of the charm of the place.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are more expensive, side rooms perfectly adequate, cottage less expensive. But we...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Sanford, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Wonderful place with a special aura...But you have to understand this is not luxury. It is like a stay at grandma's old beach house. No AC in the inn rooms, no phones or tvs in the rooms... so the inn is truly a "get away from it all" kind of place... Accomodations are clean and simple... the private beach is awesome.

The convenience of having all three meals prepared for you is wonderful. The food is good, but not great. Our biggest complaint (and the only reason I don't rate Sea View as excellent) is the wait staff. None of them wore smiles or carried on much conversation with the guest. A cheery good morning or other kind words would have gone a long way. They were all as cold as fish in the ocean. And the way they seemed to rush you thru meals in stark contrast to the laid back pace of the place. My biggest recommendation to management would be to work on that customer service area; those servers need to smile and engage with the guests. They need to wait a bit before clanging around cleaning tables until guests are all through with their meals. Each of the guest we were fortunate to meet there had the same opinion.

The other negative was not having a shower in your room. We had to trek down to the end of the hall to a very small shared shower. I'd suggest bringing a robe. It was adventure showering.

Finally on the negative side, I did not like them giving you a bill with a "suggested" 15% on your entire bill. The only service we got were from the meal servers, and as stated earlier, they were lacking in attitude and cheerfulness. I did not adhere to the 15%. I feel like a 15% gratuity on the entire bill is asking way too much.

Having said all of that; we will come again. The place is just so relaxing and peaceful. Entertainment is reading in the family room, rocking away on the back porch watching the glorius ocean, playing or swimming or sun bathing on the private beach. Board games and books are all available for sharing.

If the waitstaff could be brought up to speed on what customer service is really all about ... and they would guests to relax and converse after meals without being rushed out... the place would get 5 stars from me.

Again, this is a wonderful family place to visit. Just know that you are NOT getting frills and luxury... you are getting an old beach house that will invite you to slow down and enjoy tranquility, peace, family and the joy of truly being away from it all.

Room Tip: We stayed in room five on the corner and I would recommend it as probably the best room in the inn.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank BuckHarris
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Whilst over from the UK on a two week road trip on my own last September, i booked a one night stay here after spotting it on Googlemaps. I loved it so much that i booked to come back for three nights the following week and totally changed my route to enable this to happen.

On my first stay i had a room out back near the car area overlooking the saltmarsh. I felt completely safe staying out here despite being a single female traveller. These rooms had aircon as well so were good for sleeping.

The second week when i returned for three nights i treated myself to a ground floor sea view corner room. This was lovely. Going to sleep listening to the waves, waking up to the sunrise, perfect.

The rooms are basic and homely but clean, with private toilet, and the comfiest beds i've ever slept on.

A lovely lounge area is great for chatting with the other guests at night, most of whom are repeat visitors who go the same week every year to meet up with folks they made friends with there. Each night a group of us played cards in the dining room with one of the guys stealing icecreams from the fridge in the kitchen (there's no staff onsite overnight which makes it seem even more fun in a way).

The food was great; i'd never had southern style food before but i loved it, even the grits. The ladies that cook and wait on you were a little scary on my first day, you can see they're trying to get the measure of you; but on my return they were so lovely and sweet, remembering what i wanted for breakfast. You get your own little dining table and food arrives from all directions. One day i went for a nap after lunch, only to wake up when the dinner bell rang. Cue a crumpled befuddled arrival in the dining room, with everyone else all showered and smart after an afternoon on the beach.

I loved the fridge and drinks arrangment; a lot of people stashed snacks and lunches in there as well - i think if (when) i go back i'll do this and just have breakfast and dinner.

I never met the owners, didn't need to really. Kip did a great (and handsome) job of looking after us alongside the ladies.

Showers are shared but were always clean and i never had to queue. There is wifi available in one corner of the back lounge if you really need it. There's a great Lion supermarket very close by as well.

I'm thinking of going back on my own again this autumn, this time for two weeks. I can truly say that the happiest moment i've ever had was sat on the porch here with a glass (ok a bottle) of wine, watching the sun go down and talking rubbish to strangers. I was totally content, and i think the tip on the bill was one of the most well deserved service charges i've paid, no matter what the misery-guts below think.

Room Tip: Rooms in the bungalow at the back have aircon - if you can't sleep with heat, book one of these.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank mandyflyme2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Foremost, this place is quiet and relaxing. It has plenty of "rugged charm." The food and service leave quite a bit to be desired. The tipping policy is atrocious.

The room:
If you go before it gets too hot (we were there in late May) the constant sea breeze makes the evenings quite pleasant provided to don't shut your windows or door. It's definitely not for everyone but if you appreciate a little ruggedness, and we do, it's quite charming. The room alone would make for four stars.

The food:
If you're familiar with Piccadilly you know what the food is like. Typical southern cafeteria fare. The boomers staying there seemed to love the food though. If you do choose to get your meals there, and I don't recommend it, be on time. When they ring that bell you've got a 30 minute window. The servers attitudes leave quite a bit to be desired though as they treated us as inconveniences. Not that we ever asked for much, mind you. I suppose that one glass of water should have been enough. The food and service would have qualified this place for two stars.

The check out:
Here's where we lose all our eyes. When we booked, we were under the impression that the gratuity was 15%. Fine, we usually tip 20% and the food charge is only $20 a day. $18 for the long weekend isn't a big deal.

Except, no. The gratuity was for the *entire bill*. It made for a fine little surprise at check out to be charged an extra $40 a night for staying the long weekend instead of the $6 a night we expected. Housekeeping? None. At least not for the nights we stayed there. Really, the only staff we saw, besides the waitstaff, were at check in and check out. I could possible see a full service resort trying to pull something like this, but a sleepy little beach house?

After feeling hustled, we won't be going back or recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
12 Thank O B
Pendleton, South Carolina
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Nice, Nostalgic, great food, you meet nice folks from other places, Love the little town of Pawleys Island.
However,
no air in the summer time is almost unbearable at night and when trying to eat.
The owners never approached us to say Hello , or welcome, the staff were nice enough, but not very sincere.
a suggestion to the servers place an extra pitcher of tea or water on each table and you want be so put out about having to refill tea glasses.
its as if they want to save it for the next meal so its rationed...lol
But something about the place really makes you want to come back....
but in the spring or fall only.

Room Tip: side rooms have no view anyway , except for the houses beside you, so get a cottage w/ air, if no oc...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank L B
Hickory, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 September 2013

First this is a love it or not kind of place with pros and cons. We read all that Sea View has to offer this is why we booked.
Pros-
Good food
Comfortable beds
Free use of umbrellas and chairs
Sand toys and floats
Plush towels for bath
Nice showers
Wonderful rockers on porch and hammock
Nice living room with games and reading

Cons-
Entire house never cools down during summer
Almost unbearable to sleep (deal breaker) I will only return in early spring or after October.
Service in dining room lacking-I have read where these ladies have been there a long time but step it up a little making a beverage table with iced tea and water that we could serve ourselves like the coffee station in the morning would be great.
My review although I have complained a little will not prevent us from going back but like I stated for the time we went the only way to get cool was to drive away in the car.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Best Western Pawleys Island
Best Western Pawleys Island
#4 of 6 in Pawleys Island
Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel

Been to Sea View Inn? Share your experiences!