“Unremarkable”
Review of Sea View Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pawleys Island
Sea View Inn
Winchester, Virginia
“Unremarkable”
Reviewed 26 June 2010

For lack of better words, I will just list the pros and cons.
Pros: Quiet, Nothing Commercial, Secluded, you don't have to cook.

Cons: Moldy shared Shower walls/floors/curtain, No Air Conditioning, Scheduled Meal Times, Greasy Food, The communal shower is down the hall, No locks on the doors, there is a sense of community between the guests that have been coming for 30+ years that you are not a part of, there is absolutely 0 privacy in the hotel, you MUST be on time for meals - from start to end they last about 35 to 45 minutes. That is from the time they ring the cow/farm/ship/train bells and everyone has gathered outside the door waiting to be let in to the time the last morsel is cleaned off the tables as though no one has ever entered the dining room. You have an assigned table, not to be changed throughout your stay unless the management needs the space. The portions are preset and predetermined on plates most nights. We got caught in traffic and were late one evening and were told to 'go find our own dinner elsewhere'. The whole place reminded us of our grandparents retirement home, with more restrictions.
We felt liberated upon our leaving!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
24 Thank flyingaway101

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Charlotte, Nc
Reviewed 16 April 2010

Sea View Inn was my first experience with a "rustic inn" and I must say I was delightfully surprised. The ability to really relax makes this place a "must stay" if that is what you really want to do. Have stayed in many B & B's, and they are all unique. The Sea View Inn instantly has become my favorite "beach destination" and I am looking forward to a return visit, most likely in the fall. Truly one of the most relaxing places I have stayed in my 58 years!!!

Likes: Location, beach sounds, starry nights, meeting interesting people, no TV, Food, books to read, beach to walk!

Dislikes: Really cannot think of any.

Bill Lampley

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tarheelguy
Lancaster, VA
Reviewed 25 September 2009

you will have a wonderful time at Sea View Inn. I loved this place. It met all my needs for a quiet, peaceful, non-congested get away right on the water. I am walking-impaired and my room was upstairs, but it did not matter to me or anyone else. The rooms are simple, very clean and breezy. It is like having the beach a few feet from your window. i loved it.

I have to warn you that this is NOT for everyone. If you have to have your IPOD, laptop, Iphone, Gameboy, etc., surgically removed in order for it to become dettached from your body, this place is NOT for you. If you HAVE to have a TV to watch at night/day, this place is NOT for you. If you have to have a jacuzzi bathtub to soak in for hours, this place is NOT for you.

If, however, you want to meet some wonderful people, have some good, hearty, low-country cooking, this place IS FOR you. If you want a place right on the beach, but do not want to pay thousands of dollars to lease a rental, this place IS FOR you. The staff are generous and gracious.

If you really want to know what I thought of this place, this was my first visit, and I have a reservation next year for May 2010 and September 2010.

Oh and by the way, if you are a single traveler, and you dont want to get stuck with single supplements, THIS PLACE IS FOR YOU!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank Patience123
U.S.
Reviewed 8 September 2009

O.k. first of all : the place itself is very nice. It has the typical shabby chic atmosphere and the location which is right at the beach is simply unbeatable. The rooms are very simple, you have to share a shower, which we didn't mind. There is no Air condition, so it can get a little hot during the night, but if you keep all windows wide open it is actually allright. The food is good and the service is average. We liked everything they served ! The biggest complaint we have and just couldn't get over with is their "tipping suggestion" which is already mentioned in their confirmation email, then in a brochure and also posted on a wall inside the Inn. Here in the U.S. we all are used to tip "services" and we would have done the same in this place.The problem is that they suggest 15% tip based on the room rate which isn't cheap at all. So please be aware to add 25% to the room rate ( 10% tax plus 15% tip ). When we checked out they actually wrote down the tip amount on the invoice, so we felt it was more of a expectation than a suggestion. It clearly destroys the cozy atmosphere they want to achieve and we won't go back just for that reason. We travel a lot and that has never crossed our way. The room rate is more of a "product" and not a "service". We would have been perfeclty fine tipping the waiters and cleaning staff .... This kind of management style is just sad !!!!!!

• Stayed September 2009
23 Thank Veryfar
south carolina
Reviewed 6 July 2009

great location, loved the inn it was like going back in time, no worry about meals, just play and sun and enjoy the beach. did not get a lot of sleep, room was hot and kids were all over the place playing in the halls till late at night. yes i will go back. we will take fan and drinks. one more thing I rented a front room and when i got thier I had been moved to side room?

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank neededsouthcarolina
Alabama
Reviewed 22 June 2009

My family has stayed at Sea View Inn every summer for 40 years. I started going with my parents and siblings as a very young boy, and now I take my wife and children each summer. It is a place where families can enjoy each other's company without the distractions of everyday life. No phones, no TVs, no video games. Instead, guests and families play board games or cards, read books, engage in serious and not-so-serious discussions, crab off the creek dock, enjoy ocean breezes on the front porch, and play on the beautiful beach. Is it rustic? Absolutely. But that's part of the charm of Sea View Inn. It's comfortable, not pretentious. It's warm and inviting, not off-putting and cold. The food is great, Lowcountry fare served by a dedicated staff who are like an extended family to us. You won't leave Sea View Inn hungry! We go to the Gulf Coast beaches fairly often, but the only place my children talk about year-round is Sea View Inn. The week before going they can hardly sleep because they're so excited, and they inevitably cry when the dreaded day comes to leave their beloved Sea View. That should tell you all you need to know about this wonderful place.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 May 2009

I've been coming to Pawley's Island for 50+ years and I've taken my son who is now 20 to the Sea View Inn for his entire lifetime. He STILL loves it and can't wait to go back every year during children's week! Sea View epitomizes the way "going to the beach" meant to me when I was growing up....family, friends (many of the same people come back at the same time every year who we consider our "beach family"), easy going, fabulous ocean breezes, wonderful food, a terrific staff that we all love, and lots and lots of beach, books, walks and naps!
Busy, working, stressed-out moms.....be prepared to be spoiled rotten!! No kidding! This is a paradise for you!
I would warn that this is not a place for anyone wanting to experience "The Ritz" at the beach. It's truly for those who love being barefoot and fancy free.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Surfside Beach Resort
Surfside Beach Resort
#1 of 5 in Surfside Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,455 reviews

Been to Sea View Inn? Share your experiences!