“Great Sunday brunch buffet in a quiet little town”

The Village Bakery & Cafe
Ranked #4 of 25 Restaurants in Pendleton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 19 March 2017

I'm relatively new to the Clemson area but I had heard some good things about the Village Baker and Cafe from co-workers, so when my wife suggested we try it for brunch today it seemed like a good idea.

Good is an understatement. From the warm greeting when we walked in the door to the free bag of cookies to all the wonderful food in between, this was a most pleasant surprise.

The brunch is buffet style, but the staff hustles to keep the trays filled and all the hot dishes were hot. The selection is extensive - and eclectic. It's a mix of standard breakfast fare (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast, home fries), Greek/Mediterranean appetizers and lunch dishes (meatballs, hummus, Greek salad, baba ghanoush, butter fish) with a wonderful shrimp and grits included for good measure because ... well, it's South Carolina.

Do your best not to completely fill up on the appetizers, salads and entrees, because the dessert selections - all of which are sold in the bakery portion of the shop - are varied and plentiful. The baklava was just the right sweetness and the chocolate dipped strawberries were huge and ripe with flavor. There's something here for everyone, especially if you like cakes and cookies.

The service was warm and attentive, even though the place was packed. This seems to be a family affair and we left wishing we had a Greek aunt and uncle who could cook like this.

The restaurant is only open for Sunday brunch from 10:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m., so it takes a bit of planning but it's worth it. Go on a wonderful spring day like today and you can head down the road tot he South Carolina Botanical Garden at Clemson University and walk off your delicious - and filling - meal.

Reviewed 19 March 2017

Enjoyed a nice lunch with friends. Besides sandwiches, they offered a quiche as the daily special. It was delicious. Be sure to stop at the bakery and take home some delicious baked goods. Their Sunday brunch is excellent. More food than you could possibly image. There's definitely something for everyone there.

Reviewed 2 March 2017

Pendleton is a very old town near Clemson University. It's downtown isn't very large but there are some tourist stores and eating places there. The Village Baker is relatively new and past experiences eating at some of the places there hadn't been satisfactory. However, this place is amazingly outstanding as regards delivering terrific meals - mostly sandwiches. Not only are they delicious but they are unique from the run-of-the-mill sandwich place. I got a turkey sandwich that was piled high! The wife had ham and cheese. Great service and there was a solid crowd there so clearly the locals have "discovered" The Village Baker and Café themselves.

Reviewed 25 February 2017 via mobile

As I had stopped going to The Village Baker several years ago, I did not know until quite recently that it had been under new ownership for more than two years. I am so glad I went back! The pastries are as delicious as they are beautiful and quite reasonably priced, $2.75 for a large danish, my husband loved the apricot. I also picked up an individual quiche (tomato artichoke), yum! I will definitely be going back.

Reviewed 15 February 2017

My business partner and I meet for breakfast every quarter and almost always find ourselves at the Village Baker and Cafe. The breakfast menu doesn't offer a tremendous range of choices...but the ones offered are excellent. I especially enjoy the Breakfast Skillet which inevitably is more than I can eat at one sitting! Hobbits aren't the only folks who enjoy Second Breakfast!