“Staff need training....now!”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Saint George
Detroit, Michigan
“Staff need training....now!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

I checked in about 6:30pm after a very long, stressful day on the road. The weather was horrid, the roads crowded, I was tired!
I pulled in and was pleased to see this hotel had an easy entry and re entry to the highway very close by. I was greeted by the desk clerk, Cynthia I believe. She was professional and gave me the rate information I requested. I inquired on the acceptance of AAA and she adjusted my rate. It's was pricey for the area but I was too tired to go any further down the highway. After I got to my room I researched and they were well above the $55 average on that strip. My rate was 80 minus the discount.
I drove around to my room and found some young folks with a large truck packing up their items from or into the room next to mine. It was hard to tell. I unpacked and immediately hit the shower. My room was a handicapped accessible room ...not sure why she gave me that. The place was not full. The shower was lousy. It has a removable hand held shower head. The water pressure was barely enough to get my hair washed. Oh well, at least the water was hot.
I ate a snack and settled in to get some shut eye. The one bed in the room was comfortable. Clean. Plenty of pillows. I turned on the tv mostly to drown out what sounded like a comedy festival in the adjoining room. The folks next door maybe deaf. They had their set so loud I could hear it word for word. Very offensive ( and I'm no prude) show. I could hear no one laughing next door. No talking or comments so I figured it was just one person, maybe in the bathroom.
I tried so hard to sleep but the tv next door was just awful. I even knocked on the wall. No result. I looked for a way to phone room to room but the phone instructions were not there. I put my headphones from my iPod in my ears, covered my head with a pillow and tried to sleep. It was fruitless.
About 1am I called the front desk and asked the gal, Kathy I think, if she could contact my neighbors and ask them to turn the tv down or off. She said she would. I heard the telephone in the next room ring a short time later. Three rings. I wondered if she could spare the energy. No answer. I phoned her back and suggested she let it ring longer. Maybe they were in the bathroom. She did so. Four rings. Really? Wow!
I phoned her again and said she needed to knock. She walked to the room and I heard her knock. No answer. She left.
I phoned her again and asked if she could just go into the room and shut it off. She said no. They are not allowed to enter a guest room. She did offer to move me to another room upstairs on the other side of the property. Gee thanks. I asked if she had considered that a guest could be injured, a heart attack, dead? I also mentioned that when I checked in they asked for my cellphone number. Could she try the guests number. She said she would do that.
A bit later I heard her knock again. This time, thank you Jesus, she opened the door and turned the television down, a bit. Apparently there was no one in the room. I could still hear the tv but it was so much better that I immediately fell asleep. About fifteen minutes later I was awoken with a screaming of a very loud telephone. It was dear Kathy, calling to see if the tv situation was better.
Truthfully I wanted to really let her have it for waking me but I let it go. Thanks Kathy. Back to sleep.
My alarm went off at 6. I was exhausted but had to hit the road. I was looking forward to the promised hot breakfast in the lobby. Praying they had some good southern biscuits and gravy!
After I packed my car, I drove up front and spoke to the front desk staff about my issues overnight.
I received a bland oh that's too bad. My request for a refund or discount for a third of a nights rest was refused.
I went in to get breakfast and found very cold stale biscuits and day old cold gravy. I took a banana and left. Angry and hungry.
So, the lesson here? Complain early.
And don't stay here.
I used to be a quality inn fan. Not anymore.

Room Tip: Drive right past.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

Sleeping accomadations very comfortable. However, breakfast was horrific.
Food area filthy, coffee cold, rotten bananas. Pastry and food tasted stale, waffle machine wouldd not cook waffle all the way through.

• Stayed November 2013

Travellers are raving about these Saint George hotels

Oakville, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Needed a place to stay to sleep on a road trip that wasn't pre-booked. Not the best of location but easy access on and off the hi-way. Staff was prompt and helpful. Rooms are dated but I did find my bed comfortable and clean. After 8 hours on a motorcycle, I most likely would have felt comfortable in a bathtub.

Room Tip: don't expect to use the training room, not worth your time
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank John F
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Price was right but very outdated and stale feeling. Needs to be updated with new carpet, shower head was horrible, update beds and bedding. Fresh paint and wall paper would make a huge difference. Breakfast was average. Not enough healthy choices. Mostly carbs with boiled eggs as the only protein available.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank AuntMissyof2
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Yes, it was only $70 a night, but this place is just plain worn out. They haven't had an update to the rooms in over 20 years. The sheets appeared to be clean, but the comforters were stained and worn. The exterior could use some updating, cleaning and paint. This is not what I would equate with the name "Quality".

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

We found hair around bathtub, rug not cleaned well, wifi not working. It made us feel queasy.
Air conditioner was barely working.
Reception staff was alright.
Breakfast area fine. But outside area of hotel dirty.

• Stayed August 2013
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We checked in on a friday night headed to Daytona beach. I always book 6-8 weeks in advance. We were given a room by the pool area. The room was fair, the beds were awful for sleeping hard and slight odor. The air conditioner made a terriable racket when it cycled on and off. Between it making a racket and the hard smelly bed there was no chance of getting any rest. At check out we passed on the free breakfast as the area was dirty and the person on duty needed a new uniform a few years ago as it was worn and dirty. The check in area was bad fixtures hanging from the wall. The building could use a total rehab. This location is off our radar for our anual stop over when heading south.

Room Tip: There are breakfast alturnatives across the highway.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Red Roof Inn Walterboro
Red Roof Inn Walterboro
#4 of 16 in Walterboro
BEST WESTERN PLUS Santee Inn

Been to Quality Inn St. George? Share your experiences!