“Very Nice Surprise!”

Shug's Southern Soul Cafe
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Saint George
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Seafood, Bar
Description: shugs is a southern cruise /American style with a casual feel like you at home with great southern hospitality,ultimate,good,serves at shugs we make food taste good
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

I often go to meet my family in St. George because it's the halfway point between our hometowns. I complained about the lack of restaurant choices. We passed by Shug's and decided to give it a try. WOW! Great food, great atmosphere, and reasonably priced! Shug's is definitely St. George's best kept secret.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I tried Shug's Sunday lunch buffet. We had heard that the food was good and what we heard was right. The lunch buffet had quite a selection of entrees and vegetables, salad, fruit and dessert. Our only criticism was that the fried chicken was on the salty side and the greens were cooked with season, not fresh pork. Service by Louis was excellent and everyone was friendly. Make a point of stopping.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

After reading the reviews we purposely made it as far as St George before stopping for dinner and the night. Our efforts were rewarded.
As we walked into the place another couple who had just finished stopped to tell us how good it was. They hadn't read about it and were pleasantly amazed.
First, the service: very friendly and helpful. They make you feel as if you are friends who have been invited into their home.
Next the food: very good examples of southern fare. They had a free appetizer of fried chicken livers that was so good that I even liked it and I hate liver. The seafood platter I had was expertly prepared with a flavorful crust that was not too heavy and not at all greasy. The fish was fresh. Hubby had the ribs, which he deemed good but not the best he has ever had. The sauce was a bit on the sweet side for him. Outstanding sides were the hush puppies and coleslaw. A couple of perfectly made red sangrias completed the meal nicely.
Prices were quite reasonable.
Hungry travelers on I-95 shoud make it a point to stop in St George and drop in on these fine folks to enjoy some solid southern cooking.

1  Thank Barb885
Reviewed 12 April 2014

From Wa state. First trip to the south.This was by far the best meal we've had. Much more expensive meals in savannah and charleston didn't compare. Best shrimp and grits ever. Sway fish, fried okra, and fried shrimp cooked to perfection.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stop by for lunch on the way home from Savannah and was pleasantly surprised by the truly warm welcome and delicious food. The shrimp and grits were the best I have ever had. Plump shrimp over a fried grit cake that was toasty and cheesy and bathed in a wonderful brown sauce. The collards were tender and tasty. The macaroni and cheese was truly down home. Our server, Jesse was a real pleasure to talk to having been from Savannah. She had a great personality and made us feel welcome. We would definitely stop back when coming back "down south".

1  Thank Karen B