“Now I Understand!!!”

Shug's Southern Soul Cafe
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Saint George
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Seafood, Bar
Description: shugs is a southern cruise /American style with a casual feel like you at home with great southern hospitality,ultimate,good,serves at shugs we make food taste good
Saint George, South Carolina
“Now I Understand!!!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

After looking on here, I discovered that Shugs was #1 in St. George. To be honest it struck me as odd and I had to find out how it could be #1. I had never ate there before because of many reasons. My husband and I ate there one afternoon and I completely understand why it is #1! The food was absolutely amazing!!! It was the best meal I have had in awhile! I'd go as far as to say in the top five best meals I have ever had at a restaurant ever in my life! I had shrimp and grits and my husband had a chicken wrap. We shared a cheese cake. The shrimp and grits was different from what a person normally thinks when they hear shrimp and grits. It was a grit cake topped with fried shrimp, onion, pepper. It normally comes with a sauce on it but I ordered mine without. I did taste the sauce and it was delicious but I did not get it because of heartburn I already had before coming to the restaurant. I strongly suggest eating here and I definitely will again! Also the price had great value. We left there happy and very satisfied!!

• Visited July 2014

Lady Lake, Florida
“Southern style splendor”
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Authentic Southern style cooking to it's fullest! The owner's are a husband/wife team that made us feel welcomed with that charm only the South can do. Thanks to both of you!

“Very Nice Surprise!”
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

I often go to meet my family in St. George because it's the halfway point between our hometowns. I complained about the lack of restaurant choices. We passed by Shug's and decided to give it a try. WOW! Great food, great atmosphere, and reasonably priced! Shug's is definitely St. George's best kept secret.

Saint George
“Sunday lunch Buffet”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I tried Shug's Sunday lunch buffet. We had heard that the food was good and what we heard was right. The lunch buffet had quite a selection of entrees and vegetables, salad, fruit and dessert. Our only criticism was that the fried chicken was on the salty side and the greens were cooked with season, not fresh pork. Service by Louis was excellent and everyone was friendly. Make a point of stopping.

• Visited April 2014
Sterling, Virginia
“Soul of the south”
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

After reading the reviews we purposely made it as far as St George before stopping for dinner and the night. Our efforts were rewarded.
As we walked into the place another couple who had just finished stopped to tell us how good it was. They hadn't read about it and were pleasantly amazed.
First, the service: very friendly and helpful. They make you feel as if you are friends who have been invited into their home.
Next the food: very good examples of southern fare. They had a free appetizer of fried chicken livers that was so good that I even liked it and I hate liver. The seafood platter I had was expertly prepared with a flavorful crust that was not too heavy and not at all greasy. The fish was fresh. Hubby had the ribs, which he deemed good but not the best he has ever had. The sauce was a bit on the sweet side for him. Outstanding sides were the hush puppies and coleslaw. A couple of perfectly made red sangrias completed the meal nicely.
Prices were quite reasonable.
Hungry travelers on I-95 shoud make it a point to stop in St George and drop in on these fine folks to enjoy some solid southern cooking.

1 Thank Barb885