“Best Sandwiches Ever!”

Craig's Place Deli & Cafe in Santee
Ranked #6 of 36 Restaurants in Santee
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Description: New York style deli with Southern Hospitality! The Best Little Deli on I-95 at Santee, SC Exit 98, go east off exit just 1/8 mile on the left. The Reuben is our specialty! Eat in or Take Out. Sandwich and Wrap platters available. Order ahead.
Greenville, North Carolina
“Best Sandwiches Ever!”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Trying to avoid the routine fast food on the road my husband saw a billboard for Craig's Deli and we decided to give it a try. Well, they make the best sandwiches we have ever had. I ordered the roast beef with blue cheese and my husband ordered the pastrami. A small side came with each sandwich and we ordered our drinks to go. Moved on down to a picnic area on I-95 and enjoyed this fantastic lunch. Everything was fresh and the meat was plentiful and sliced to order.

Next trip we have already agreed this will be our lunch stop.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank grana103

Jacksonville, FL
“Sandwich & potato salad, okay”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We had a young (teens) man wait on us. Our orders were simple, with out any special request. I had their big sandwich with roast beef, turkey and I believe ham and cheese, lettuce and tomato. The amount of mayonaise was okay, the bread was fresh-best ever, no-okay, yes. The potato salad hit the spot and was quite tasty and the most memorable meal item. My husband enjoyed his sandwich, which I think was a ruben. They had local newspapers and real estate listings/pics on the wall where we sat. Fastest-no, slowest-no, but acceptable. What I liked most was we also needed a bathroom and bottles of water and both were available (without further stops). The toilet is on a platform, and if you are basketball tall-not a problem, otherwise a problem off and on.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank AuntieWinter4
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Next time I'll choose Subway”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Reading the reviews here, we passed up all the other choices and pulled into the strip mall to enjoy our lunch. My husband asked what was the soup of the day, there is none, sir, we didn't make any today, so he ordered a coke.
I looked over the menu, the roast beef and blue cheese looked good, I switched it from a white roll to a soft rye bread.
The sandwich arrived with a tiny, probably commercially prepared potato salad.
It was rye bread, roast beef and blue cheese, warmed, as on the menu.
No condiments were noticable on any table, no mustard, no mayo, ketchup, no hint of a vegetable except for two very anemic rubbery thin slices of a pickle. No deli pickle, probably jarred slices.

I'll give the bread a B, not fresh, not stale, somewhere in between.
I'll give the roast beef a C-, no flavor, not really good thin sliced medium rare roast beef that belongs on a deli sandwich.
I'll give the sandwich a C for size. This was a very small piece of rye bread.

I ordered coffee, asking first if it was fresh. The teenaged waitress looked over her shoulder, shrugged and said yes. It was NOT fresh and it was pretty weak and no refills were offered, had I wanted one.

This was about 12:30 and there were only two ladies in the restaurant when we arrived, should have been a sign. There were two teenaged waitresses, no sign of Craig, who were tentative at best, one spent most of our lunch outside the back door, smoking, texting, not sure.

I heard someone come in and order a tuna fish sandwich, they didn't have any, did not make any that day.

Price: For one very small roast beef and blue cheese sandwich on two small pieces of rye bread (for those of you who have been to a real NY deli, this was 1/3 of a NY deli sandwich), a small container of really bad potato salad that my husband ate since they didn't have soup, a coke and a coffee. $12.00.

Can you imagine what I could have bought for that at Subway. We'll stop elsewhere on our next trip through Santee.

Note: we stopped at the Cracker Barrel a block away in February and had a very poor turkey dinner. Cracker Barrel is known for consistency and we have never had a bad meal there until this last trip. Perhaps we'll skip Santee altogether.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank sandlady48
Craigs D, Owner at Craig's Place Deli & Cafe in Santee, responded to this review, 3 November 2014
We are sorry to hear you had a less than satisfactory experience. We hope you'll give us a second chance next time you're driving through Santee, SC.
Bethany Beach, Delaware
“A travelers Treat!”
Reviewed 22 February 2013

While traveling to Florida we were lucky to find the perfect lunch spot. Wholesome, made to order, sandwiches with quality ingredients. An excellent alternative to all the fast food offered on route 95.
It is just off the highway in a small strip mall and has good parking. A pleasant place......you will be glad you passed up the junk food for this good lunch cafe.

• Visited February 2013
Mexia, Alabama, United States
“The BEST Rueben I have ever eaten”
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Tiny little deli located in a strip mall. Just off I-95 in Santee. Keep on trucking past the burger in a box joints and check out their great menu

Visited January 2013