“Nostalgia is not worth it”
Review of Nu Way

Nu Way
Ranked #69 of 334 Restaurants in Spartanburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Description: A dive with the best "Redneck cheeseburger" in town and a surprising number of good beers on tap. people have used Tripadvisor as a way to say the Chick Fil A is one of the best restaurants in town while the Nu Way isn't even on the list. It's awful!
Reviewed 18 April 2013

The Nu Way may be Spartanburg's oldest bar, but it's also the worst. The current owner appears to take no pride in the facility and certainly doesn't put any money back into the business.
I had last visited the bar/restaurant before the city passed an indoor smoking ordinance. Smoke apparently hid a lot of evils for this place. Now upon entering, one can actually see the old dirty carpets and smell the unusual aromas of dirt and grime that appear to seep in from everywhere. The bar is dirty, the bathrooms are disgusting, and there is even a mysterious closed off restroom that's "no longer in use."
The service was horrible in addition to the fact that the bartenders and waitresses appeared unclean and unkempt. After difficulty getting service for several hours, the bartender then attempted to be running some sort of scam by adding additional items to our bill that weren't ordered. Make sure you get an itemized listing.
I can't speak for the food. Anyone eating at the NuWay in its current state is taking a risk.
It's a real shame, but nostalgia only goes so far. There are better bars with far better service, prices, and food now. Unless the place gets a new owner or cleans up its act, I will never go back.

2  Thank sptbg73

Reviewed 18 September 2012

This historic restaurant and lounge is the meeting place for a group I've been involved with for many years now. Drinking Liberally - Spartanburg chapter - has been meeting here every Tuesday night for the last few years.

I love the friends I've met in the group, although I have no political label. I was not pleased with the choice of venue since this bar is so filthy. The locals look the other way, because the Nu Way is cheap and historic. But frankly, I don't come out as often, because I am afraid to touch stuff. I do order food when I visit, but it's like playing Russian roulette. I have gotten sick after visiting.

For a while after another local bar burned, there was some really great music Tuesday night, since some bands had been temporarily displaced. Their only compensation was enjoying the audience and a tip jar. I don't think they made very much. This is a blue collar bar, and people are very frugal these days.

I actually contacted "Bar Rescue" because I love the group, and they refuse to change their venue. But I always have to psych myself out ahead of time before I visit, and put myself on "survivor" mode, to bear with the stench, the dirty dishes, and hair in my food. Bring your own plate, coffee, and watch your step if you visit. If you want to smoke, you can go outside and hang out on some rickety benches. It was better when smoking inside restaurants was allowed, since it masked the odor of the building.

But if you are brave and don't have a lot of money, bring your inhaler and your hand sanitizer and enjoy the Nu Way. Good times!

3  Thank BYOKetchup
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I think this is what they call a hole in the wall. The ceiling tiles are yellowed, the tvs are old tube style tvs, the restrooms don't seem that clean (particularly the doors) but the burgers are great and the beer is reasonable. Would I go back? Likely - if they've cleaned the restrooms.

Reviewed 29 May 2012 via mobile

I love this place the atmosphere is great and funky and the red neck burger is my favorite thing to order its hard not to get it every time I go. The burger comes with pimento cheese, chili, Lettus, tomato, mayo, onion and will the BEST burger you will ever put in your mouth goes great with an ice cold beer no complaints here!!

Reviewed 20 May 2012

The food is great, but the "sleazy" decor makes it homey. This place hasn't changed since I was in high school, and that was a long, long time ago. That's also what makes it great, it hasn't changed, just gotten better. The burgers are among the best in town, but I go there for the 60's lounge atmosphere.