“Everything Tastes Excellent!”

Caribbean Sweetness
Ranked #4 of 343 Restaurants in Spartanburg
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I had a mango smoothie. Then ordered picadillo with ripe plaintains, red beans, and white rice.

Mango smoothie was excellent! The sweetness was just right - it tasted natural. The picadillo was excellent too! I loved the sides, especially the ripe plaintains.

My husband had a cuban sandwich. He said was great - the sandwich wasn't greasy like other cuban sandwiches he's tasted.

I have nothing negative to say about this place, even the service was very good. I would definitely recommend this place to family and friends.

1  Thank NatureLover82

Reviewed 29 March 2014

... and Cuban-inspired food. My Puerto Rican girlfriend swears by its authenticity. GREAT mango & papaya licuados. Scrumptious guava and coconut cakes. Shrimp and chicken dishes of varying spiciness. I *love* the various versions of rice (white and yellow) and beans.

Nothing negative to report!

1  Thank DavidC8
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Combined Franci E and Jack S recommendations to enjoy the Cuban sandwich and the mango shake. Both were wonderful. However I was a little jealous of my friend's plate. He had the Picadillo, yellow rice and beans and a beef tamale. I had never had a Cuban sandwich before, so had to go with that craving. Will look to expand my horizons on next visit in April (have another business trip planned).

Service was excellent, though we didn't get the owner as much at our table. There was a bigger dinner party he was working with. However he did come over and spend some time with us, as well as helped his young waitress fill our order. Meanwhile, she was personable and fun. As it turns out, the mango shake can be made either as a smoothie or slurpee. When I couldn't decide which way to try it, she said "I'll surprise you." She brought out the smoothie version. Loved it!!!

I also had the plantains. Juicy and sweet. Can't blame them, but I don't like plantain chips, which come with the Cuban... so the plentiful amount they put on the plate got wasted. If you like them, you'll probably enjoy the serving. Also, they don't serve beer or alcohol. I wonder if they allow you to bring your own, or have corking fee if you bring wine.

Tip - park in the back. You'll be able to walk right into the outside seating, or proceed into the restaurant. The outside has a nice garden-walk affect that I would bet looks real nice in the warm weather because it seems like the trees would have leaves, etc.
Keep your eyes open... you could miss the place. Yet, once you know where it is, it's pretty obvious.
Closed Sundays.

I gave the owner a Trip Advisor decal to display on his window.
2 BURPS Up for me

1  Thank rking3170
Reviewed 16 March 2014

If you are looking for a ritzy place, this isn't it. If you want 100% authentic Cuban fare that you could put up against places in Miami and Ybor City in Tampa, then this is where you want to go. Everything is fresh and real. The menu is a simple meat and three format (genius move by the owner to implement a southern restaurant staple into Cuban fare). The mojo pork was amazing. The sides of yellow rice and black beans were solid as well. The owner is really customer conscious, and made sure my wife and I were happy with everything, and provided plenty of friendly banter as well We'll definitely find a reason to be back in Spartanburg soon to visit again!

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I love this place. I eat here every time I visit Spartanburg. My favorite is the Cuban Sandwich. Delicious!

1  Thank Franci E