“glad it was so cheap!”

Rodeway Inn Expo Center
Ranked #22 of 29 Hotels in Spartanburg
Reviewed 26 June 2013

we stayed at this hotel driving back from myrtle beach when we couldn't stay awake anymore. the front desk attendant was unbelievably nice and accommodating. the property was a typical red roof inn - if you're just there to sleep it gets the job done. however, the bed only had a sheet and a wool blanket for covers. i found human hairs on the fitted sheet and there was sand on the carpet...and we were inland. i woke up the next morning covered in itchy red bumps, so i threw my clothes in the trash. bed bugs or not, it was not sanitary. next time we will pay the extra $20 and stay at a comfort inn.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank yayitsyatesie

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Having read a number of the other reviews, I didn't know exactly what to expect. I stay in Red Roofs often and was curious to see how this one compared. The price was fine, just a tad under $50.00, and the gentleman at the dest was cordial and helpful. My room (when compared with other motels in this category...see my profile) was really very typical of others. There was no smell, it was clean enough, although the carpet was not particularly clean, definitely a keep your socks on place. Some may be bothered by this, but quite frankly, I keep mine on in most every motel in this particular category. The bed was a typical motel bed, slept ok but not great. Furniture in the room was motel stuff, and was rather worn. All in all the room was presentable, wifi worked fine, the tub drained, and the cable TV was fine. Ice machine was conveniently place and both it and the candy machine worked fine. Those I saw staying in the motel , though the inn was rather empty this night, were not families and some were a little suspect looking. One particular group I observed going in their room early in the evening , I later heard at !2:50 am beating on the door of their room. This was probably the main troublesome thing. All in all though, I came away feeling that the room and stay were worth what I paid to stay here. For McDonalds lovers, there is a McDonalds 50 or 75 yards away, which was in fact a brand new rebuilt one. As my title said , it wasn't as bad as some of the reviews seemed to say.

Room Tip: My stay was in room 115, large parking lot right in front of your door.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Like a bad dream ... when I opened the door, there was an overwhelming odor to the room.
Upon further inspection, the beds had only a sheet and comforter ... no blanket. The blankets were found crumpled in a pile above the room safe - both blankets not clean, evident by human hair. When asked for new blankets, there were none available ... quite evident when I was escorted to the laundry room and shown the lack of blankets and the back-up of dirty laundry! When asked for additional pillows, I was told there was only one extra to be found, we should use the pillow in "shifts." Really? The wash clothes were dirty and one bed comforter had a cigarette burn in it ... this was a nonsmoking room! I refused to stay.
Thank heavens I was able to book another nearby hotel. Thanks to the warm and welcoming nature of the young lady, I was able to view the room first before taking it for the weekend.
I strongly do not recommend staying at this Red Roof Inn. Try the nearby EconoLodge instead.

Room Tip: Upon arrival, ask the front desk representative to show you the room first.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Peggy C
Reviewed 25 May 2013

This was the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in! Scale of 1-10 .... 3.5! We stayed here for a week mainly bc we are on the road traveling, and it was cheap ( I guess you get what you pay for) The entire time we were there no one ever came to change the sheets and every time we needed fresh towels and wash cloths we had to get them ourself. The pillows had stains and looked like someone urinated on them, the picture above the bed had dead flies in them, the tub was constantly stopped up and the room previously had animals in it (allergies acted up, that's how I know) I would NEVER in my life stay there or at any 'RED ROOF' for that matter just based on this one. I will say, the other people staying there were pretty nice other than that 2 thumbs DOWN! If I had additional hands they would have their thumbs down too! On top of all of that the girl at the front desk has a nasty attitude! Next time I will spend the extra money or just sleep in my car!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank nikki w
Reviewed 3 April 2013

This motel was ok for an overnight stay. The room was ok clean but the sheets had tears in them. Who puts out sheets with tears in them for their guest. I mean, come on!! The pillows, WOW those were pillows? My other concern with this room and the other room I stayed in 2 nights later was there was electrical outlets without covers exposing a possible electrical shock by anyone, especially little kids.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I'm not picky about where I sleep. I don't mind camping, sleeping in my car, or even in an old scout camp cabin. I don't require many amenities when I stay somewhere. But when I do pay for a hotel room, I expect certain things: towels, enough pillows, sheets and a mattress pad on the bed, and respect from the front desk when I give it to them. With that said, last night I stayed at the worst hotel I've ever seen, with the worst customer service: Red Roof Inn Spartanburg, exit 17 off I-26.

While the room itself was passable for clean, there was some serious issues with amenities. There was no coffee for the coffee pot. The bed had a threadbare cover and a flat sheet -- no fitted sheet, no mattress pad. There was only one bath towel (for two people). Only three pillows, on a King-sized bed, that were lumpy. When I asked the GM for additional towels, sheets and pillows... He told me that I didn't pay enough money to be given more! He resented that I got a discounted rate through Expedia. He also said he would prefer if I checked out early!

I did. And called several other hotels, who were more than willing to upgrade me to a feather bed, extra feather pillows, and a morning check-in so that I didn't sit around wasting my day!

In short, if you're in the Spartanburg area, avoid Red Roof Inn. As for me, no matter where I am, I will always avoid Red Roof Inn... The entire company. If they can't control one franchise, they must not have much concern at other places too!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Frida H
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Nice room, on the first floor with a king bed. It was clean, large, well furnished, and a flat screen tv. Only problem, we requested extra pillows twice, once in person at front desk, and another time by phone, and never got them.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family