“Very Good Stay - business related trip”

Spartanburg Marriott
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Spartanburg
Reviewed 27 June 2013

This was very convenient and very comfortable for my recent business trip to the area. It is close to a downtown that seems to be getting updated. New restaurants are popping up and old downtown buildings seem to be sustained by these new businesses.

The hotel itself is clean and comfortable, with updated amenities. You must pay for wi-fi, and even though they state that the lobby offers free wifi, it is somewhat spotty. But they have newly remodeled, from what they told me, and have a bar and restaurant. They also have a coffee bar serving Starbucks coffee, although they are limited as to the types of Starbucks drinks they can do.

This is a very nice hotel and convenient to the highways to get you where you need to go.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Mike N, General Manager at Spartanburg Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Dear Chris H,
As a former resident of Fort Worth, I can appreciate the vitality brought about by a downtown revitalization, so I am pleased to hear that you recognize the new businesses springing up in support of the fine efforts made in downtown Spartanburg. I am also pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel. As you noted, we have recently renovated the restaurant and bar and are completing the guest rooms as well. On your next trip, you should notice an improved wi-fi availability as we replaced a faulty access point in the lobby area.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

There were lots of problems with my stay there. For what you pay for a room, over $100 per night, it looks like you would have free Wi-Fi and a micro-fridge. I get those in much cheaper hotels. In the restaurant you had to ask for refills, usually several times. On the day of check out we ask for help in getting our stuff from the 8th floor to the parking garage. We never got a cart or help. I carried our stuff by hand and it took 8 trips to get all to the car. That was not pleasant. The saving grace was free breakfast for those on the 8th floor. One night we called twice for towels and wash clothes and it took an hour to get them. For what this cost, it should have been better.

1  Thank Kathy B

Dear Kathy B,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Spartanburg Marriott. I am extremely disappointed we were not able to provide you with a positive, memorable experience on your recent visit. I apologize for not living up to the promise of providing you the comfort and the responsive service you expected and should have recieved. I am pleased you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast on the Concierge Level, and hope the event that brought you to Spartanburg was successful and enjoyable. I hope you will consider staying with us on your next trip to the area, and thereby offer us another chance to show our Southern Hospitality in its righful manner.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

Our son is a student at Wofford College, so we have visited Spartanburg on a number of times. Spartanburg is pretty lacking in good hotels, and the Marriott is by far the nicest in town. The front desk staff is very friendly and the location is convenient for downtown. The rooms have been recently renovated and there is plenty of meeting space. With that said, it is probably a "B" level property for Marriott, but there isnt much competition in town.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Mike N, General Manager at Spartanburg Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Dear MaggieP,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your stay with us back in March. With a son at Wofford, I hope the Hotel has many opportunities to host you and your family. In time I hope that you will come to see the Hotel and our staff as "A" level, and will enjoy your home-away-from home in Spartanburg.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

I didn't have a reservation on a Wed night, and was able to get a room. Front desk staff was very nice. Ate a light dinner in the bar area and again the staff (Leslie) was fabulous. Had an issue with the AC, I turned the AC to 68 when I left to grab dinner and 2 hours later when I opened the door it was a sauna in my room. I turned down the AC to 58 (I'm surprised it went that low!) and called maintenance who came up right away. His reader said the temp was 71 deg and immediately went to figure out the issue. In a few minutes my room was cool and I was comfortable the rest of the evening. Underground parking is a nice feature, however $12.95 for internet is ridiculous, but you can connect up to 4 devices in one room for that amount. I guess if you're sharing a room, it wouldn't be bad, but for one person, one night, it seems excessive.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side over look the pool, green area.
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I have not been at this hotel for 6 months and it was nice to see that they continue to update the décor, especially the rooms, which while clean and well kept, were showing their age.

The amenities let you relax and the gym offers a great selection of weights to help fight the travel food selections.

For war weary business travelers, helps to have a place that can call your "2nd home"

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Mike N, General Manager at Spartanburg Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Dear jh1253,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel. Our renovations in the restaurant, the bar, the outdoor patio, the ballroom and now the guest rooms have really changed the face of the hotel for the better and given us a fresh look to go with our great service. I am glad you like what you see.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

Really nice hotel.
Breakfast is great, and there's a fantastic pool on the outside.
Just a couple of blocks from Renato's, a terrific Italian restaurant.

Rooms are spacious, beds really comfortable, good internet, and the hotel has an underground complimentary parking which is an added value, considering there were some thunderstorms when I was there.
Also, the bar is good.
Definetively would get back.

Room Tip: Choose with back view. There's a big garden / green area, which is really nice.
Reviewed 24 May 2013

A very nice, well maintained, but failed to live up to its promises. No safe or refrigerator in the room. Not critical, but there advertising says they have both. The MOD says they have both, but only on some floors!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business