“A Real Treat ~ Tasty Lemonade Too!”
Review of Beacon Drive In

Beacon Drive In
Ranked #43 of 334 Restaurants in Spartanburg
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Less than 10 minutes off Interstate 85 ~ The Beacon Drive-in is a beautiful site to behold ~ and the many choices of food are amazing! How about a "hot wings basket" with wings, fries, cole slaw and hush puppies for $5 - that's my wife's order - I ordered my favorite, fried chicken livers with the same sides, same price! You could have had hamburgers or hot dogs instead, or any of several other choices. And, oh, I got one huge slice of pecan pie, split it with my wife - gooood. There's a photo here somewhere of our dinner.

This landmark drive-in has treated locals for a long time, and thanks to the Food Network TV show, it has extended its reach to us, the traveling public. It is a fun place to visit - a great place to eat!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

As a long-time Spartanburg resident, I've been coming to the Beacon for decades. We try to make it at least once a month or so. What keeps us coming back is the great overall experience, and signature food.

Having said that, it isn't for everybody. If you're looking for fancy-pants atmosphere, go elsewhere. If you want healthy food and tiny portions, don't bother. If you want a quiet, romantic place to go eat, you won't find it here, unless you get your order to go. I get so tired of reviewers criticizing the Beacon for what it isn't. Understand what you're getting into here.

If you want a taste of traditional, southern, "greasy-spoon", drive-in food, served fast and loud, with big portions, you've found the right place. Take your time reading the menu while in line. There are a bunch of options to take in. Once ready, step up and "call it"! You'll get it quick. You'll get it cheap. And you won't leave hungry. Some of our favorite selections include the burgers, chili-cheese burgers, fried bologna, and bar-be-cue hash. Everything on their menu is good. But they're famous for their "a-plenty" plates, heaped with fries and onion rings. There's a good chance it'll be more than you can handle. So do what we do. Have one person order an "a-plenty", and share the fries and onion rings with another person.

There is a reason Beacon Tea is sold in grocery stores in the area. It's the best on the planet. You could probably dip a string in a glass of it and grow rock candy. That's how sweet it's supposed to be. If you don't like it, that's your fault. They do have unsweetened tea for those unfortunates that can't have sugar. I hear it's good, too. You don't like tea at all? They have lemonade and soft drinks as well.

Don't forget dessert. They have an ice cream bar that is wonderful. Where else would you find a dessert called a "Pig's Dinner"?

What is there to say about the experience? Your ears are assaulted by the sounds from the kitchen from the moment you walk in. There's yelling of orders, confirmation of orders, and lots of other stuff going on. It's not quite as loud as when JC was alive, taking orders. But it's still a loud, lively place. The dining areas are tile, plastic and glass surfaces, echoing every sound. That's all part of the experience. Take it in and enjoy it for what it is.

Rest in Peace, JC.

1  Thank the_tool_man
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I have been to The Beacon several times. Any time we are driving by Spartanburg and have the time, I try to stop here. I knew what I was getting myself into, since I was forewarned of the grease and noise factors beforehand, so I wasn't taken by surprise. In fact, this was part of the thrill of the trip. Cheeseburger like a burger a plenty is my meal of choice. The onion rings are lightly breaded and better than average. The fries suit me also. But the burger is phenomenal and the sweet tea is some of the best (if you like sweet lemony goodness). Prepare yourself ahead of time, and you'll probably enjoy it and make it a repeat destination. If you think you're a sophisticated individual, you'll probably just go once. But in my opinion, it's a diamond in the rough.

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

It's been awhile but after reading reviews for The Beacon I just had to put my two cents in. The first time I visited I was in college, a very loooong time ago. A friend from Spartanburg took a group of us there and really it wasn't bad, a little greasy but we were kids, that's what we liked! Flash forward a few years, I found myself married and living in Spartanburg and I remembered The Beacon so I took my new husband there. OMG, he was furious at being yelled at about what his order was, hurry up, keep the line moving etc.. Yes, know what you want before getting in line. This was a very long time ago but do you think we ever went back? I'm sure you know the answer to that.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I've visited this place many times in my life and NEVER had a bad experience. While it is a loud and very busy restaurant, it's well worth it. You get a pile of delicious and succulant food for a reasonable price. The only drawback...the grease. Then again; not many things taste well if they don't have at least a little bit of grease. #yumyumgimmysome