“You have to go”

Hollywild Animal Park
Ranked #10 of 44 things to do in Spartanburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Temporarily Closed This SC Upstate family-oriented tradition is celebrating 27 years and offering an unforgettable experience for children and adults alike! Drive through millions of lights, themes, music, and displays that transform the nearly 100-acre-park into a winter wonderland in celebration of the holidays. Be sure to allow plenty of time to stroll in "Santa's Village" to enjoy relaxed fun with family and friends. There, you can pet, feed, and admire dozens of animals, have your photo taken with Santa, warm your hands or roast marshmallows by the bonfire, and visit Mrs. Claus' attic for an incredible panoramic view of the lights. Snap that selfie with a zebra, camel, or one of many animals waiting to meet you. Finish your evening with a drive to the inspirational nativity area. For an additional fee per vehicle you can enter our Enchanted Deer Forest and hand-feed hundreds of animals (animal food provided) from the comfort of your car.
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I had never been here before thinking it was a hokey place that you could see a couple old animals, over pay and then leave underwhelmed. I was 100% wrong! It was great! You great up close to all the animals especially on the safari. There are a ton of different animals. Great bang for the buck! I will be back.

3  Thank adam-kelley
in 46 reviews
"cows"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We visited this place several years ago and were so appalled that I wrote a letter to the USDA citing overcrowded conditions, lack of enrichment, inadequate shade, and overall sub standard conditions "Educational presentations" by indifferent staff and pathetically lethargic animals were a joke.

The USDA followed through-- making several visits over the course of a year or two --and apparently Hollywild addressed enough of the complaints to squeak by under the "in compliance" rating but reading the recent reviews of other travelers , obviously not much has changed.

My advice --especially for Spartanburg area residents-- is to enlist support on the local level to try to ameliorate the conditions for the animals so that Hollywild will become a humane and educational attraction for visitors throughout the area. If this is not possible, stay away in hope that lack of business will effect a change.

12  Thank belwen4
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We got some discount vouchers from Comfort Suites and went for a visit. I think a family would enjoy it more, but we did have a good time and it was a neat thing to experience in town and learn about some of the animal "Stars". :)

2  Thank Drake S
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I would suggest going 30 minutes before they open so you don't have to wait almost an hour to even get to the gates and pay. Family of four got in for $22 with the Deer Run but we had two free admission coupons. The Deer Run is CRAZY and we didn't know it was a drive around free for all! We still enjoyed it and those are the BIGGEST Holstein bulls we have ever seen. =) The lights were okay but I had to focus on not getting my Saturn stuck in the muddy areas. Santa's Village was okay as well, good to see different types of animals and they all seemed well taken care of. I know that one donkey looked miserable though because the speaker was blasting his ears full of Christmas music. My advice is to go super early and skip the Deer Run. If you go later all the animals are not hungry and wont come to you and the kids, except for the cows. =)

2  Thank MamaJ88
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I took my daughter and son in law, with my husband, to this park, the employees were mean and rude, we didn't see any animals except for cow and deer and the lions...the other ones were at "holiday light safari" which was off limits to us although we paid the admission fee. I've never been treated so rudely EVER ! The trash cans were running over and there was one Port a Potty inside the animal fence !!!! and a very long line of people waiting to use it . I will never ever go back to this place. EVER !!!!! Terrible.

12  Thank SherryS1