“Lost its Luster”

Southern Suites Spartanburg
Southern Suites Spartanburg
Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Spartanburg
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Southern Suites, Spartanburg has changed management and the old Lovely lady has lost her luster. The place in a word has gone to the DOGS. Please ask to see your room before check in , to save yourself sometime. They have way to many "Locals" living their and it is not being kept clean to say the least. We have found some of the guest have keys to all the rooms.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank DennisVarner
Reviewed 26 January 2011

Overall the room was good.The property lacks in up keep of room fixtures and housekeeping daily operations. As far a the housekeeping staff,they were good. ,taking into consideration what they were having to deal with. Inside our room our bedside lamps were falling apart...needed replacing ages ago.The pillows were so old the filling was all knotted and balled up.We had to go buy our own because housekeeping had no other pillows to exchange the bad ones with. The towels were clean,but when they cleaned your room they weren't able to give you fresh towels at that time...they had to bring them back later after they washed them....if they didn't forget.So if they forgot then you were stuck til the next day unless you had brought your own. The fitted sheets were too small for the beds...so I had to go buy one.. Housekeeping was sweeping the carpet with a broom.When I asked her why she wasn't vacuming it,she said she would come back later ...there was only 1 vacume for the whole property.We were there for 2 months and I even asked the office what the problem was with housekeeping .They only said that the owner was aware.I asked to speak to the owner...and he never returned my call.The only reason we continued to stay was the fact that that there were no vacancies close enough to our work.

Like someone else said in a review there were people living there and sitting outside like it was a front porch and making it hard for you to get by when you were leaving or coming back to your room. Also there were broken down cars that were there in the same space for the 2 months we stayed...surely there must a city ordienance to control this.

We checked out a couple days early so they don't give any refunds...but that is just policy for most weekly rates. The manager asked me how was the stay...and I handed her the balled up pillow and said "ya might want to take the money you can't refund me for checking out early and buy some new pillows." She laughed.I told her it wasn't funny...it was sad that they were too cheap to replace needed items.

We won't be going back there.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Classy29550
Reviewed 29 November 2009

My wife and I stayed @ Southern Suites (Spartanburg, SC) recently and found it to be under a huge upgrade. A new Manager and staff were very nice and helpful. I did find some folks staying term but they were working in Spartanburg and commuting home on the weekends. All said I would ask that you give this remodeled property a second look as they are working hard to make changes. We found the remodeled rooms to be quite nice, fair prices and a very clean place to stay.
Dennis Varner

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2008

Im writing this review because, I use tripadvisor EVERYTIME I book a trip and while searching for reservations for our 3rd trip of the year, I came upon a really bad property review which reminded me of my stay here last year.

We relocated from NJ to SC and had about 4 weeks from the time we confirmed we both had employment in SC to relocate, buy a house and put our old house on the market, so in my defense, I was really busy arranging everything and simply was pressed for time when I booked this reservation.

Well, I thought I was smart because when I found this property on another website (a good website for finding ALL properties in area, not as good for getting traveler reviews as tripadvisor tho) I knew the property from our previous trip was just down the street abt 5 miles from where we were buying our home and that the area was in a decent part of town. We just needed a place to stay for 1 week b4 we closed on our home. How bad could it be?

Well I will tell you. First off, a lot of people 'live' at this hotel. At less than 200$ per week I can see the allure for those who may be have a hard time getting rental leases. When we drove up there were abandoned and broken down cars in the parking lot and people sitting in lawn chairs outside w/ the the door wide open. The place looked more like subsidized housing than a hotel.

The room we stayed in was filthy and I mean filthy. The carpet which was very dark, was so dirty my childrens socks (i wouldnt let them walk around the room without them) were pitch black at the bottom after walking around the room for only a few minutes. Everything leaked including the refrigerator, toilet and kitchen sink. There were fleas or knats or something and a 'family' of them living in our room. We went to the walmart abt 1/2 mile away and bought cleaner, sheets, blow up mattresses, and anything else that we could think of to get thru the night. We had to wait until 10:30a the next morning for someone to open the front office so we could get the heck out of there. With no argument and a look like she was shocked we lasted the entire night in our room, the lobby attendant gave us our money back.

On the bright side there is a mall down the street and a Dennys right across the street and quick access to i-26 one of the major interstates in the area. I guess there is a place for every kind of traveler. This place was not for us.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank ginams00