“A little work would make it much better”

Courtyard Spartanburg
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Spartanburg
USA
“A little work would make it much better”
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Could be a very nice hotel but my experience with the cleanliness makes it a little lacking. I like to use the table they have on wheels that pulls out from under the desk. On the two stays there within a month both times the desk was filthy. On the first stay the desk was covered with a sticky substance. On the second stay it was covered with dust and there was a receipt from a local store (dated three days prior) on top of it where it clearly not been cleaned. Even though the place looks fairly nice and it makes me wonder how good of job housekeeping does cleaning other things.

The location is fine and I never felt uncomfortable but it isn't the best. There is a cheap hotel next-door that often has derelicts hanging around outside.

Ultimately, there are other better hotels in town for the price. I would stay here again if the price was right and I needed the proximity to a location nearby.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Darryl K, General Manager at Courtyard Spartanburg, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback concerning your recent stay at the spartanburg Courtyard. Please accept my sincere apology for the cleanliness isssues you encountered with your guest room. I will use your feedback as continual training for the staff to improve. I hope if you find yourself in the Spartanburg area again you will give us another chance.

Darryl Kosiorek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Charlotte
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Started with personable, customer service driven front desk rep, Christina, who had to get creative and patient to find my reservation because it had gotten logged improperly. We had a good laugh, and she never had a tone of wondering if I was in the wrong hotel. Her tone was more about helping me find a way to be IN the hotel. Appreciated her follow through. Her partner, Jen, was also friendly and conversational. They definitely were there to be of service. Thanks ladies.

Heard one of the room attendants softly singing as she was doing the laundry. She blushed and apologized when I complimented her, but I didn't find her to be disturbing at all. And (since I am a non singer) she definitely sounded better than I do... so I gave her high praise. LOL

Room Tip: I think I'll go with the first floor inside room next time. Inside rooms face into the courtyard...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Martinsville, Virginia
Reviewed 1 March 2014

This is good hotel with a really great and friendly staff, I want to start off by saying that to make sure this review starts off on a good note. My wife and I stayed here one night and the house was full. A few volley girls' volleyball teams were staying there as were a couple of baseball teams. I noticed when we arrived around 7pm, housekeeping was still busy with several rooms. I found that several of the teams that day that were leaving needed a late checkout...5pm. However, the hotel staff was able to accommodate and turn the rooms quickly. Our room was very clean and fortunately was not one still a work in progress. Upon checking in, my wife found that the house does not provide makeup removal wipes as does the Fairfields. Internet is advertised as "free" but that is the basic iBahn service that provided me with an average of 0.97 M/bs. The $4.95 per night per 2 devices "enhanced service" got me 2.73 Mb/s, not my definition of "high speed". There is a limited "Bistro" in the lobby that will provide breakfast but we did not partake. Expect the typical Marriott hospitality. Staff are very attentive and helpful. the building in an "L" shape with the lobby and registration area at one of the 'tips". A long walk to rooms, if they are on the end and a long walk to the elevator since it is in the crux of the "L". Would stay there again but would first check to make sure they are not full with "groups". One other thing, the online reservation stated the room was "non-adjoining". It was and the family next door got the kids up about 5pm for volley ball, I guess, and dad had a commanding voice. Also, the HVAC made a little too much noise. Forgot what my sound meter read but it was about conversational level at times when across the room.

Room Tip: Clicked Room Service but did not require room service...could not de-click.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Darryl K, General Manager at Courtyard Spartanburg, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thank you for providing feedback concerning your recent stay with us. Our goal is 100% customer satisfaction and we appreciate you giving us the opportunity to improve. We hope if you find yourself in the Spartanburg area again you give us another chance.

Darryl Kosiorek
Kings Mountain, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 December 2013

After a very thorough review of several hotels in the Spartanburg area, I decided to select Courtyard by Marriott. I read multiple reviews for the hotel so I was very pleasantly surprised to find out the good reviews were right on track. The hotel is very nice, the rooms were spacious and clean. The bistro is pleasantly appointed and the breakfast was delicious. I would encourage those who are looking for a hotel with breakfast included to chose this hotel. We had a $18 dollar breakfast for only $10 in addition to the cost of the room (it's a great bargain for actual home cooked meal). The staff was friendly and even gave my husband a free cup of Starbucks coffee before closing up after breakfast. If we need to stay in Spartanburg again, we will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bware1973
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I don't have much to say about this hotel.
The hotel was big compared to two other Courtyards where I had stayed.
I stayed there for two nights for a social event. Because of the event, hotel was too crowded and lobby was almost full whole day. The bar was busy. The female bartender was too rude. She dropped few wine glasses and was showing her anger to the people drinking who chuckled when she dropped that glass.
Also, the hotel is located near no where.
Besides that, the hotel is clean

Room Tip: This hotel is located middle of nowhere. Either this or hotel is too big that location looks too bo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank babinz
columbus, ohio
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

I want to say that I initially had a room booked at the Marriott. I requested an early check in. Now I know that is not guaranteed. I am a platinum premier rewards member. Well i had a meeting cancellation and try checking in at 12noon. I wasn't expecting to get a room that early but I was hoping to get my name on the list. I was treated fairly poor and seemed like I was inconveniencing the front desk clerk. I cancelled and booked at this cy hotel.

Well, Tana was working the front desk and she told me they were booked the night earlier but asked for my ph number and would call me when a room was available. She called me about a half hr later. That is customer service and I would have expected that from marriott but I am very thankful for Tana.

The hotel is a typical cy, but Internet speed is great and they have plenty if outlets for our gadgets. The only downside is the location. Good for travelers driving but if u need to walk for food this isn't the place.

• Stayed September 2013
Richmond, Kentucky
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Very clean, quiet, responsive staff, good bed - I wish they hired a designer whose head wasn't stuck in the 1980's - but everything was well done. We went across the street for breakfast so I cant comment on the restaurant - but - Ill be back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business