“AWESOME stay! I could not have received a better room for our wedding night!”

Residence Inn Spartanburg
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Spartanburg
Spartanburg, South Carolina
“AWESOME stay! I could not have received a better room for our wedding night!”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My now husband is in the military and we decided to get married the week he was home on leave. My sister and father in-law wanted to make it special so they booked a room here since the Marriott downtown was booked and the Residence Inn ended up being the PERFECT place! They knew it was our wedding night from the reservation and excitement of us telling them and the staff went above and beyond to make it special. Once we arrive in the room the doors to the master bedroom were closed and we opened it up and there were rose peddles, wine, candy, strawberries with melted chocolate and drinks waiting for us! They even made a meal for us in two tupperware containers!! It could not have been a better way to start our marriage. Thank you so so much!

Green Features: I am always glad to hear a hotel having environmentally-friendly practices.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
RISpartanburgGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Spartanburg, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Hello Taylor T.

Thanks for the nice words you had to say about the hotel and our staff. We are so happy you chose our hotel for your wedding night getaway.

We wish you good luck and thank you to you and your husband for his service to our country.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Driving home to Atlanta from Baltimore I made a quick stop to this hotel. Glad that I did, rooms where clean. Nice size TVs and everything needed for a quick nights rest. They serve a nice complementary hot breakfast. If I'm passing thru SC again. This is definitely where I will stop. Love it here.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
RISpartanburgGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Spartanburg, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hi Teeisit!

Thank you for your kind words. I'll be sure to share your comments with our team here at the hotel.

I hope to see you again soon!
Fishersville, Virginia
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This is an older Residence Inn and has a different layout than many others we have stayed in. It's the kind where all the 2 bedrooms are 2 stories and there are not doors on the bedrooms. (Both are pretty big downsides for a family with small children). The outdoor area is nice with very pretty landscaping between the buildings, but the room and buildings were pretty dated. The shower curtain blocked the bathroom light and made it very dark when taking a shower. We did not have any trouble with noise from other rooms, but there were birds singing outside our window all night. They would have been nice to wake up to in the morning, but I was woken by then more than once during the middle of the nights! The two bedroom unit only provided 4 plates and a few bowls and no dish soap- only a single packet of dishwasher detergent. The breakfast was just ok. I've had better free hotel breakfasts, but I've also had worse. There were (fake) scrambled eggs, cereal, bagels and bread, pastries, whole fruits, yogurt, and changing hot items like sausage, potatoes, or biscuits and gravy. And of course the waffle maker (which had a long wait on a Saturday morning but was easily accessible the other days). Seating in the breakfast area is very limited. The pool was closed during our stay, maybe still from Winter? We only requested housekeeping services one day of our stay. They missed a few bags of garbage but otherwise did fine. The staff we encountered were all very friendly, especially at breakfast. Overall, the hotel was average. We love to stay at Residence Inns, but wouldn't choose this one again.

• Stayed April 2014
RISpartanburgGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Spartanburg, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Hello Huz53,
Thank you for your fair review of the Residence Inn Spartanburg. I appreciate your taking the time to share your comments on the hotel. Our hotel will be undergoing a renovation beginning this month. One of the items being addressed is the size of our gatehouse where our breakfast is served. We will be expanding our dining area to accommodate more families at the same time. Thank you for the suggestion of adding additional plates and flatware in our Penthouse suites. That is an easy change for us to make.

I hope that you will give us another chance when you are in the area again. Thank you again for your comments.
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

My room was gi-normous two story two bedroom with full kitchen and electric fireplace. Comfortable beds, good showers, 3 TVs! BUT the carpet and upholstery looked like it had never been changed since the hotel was built 20+ years ago. Ditto the exterior: rusted railings and peeling paint on the staircases and porches. They really need to invest in many buckets of paint and a good steam cleaner.

Location was right near I-26 which is why i chose it. I had several business trips up and down the highway. There is a Subway and Cracker Barrel next door. If you want more you need to drive about two miles to the main drag where there is a Target and many other stores.

If they just cleaned this place up a bit, it could be really sweet.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hello Charles P.

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Residence Inn Spartanburg. The hotel will be undergoing a major renovation starting this month, and we will be addressing all the concerns you noted in your comments. I hope that should you return this way again, you give us another chance. We appreciate your taking the time to write a review.
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We have stayed here three times in 18 months but will not again. While the staff is friendly and helpful, the physical structure has deteriorated with each stay. The deck and stairs had paint seriously pealing and the nails were rusting. Basically, all the decks and stairs need replacing. Black marks of some kind were all over the exterior stucco. We arrived at night and we road past the entrance three times (although we had stayed twice before). We found out the entrance sign and the lights along the entrance road were out. We stayed five nights and the lights were never repaired. BMc

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bill M
RISpartanburgGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Spartanburg, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Hello Bill M,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear that you don't plan on returning to the hotel because of the physical structure of the hotel has deteriorated. Our maintenance team performs regular preventative maintenance on the property and the decks and stairways are on their PM checklists, however, we do have a planned renovation for the entire hotel beginning in April 2014, and the existing stairways and decks will be taken down and replaced with brand new decking and stair treads. In the meantime, we will certainly look into areas that need immediate attention and will remedy those situations.

We are aware of the entrance sign lighting being temporarily inoperative. It is being worked on as I write this. We had major outdoor electrical repair work done on the property in mid-December to get all the landscape lighting and parking lighting working at full capacity. Unfortunately, during the repair of that lighting, we ran into a wiring problem with the driveway and sign lighting. As you may know from your visits, many of the lights are located high up in the trees and then the cabling is buried underground. Our electrician has been working on the problem since December, but due to buried electrical wires, the holidays and weather events, he has been delayed in locating the problem and resolving it. It should be repaired in the next few days as long as the weather stays seasonable.

It is disappointing to hear you don't plan on returning. I hope that with the information I provided you may consider us again, as you said, the staff is friendly and helpful. It would be nice for you to come back to see the improvements we have made.
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful evening in one of the Penthouse rooms. It's two levels with 2 king beds and two bathrooms, living room and kitchen! We were here to celebrate a one year anniversary. We had ordered takeout and ate at the table in the kitchen and then settled in for a night of games and tv in front of the fireplace. We're most happy with our stay here! Thanks!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Derrick N,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your TripAdvisor review. We are glad your anniversary visit was so enjoyable! We hope you have many more happy years and that the Residned Inn by Marriott, Spartanburg, will continue to be in your celebration plans.
Raleigh, United States
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

I left a ring in my hotel room. I called the day we left and asked if they had found it. They did not, but I was promised they would look. I called the next day, and they told me they had spoke to housekeeping and they did not find it either. Little did they know that I was traveling back through, and I stopped in to talk with them. As I spoke to a lady, she told me they never spoke to housekeeping and couldn't help me. They were not concerned at all. I know they didn't lose it, but at least act professional and show some sympathy. Will never stay here again although I travel through often.

Stayed December 2013
RISpartanburgGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Spartanburg, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Hello Phillip R,
I appreciate that you took the time to write your comments about your misplaced ring. I had the opportunity to be present during the conversation that took place regarding the lost ring when you returned to the hotel on Friday, 12/20. The woman you were speaking with was our executive housekeeper and she was not initially aware of the ring your wife lost as she had been on her days off for the previous 2 days. I however was aware of the lost ring and I feel that I as well as other staff members went above and beyond to locate the ring even though you were not positive it was even lost at the hotel. We had 3 team members, including our housekeeping supervisor and executive housekeeper as well as one of our front desk associates all look in the room at various times during the week. In addition, our maintenance engineer searched through all the dirty vacuum bags for all the vacuums our room attendants use in case it was inadvertently sucked up during housekeeping service. I do admit we should have been more proactive in our response to you and your wife, I know you were told that we would contact you if we found the ring, we should have called you either way when the room was searched. We will work on our internal and external communications skills so we don't have this problem in the future. When speaking via telephone with your wife, she felt that no one here lied to anyone, and mentioned she really enjoyed her stay with us. She just wishes she had not lost the ring which has significant sentimental value to her. We will continue to look for the ring, we hope you do the same amongst your travel belongings and that the ring turns up. Your wife has my contact information if you or she would like to contact me directly in the future. We hope you have a chance to return and stay with us again.