“Southern Style for Gluten Free”

Simply Southern Bistro
Ranked #1 of 142 Restaurants in Sumter
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Phone:(803) 469-8502
Reviewed 12 May 2014

What a win their take on Shepherds Pie is so yummy and plentiful, I didn't have to feel left out of the eating out experience. The Staff were very helpful and had no problem with finding out what all I could eat at the restaurant.

While the pickings were slim compared to all the regular food offered I was surprised to find anything in a down home southern battered and fried food heaven like this one. They always try to have at least one or two items from the entree list. And like I said it was very yummy.

My husband had the Duck with gravy and he raved about it.

Prices were avg for a family night out each was over $10 but under $15.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Simply Southern was delicious. I had the shrimp and grits, and glad I only had a half serving--it was very rich, and left room for some other goodies. Fresh hush puppies were huge and really tasty, the fried green tomatoes were awesome, and my friend's duck breast with sweet potato waffle-cut fries looked really good.

There was a disappointing lack of the crab soup--it's seasonal, apparently, and only served in the colder months--but the short menu had plenty of other good dishes on it.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

My experience at SSB was wonderful. We were greeted by a spunky yet polite employee that welcomed our group. The waitress that took our order made recommendation and could also describe the contents of the dishes in detail.
The food was offered in half size and full size portions. I have not eaten at all of the restaurants in Sumter, but this is by far at the top of my list. The food was exceptional. Each member of our party enjoyed a different meal. I will go back.

1  Thank Christopher H
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My first two experiences at SSB were awesome. Great food and great service. However, I believe last night the chef was off his game. Way off. Before I get into the food I would like to say our service was incredible, and our waitress was very nice. I have nothing bad to say about her service whatsoever, but the food.... yuck. We ordered hush puppies as an appetizer and they were very dark, almost burnt. It was early, maybe the oil was too hot. I don't know. I ordered the seafood platter, and my daughters ordered pasta and a burger. Their dishes were okay. Nothing really good or bad about them. My seafood platter was served with a tiny amount of fries and no lemon, cocktail or tartar sauce. First oyster I bit into I crunched on a big piece of stone. When the crab cake finally arrived it was so over seasoned and burnt on one side it was not edible. While we were dining the owner (or manager) was walking around greeting other customers and he didn't acknowledge us. We finished our meal, even ordered a to go box for my husband and when we were leaving the owner/manager was sitting up front talking to other customers. He made eye contact with us and never said a word. Not have a good night, thanks for coming, hope you enjoyed your meal... NADA! So, even though the service was great we will not be going back again. I would rather spend 85$ on a meal at another local business where our patronage is actually appreciated.

4  Thank jamm0m
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Very, very good. I visited a few years back a few times and the food was delicious. Looking forward to going soon.

4  Thank NigiriEel