“Gold Priority Club Member disrespected”

Holiday Inn Express - Sumter
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Sumter
Greenville, North Carolina
“Gold Priority Club Member disrespected”
Reviewed 9 November 2010

I am a Gold Priority Club Member of Holiday Inn Express. I travel in excess of 225 days per year, with the majority of my stays at HI Express. This afternoon I attempted to get a room at the HI Express, 2490 Broad St., Sumter, SC and was informed by Josh, the front desk clerk, that the hotel was full, with only two rooms remaining. If I wanted one of those rooms it would be full rate of $119, that he was instructed by the owner not to reduce the rate. I informed the young Josh that I a gold priority club member and i asked for the usual govt rate. I was informed that since the hotel only had two rooms available I could pay full rate or leave. I left. I guess the Gold Priority Club Member is useless in Sumter, SC. I hope the Sumter SC HI Express doesnt forget the good times when the rooms are empty. I went across the street and got a room for $69, brand new hotel, Country Inn & Suites.

Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
7 Thank tito27834

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 3 November 2010

Absolutely the most comfortable matress I've slept on in a hotel. The room was very clean, service was excellent, and I honestly can't say anything negative about it other then it was booked my last day here.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank ERServices
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Hotel great. Rooms were very comfortalbe and clean. Staff was very attentive to our needs and always customer focused. My wife had to work some over the weekend which meant my daughter and I were in and out of the room. The maid service worked around us being in and out of the room. Great hotel. Breakfast was good with a wide variety of items each morning.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank rd4ldo
Tomball, Texas
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Firstly this was my first stay at a Holiday Inn express and I have to say I was very impressed. You can tell the hotel is fairly new, everything is still in good condition and very clean. The rooms and bathroom were plenty big enough and of a very good standard. (The only negative I have for the rooms in that the bathroom is in need of an extractor fan). The housekeeping service is very good and the maid who cleaned my room (204) was so friendly and really did do an excellent job of keeping the room clean and tidy. The staff on the front desk were no where near as polite as housekeeping, I have spoken to 4 different people and can only say that one of the men seemed helpful, the rest seemed as though I was more of an inconvenience (maybe someone needs to tell them, its the guests that pay their wages and keep them in a job). Breakfast was of good quality plenty to choose from although I found the bacon and scrambled eggs to be pretty awful, but luckily lots of other food to choose from. Handy guest laundry on site but it would have been more helpful if the hotel offered a 24 hour dry cleaning service. Nice modern clean hotel but just need to get the front desk staff more co-operative.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank applestrudel
Virginia
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Booked 3 nights. One as Rewards redemption and two paid nights. Upon check-in, "Elizabeth" rudely told my family and I that we would need to check out of our room (physically move out of the room) the next morning and check back in for the second reservation! And she said we maybe would get the same room! I asked are you serious? And she rolled her eyes! Yes, she actually rolled her eyes at us! I asked for the manager. She stated he was in AZ, but I could call him. I did call and got his voicemail. He did return the call that night and apologized without even hearing my side of the story. Seemed just like a canned apology. (Maybe he does that a lot with "Elizabeth"?) Never once were we welcomed to the hotel by our front desk person, "Elizabeth", nor acknowledged as Gold Rewards members. In fact, the next morning when I opened the door to find all rooms but ours with a newspaper, I asked "Elizabeth" where our paper was. She stated, "Are you Rewards members?" Now, this is the same person who checked us in as Rewards night redemption! And guess what? No papers left! Check out was no better, as "Elizabeth" was once again on duty, and once again quite rude. She is a definite detriment to this hotel.

The online booking listed 2 adults and 2 children. Yet, each and every day we only received two towels. Even AFTER we told them we require 4 each day. We had to walk to front desk for towels each night. Again, is this how customers are treated?

Room was so-so, a bit dated, but did have a small refrig and microwave. A/C and heating unit is under window and is either on or off. No auto mode. So, it consistently runs and is noisy. TV was good- A Samsung LCD. However, no movies available at this hotel. HBO listed, but not available. Bathroom has caulking missing around tub with mildew growing. We had the two queen bed room and that's too small for 2 adults and 2 children.
Breakfast was quite good. Always had biscuits/gravy, eggs, bacon, sausage, and the usual cold items. Cozy breakfast area and friendly staff there.

We will NOT stay at this hotel again- even if free! Front desk person, "Elizabeth" is one of the rudest people we have ever met. Even my 10 year-old son asked, "Why is that lady so mean?" I had no answer for him, other than she's not a lady. However, I think Holiday Inn managerment should find out....

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank rolnroc
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Reviewed 18 June 2010

I spent about a month at the Holiday Inn Express Sumter. I found this hotel to centrally located, close to Shaw AFB, and compared to other hotels in the area seems to be "upscale". The room is large, and the AC is excellent. The front desk staff(person) is friendly, and helpful, but considering it is a limited service hotel does not jump through hoops to be helpful. The free breakfast has BACON which is a plus for me!

I've only had one situation at this hotel that detracted from my experience. A few nights ago two women checked into the room next to mine and considering the amount of late night visitors they got I assumed that they were running a small business in there room.

My only really issue with this hotel is the soap and shampoo situation. Considering that the housekeeper waits until the bar is paper thin to give you a new one, you would think that the Housekeeper is paying for the soap themselves.

Again though compared to the other choices in Sumter the Holiday Inn definately stands out!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank kp7j4x
home
Reviewed 10 October 2008

holidayinnexpress in sumter is great.
everything you would want in a great hotel.
clean and a very friendly counter help.
resturants within walking distance.chilis,outback,applebees etc.

1 Thank travelingbuddy034