“Not bad if you like roaches” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge Sumter

Econo Lodge Sumter
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Sumter
“Not bad if you like roaches”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

The price was good if you don't mind a few roaches. The heater/air conditioner was old and antiquated and took forever to heat up. My mother's room had an incredibly old TV that didn't work well. Other than all that it was ok. I recommend staying there as a last resort.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Parkhill, Ont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

This hotel was somewhat like stepping back in time. Although it was old and a little worn, it was mostly clean and inviting. What it lacked in looks was made up for by the friendliness of the staff. We enjoyed sitting out by the pool even though it was slightly raining. There were not many people around so the staff were enjoying a bit of freedom as well. It seemed like a family run hotel. In the morning we went for breakfast and the lady in charge went and did up a plate full of eggs for us so that we would be able to enjoy them freshly cooked.

Room Tip: we had a pool side room.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Doris041
Goldsboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

Good stay

My wife and I stayed for a couple of days for a graduation. Hotel showed signs of recent work but, we were pleasantly pleased. Our stay was enjoyable. Made prior arrangements because of respiratory problems and cannot stay in or be around any cigarette smoke. Room did not have a hint of smoke.

Staff was very friendly, desk clerk, maintenance, housekeeping, servers at breakfast bar, all did an outstanding job. As I travel to Sumter several times this will be the place I will be staying. I wish they would make the spaces in the parking lot bigger, as I had a full size truck but, I did get in the vehicle in there space.

Rug in room was worn but cleaned, just a small amount around dust on the baseboard and edge where they sanded the wall, the mattress was nice no stains, sheets no stains, towel were on the softer side of most hotels. Pool was open both days and closed at 9 pm. After pool closed it was very quiet. Everything in room worked. It appears they are working on something however; I will be back there next month.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Raymond R
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

I know that sumter palmetto inn is now known as econolodge. And i know this place for a long time. it has went down from previous owners. But as i know of them now. are great happy people. yes the hotel is not the prettiest but also isnt the Hilton. but the customer service is amazing. I heard things from different people. But honestly you got to try things once maybe twice to see what changes have been made. I liked it alot better than from any other preppy hotel ive stayed at. You might get the really nice area but the customer service is nasty cause they think they are everything and you cant get any better. Id rather get respected than have a diamond suit. would def go back. Also the hott bar breakfast was perfect!

Room Tip: middle rooms are the best!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Stronger89
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

The pool is never open. They say that they just put chemicals in it and it has to sit for a while before anyone goes in, but an employee told me that it hasn't been open for months. Watch out for shady characters. Definitely don't bring kids here./

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. RUN!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Keys S, Manager at Econo Lodge Sumter, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
At the time of your stay, we had just purchased the hotel and were just getting started on the improvements. The pool had been closed for 3 summers and we were trying desperately to get it operational. We are so sorry for your inconvenience, and if you ever are in the Sumter area again, please give us a try. I will be available to you by phone and will be happy to take care of your accommodations personally.

Travellers are raving about these Sumter hotels

Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

The rooms were dirty. In fact I left everything in the car. I felt unsafe. The rooms are outside in unattached buildings. At 3am a man started pounding on the door and was staring at me through the window. As soon as it was daylight we checked out and moved to a different hotel.

• Stayed May 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
On behalf of the staff and management of the new Econo Lodge of Sumter, I would like to apologize for any problems you had during your stay. The hotel had only been under the current owner and management for about 2 weeks during your stay. Since then we have made great improvements and are constantly working on offering upgrades to our customers. If there is anything I can do for you if you are in the area again, please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel and I will take care of your accommodation needs.
Kingsport, TN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2008

I'm an RN travel nurse who accepted a 13-week contract with Tuomey Regional Medical Center in Sumter, SC in August 2007. This was a "fast-start" position (I was needed immediately), so my apartment that my travel agency was preparing for me was not ready yet. My husband and I were told we'd have to stay in a hotel overnight. No problem. My agency said they found a hotel that was literally within walking distance of the med center where I was starting my new assignment....Ramada Inn of Sumter. My nursing agency booked the room for us & paid for it for us since our apt was not ready. We walked straight to our room with room key in hand, no paper work...all was already taken care of. Very good, so far.

Wow...what a bomb! Our room was dark & damp. There was coffee cups, but no coffee maker (stolen?). The hair dryer didn't work. And the wall that the commode was on appeared to have a dark brown smear above the toilet that looked just like feces. All that, I still wasn't going to say anything.

But the following morning this took the cake....I was in a hurry to get to orientation at the hospital. My husband hurriedly went to turn in the room keys & grab a cup of coffee (since we had none in our room) at the hotel front desk. The lady at the desk asked my husband for the room receipt. My husband said he didn't have one...that I was a travel nurse and my agency took care of all the paper work. She said that "rules were rules" and if he could not produce a receipt, that she couldn't give him anything to drink. He said that he just wanted a cup of black coffee because our room had no coffeemaker in it. No dice. Now here's the clincher.....Ramada's marquee right outside the motel proudly claimed FREE HOT BREAKFAST for their customers. Yet, my husband was not allowed ONE CUP OF BLACK COFFEE? He even asked her to look up our names in the computer to verify the information & that he was a paying customer, and she told him she "didn't have time for that". Now this was at 7:50 am...there was no other customers around. Not busy check-in/check-out time. There was no other customers around!! Terrible, terrible, terrible customer service....never again!!

Bottom line....we spent 13 weeks in Sumter & had an overall WONDERFUL experience. Great people, true Southern Hospitality!!! Wonderful everywhere...even my job.....EXCEPT for the Ramada Inn. It was truly the only bad thing we had happen to us the whole time....and it was on my first night ever in Sumter!

Save your time and money....stay somewhere...ANYWHERE else. Luckily for us, it was free.

• Liked — Walking out of there!!!
  • Disliked — Everything.....especially the
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
2 Thank spankynurse
This hotel was purchased by a new owner and LLC the latter part of 2011. We had nothing to do with the condition of this hotel prior to that date. It is now an Econo Lodge by Choice Hotels and very much improved, with constant upgrades.