“No reason to stay here”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Surfside Beach
Raleigh, North Carolina
“No reason to stay here”
Reviewed 10 December 2010

Referred to this hotel for an event, and despite reading the previous reviews, I still booked. ALL HAIL TripAdvisor!!

This establishment was previously something else, by name, and still has a ways to go before it is near to Comfort Inn/Choice Property quality. The most I can say about this establishment is, it was clean, and I didn't have to chase anyone to get extra bath linens which has been a constant scenario at most places we've stayed this summer.

- Pillows were the size of Chicklets. Little, square white chicklets.No standard size pillows
- Refitted bathroom incl molded framed shower shell, in that, if you are over 6', you aren't fitting in this shower, as the ceiling of the shell is too low. And over 5'6" you will be doing some turns to water all of your parts
- BREAKFAST WAS HORRIBLE!! How many days do you have to keep leaving out the fruit that has already rotted, and not replace it with fresher fruit? Stale muffins, stale cereal, warm milk - you are outta luck
- Environmental control includes a haphazard dial and cranky motor. It's either hot or cold, so choose
- Older furnishings, and bed is not what I would rate as comfortable, but to each his own
- TV is older, and menu pops up and won't go off. Volume had three blips of movement
- No fridge, at all, at this establishment

I don't know where this property is at, in terms of an update, but it has a long ways to go. There is A LOT of empty space in the room which just kind of doesn't make sense. There is room for a fridge, seating, etc. ???

The point is this - there is no reason to stay here. You are better off for your dollar to stay 5-10 mins down the road in Myrtle Beach, for the same $ - OR LESS - and get far better facilities and services, prob a much better (definitely fresher) breakfast if they include it, and pillows meant for your adult head.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank bigdtripd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Rock Hill, South Carolina
Reviewed 21 May 2010

this reservation was made almost 3 mths ahead of arrival,upon check in the front desk employee was rude in her tone of voice,difficulty locating the correct reservation and payment,very condescending tone,later this employee was feeding stray cats in the front of the entrance door.the room was very overpriced did not have a refrigerator or microwave which was very inconvenient,when front desk questioned i was told well they are on order and supposed to be here,if they arrive we will put you on the list to get one.the continental breakfast was almost non-existent and what was provided was old and stale.the bed was comfortable and the room a good size, i have traveled quite a bit over the years and i know a good hotel stay,this RATES RIGHT DOWN WITH THE WORST,WOULD NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL AGAIN..

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Surfside Beach hotels

New York
Reviewed 26 April 2010

I chose this hotel more for the location. I was doing business in the area and it was in close proximity to everything, including the beach. Some of the desk personal were a bit rude. Someone once told me that southern hospitality ended at the North Carolina border. I think they may have been right.

Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2008

Thumbs down to the poor service and lack of cooperation of this hotel. I made a reservation on the internet for a one night stay four days in advance. We had to cancel it immediately because they have a 72 hour cancellation policy (Unusual for a major chain like Choice Hotels to give themselves such a generous opportunity to keep your money). My husband tried to cancel the reservation twice that day but was put on extended hold, because we had a family emergency we could not call back until the next day. At that point no one wanted to help us even though it was two days before our stay. We were told the manager was off the next couple of days but she would call us back. She never did. I would not recommend any hotel that thinks so little of its patrons. No Southern Hospitality there.

• Disliked — Customer Service
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Hummel222
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2008

We arrived around 6 o'clock after a drive from Charleston via a visit to a plantation. So we needed somewhere to stay for the night. The hotel is on the main road and would not be my first choice for a beach holiday base. However, it was perfect for what we needed it for. We arrived seconds before it started to rain in a short, but very heavy thunderstorm downpour. Driving on the wrong side of the road with laws and signs that are unfamiliar is bad enough without driving in torrential rain! (UK driver)

The lady on reception was was very friendly and sorted us out with a room. It was shame her bike got wet. Breakfast was good, with the usual bread, waffles, friut and I think egg and grits. I had already tasted grits and with all due respect to the wonderful southern cooking I sampled, I don't think grits are one of their best. So I didn't bother with those. The hotel was clean and had a de-humidifier in the room as well as air con.

If I was in the area again I would stay there again

• Liked — It was in the right place at the right time
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
NC
Reviewed 10 September 2005

I just got through staying here and the hotel was OK. Its your typical, choice hotel, nothing special. For the money, it was great. The hotel seems fairly new, and everything inside looked pretty new. I will add the room smelt kinda musty. But, the bed was VERY comfortable, everything seemed pretty clean, and the bathroom had a whirlpool in it and i supposely got just a standard king room. Of course your not on the beach, but your maybe a mile away from it. Also, the outdoor pool is VERY small. Only 4 ft. deep. I probabaly wouldnt stay there again, but if your looking for just somewhere cheap, clean and decent, its a good hotel.

MATT

Garden City Inn
Garden City Inn
#4 of 6 in Murrells Inlet
Red Roof Inn Myrtle Beach Hotel - Market Commons

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!