“Terrible, not up to Hampton's Standards” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Greenville / Travelers Rest

Hampton Inn Greenville / Travelers Rest
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Travelers Rest
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Terrible, not up to Hampton's Standards”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2008

The wife and I went to SC over Christmas and I decided to book the Hampton based off of my previous experiences with various Hampton Inn's across the country. Without a doubt, this is the worst Hampton I have ever stayed in and the "whatever" attitude of the staff is simply unacceptable.

Check-in was quick and easy enough, although the desk attendant had little to say either way. They asked our last name, gave us our contract and keys and that was it. No small talk, nothing. The lobby was quite nice and tastefully decorated.

When we got to our room, I was very disappointed to say the least. It is in desperate need of a overhaul and updating. First the positives:

** The room was decent sized and had a computer desk with wireless access.

** Queen / King size bed with great comforter, sheets and pillows (slept great).

** A/C worked great!

Now, the negatives:

** The room had 3 telephones, 2 in the room and 1 in the bathroom. The main phone was broken and did not function at all. The other 2 phones were from the 1980's at best, the type of pushbutton phones that replaced the old rotary dialers.

** The Television had a good bit of static in the picture, but was watchable. The only movie channel (HBO) had no sound.

** The shower curtain had a considerable amount of mildew on the back of it.

** The walls were scuffed and had gouges from the chairs and the wallpaper border was peeling away from the walls.

** The room had a refrigerator, but it was not plugged up. When we got to the room, housekeeping arrived immediately after us and was cleaning the fridge with pure bleach to try to clean it. After seeing that, I decided not to even use it.

On Saturday morning, we fly to SC, and check into the Hampton early that morning. After we spent a little time in the room, I called to the front desk and asked for someone to come replace the shower curtain. They said no problem, it would be taken care of. We got back that night, nothing had been done.

On Sunday morning, I called the front desk again and told them that no one had replaced the shower curtain, and that the TV had a lot of static, and no sound on the only movie channel. Again they said it would be taken care of today. We got back that night, nothing had been done.

On Monday morning we woke up, there was a note under the door saying that to honor Christmas, all staff other than the front desk would be off that day and there would be no housekeeping or other services. I called the front desk again (3rd time) and told them I was upset that nobody had bothered to change the shower curtain, fix the TV...etc. The response was "They're all off today, be back tomorrow". I told them I was leaving tomorrow (Tuesday) so it wouldn't matter then. The response was "OK".

Late Monday night I went to the front desk to get another towel for our room. The front desk clerk was apparently upset because I had interrupted his "time" with his girlfriend and his kids. His girlfriend was sitting on the couch in the lobby, watching Jerry Springer, there was one kid playing with the vending machines and another kid was asleep in one of the chairs.

Classy.

On Tuesday when I was checking out I wanted to talk to a manager to tell them how unhappy I was with the entire stay and the "I don't care attitude" of the staff. Too bad I couldn't talk to the manager because there was no one at the desk. I waited for 5 minutes, there was nobody at the desk, nobody in the lobby...nothing. I have no idea if anybody was even at work that morning. I dropped my room keys over the counter onto the desk and just left.

I travel a lot for my job and I've stayed in all sorts of hotels, from Hamptons and LaQuintas to Hiltons and Omni's. This was the worst Hampton I've ever stayed in and the worst value for the money I've ever had. If this room had been $50 I would have understood the problems a little more (still bad, but hey...you get what you pay for). But for $110 a night, this hotel and room was simply ludicrous.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Terrible staff attitude, Poor room standards
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Freehike

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Evanston, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2007

My wife and I recently traveled to Greenville, South Carolina for a friend’s wedding. For the duration of our trip, my wife and I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Travelers Rest (a little town seven miles east of Greenville).

While the room was clean and the bed comfortable, the service was bad from the get-go:

* Before arriving, we called ahead to check if our directions were sound. The phone went unanswered.

* At check-in, we requested a room change. The front desk employee promptly replied, “No” and hurriedly explained (without apology) that the hotel was booked solid for the weekend. Even though there four cars in the hotel parking lot and it was clear that we were among the first guests to arrive, there was nothing that could be done about it.

* At one point, the toilet backed up. Fifteen minutes later, an employee knocked on our door, handed us a plunger, and promptly left without offering assistance or apology.

* On several other occasions, simple questions of staff were met with short or outright rude replies.

* After paying for our rooms at check-out, we explained to the front desk employee about how it had been a bad experience from start to finish. The reply was classic: “I’m in training, so there’s really nothing I can do about any of that.” Astounded, I took the general manager’s card and left, but not before receiving a snide and sarcastic, “Have a nice day!”

I recommend that anyone visiting the area stay well clear of this hotel. The accommodations are nice, but the service just isn't worth the expense. There are plenty of other nice hotels in the area.

• Liked — The bed was comfortable and the room was clean.
  • Disliked — The terrible customer service and prevailing "I can't help you" attitude.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank merubin75
Mobile,AL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2007

This Hampton is a good choice if you want to be near the Furman University campus. The facility is well maintained and has a pleasant and helpful staff. My room was quiet and clean. There is a small but adequate finess area on the fourth floor. There is a small outdoor pool. The breakfast area was clean with a good assortment of breakfast choices. There is Internet access if you have your lap top with you but they don't have a computer terminal in the lobby.

• Liked — Proximity to Furman University
  • Disliked — No computer terminal in lobby(there is Internet access if you have a lap top)
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
Drury Inn & Suites Greenville
Hampton Inn Greenville / I-385 Haywood Mall
La Quinta Inn & Suites Greenville Haywood
The Westin Poinsett, Greenville

Been to Hampton Inn Greenville / Travelers Rest? Share your experiences!