“Just what we wanted”

Travelers Rest / N Greenville KOA
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Clean, lovely setting, welcoming hosts, everything worked and idyllic spot. Note to other reviewers - if you want 5 star AC and carpet on the floor, why the hell are you in a campground ? Each property has it's pros and cons - have you ever tried gathering firewood and starting a fire to cook your freshly caught fish in a rock circle outside your room in the Hilton ? Something they only let you do once - if you want a great campsite, stay here - if you want your trousers pressed, stick to the Radisson

Room Tip: It is a campsite - BYO room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I spent a night here this past week on a camping road trip and can say that this is one of my favorite KOAs. It's conveniently by a highway not far from Greenville, but you would never know it -- it's in a wooded area by a creek and could be in the middle of the forest! I really appreciated the nature all around and found it to be very quiet and peaceful. I stayed in a primitive campsite and the sites were in the camping field area. The bath house was as clean as my bathroom at home. The rate for one person on a primitive campsite was $20, which I thought was very reasonable.
The best part was that though I did a late check-in, the owners and their family live on site and had seen me from their golf cart and came by to say hi and see if I needed anything. They told me they had just bought the campground a few weeks ago and were planning some improvements to the tent area. Seeing that I was camping alone as a young woman, they were kind enough to give me their personal cell phone number in case I had any problems; though even if they had not I would have felt very safe, as the other campers I saw were families on vacations.
All in all, I would highly recommend this campground if you're traveling through or if you need a little nature time!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

The best KOA I've been to! Very clean, calm, & loved the people! The people were very helpful! i had a bad headache & they gave me some of their own pain reliever. There were plenty of things to go & do! We loved our visit! Plan on going back next year! Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We had never stayed in Greenville SC area
before so it was a shot in the dark for us. I used internet to book cabin. The staff went above and beyond to make us comfortable and helped us find fun local stuff to do. For an area that is not generally a tourist destination we had a great tlme!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The air in the deluxe cabin we stayed in didn't ever really cool good. We had to sleep with just sheets so as not to get hot. Also the people in the store weren't that helpful, the posted times said 9;00 a.m. to 4;30 p.m. Well they were never there that long, and honestly who doesn't keep a store open at least till 6! It did rain the whole time we were there, and I thought the creek was pretty. The gravels we had to park on weren't the best, we like pavement to park our bikes on. We have stayed at KOA across the country, this was not close to being great.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Brian S, Public Relations Manager at Travelers Rest / N Greenville KOA, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

Hello Alice, I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience in our log cabins. We've been having ongoing discussions with the manufacturer on how to put in an additional air conditioning unit to better cool the back bedrooms and we promise to find the best solution possible. Our store is open from 9am-5pm although it does close once in awhile for our staff to escort campers to their site or help with a maintenance issue. We've looked at expanding the hours and will continue to adjust them as needed by our campers. We definitely appreciate your honest review.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

We reserved a full hook up site 9 months in advance and Mark promised us a site near the office and bathrooms as we did not have a self contained camper. When we arrived the park was full and we were put in the tent area since we had a motorcycle pop-up camper. Unfortunately the tent area turned out to be a storm wash area. After 3 days and nights of water and mud flowing through our camper we had to leave due to the damage to our camper leaving it unusable. Mark refused to refund our remaining nights stay. In addition to this the pool was dirty and never open, bathrooms were dirty and not resupplied, and wifi was only assessable at the office, which has limited hours. How this became a KOA I will never know. It is substandard and I would not recommend it to anyone. I would give it zero stars if that were an option.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Cheryl W

Hello Cheryl, I'm so sorry to hear about your bad experience at our campground. Since we became a KOA last year we have been working hard to fix the drainage issues we have during periods of heavy rain and it has gotten much better. We do our best to honor site requests and will definitely look into making it more transparent for future guests. If you had a specific site promised to you then there is no excuse for it not being available when you arrived. As we mentioned in a previous review, our pool pump and filter have been giving us issues for a few weeks which has been unacceptable to us from a customer service perspective. Everything should be back up and running soon as we are just waiting on parts. Finally, with regards to the bathroom, we'll adjust our cleaning schedules to ensure this never happens again and we appreciate you bringing it to our attention. Often at busy periods we are unable to clean as frequently as we should so it may be necessary for us to hire additional staff. I appreciate you being so honest with us in your review, these are the responses we need to become a better campground.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed at the Travelers Rest KOA as it was the closest to Greer. We were at the back end of the campground our site was pretty level and nicely laid out. We enjoyed our stay and will most likely stay there again. The only issue was getting into the campground, as it required a U-Turn, difficult when towing a vehicle, not something the KOA can do anything about.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for your lovely review Shari. That's one of our biggest issues is that u-turn for people coming off the highway. We'll continue to work with the city and see if that can be solved in the future and try to provide updated driving directions that allow big rigs to arrive from the opposite direction. Hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Travelers Rest
Best Western Travelers Rest/Greenville
Hampton Inn Greenville / Travelers Rest
Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville - Downtown - Riverplace
Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville Airport
Drury Inn & Suites Greenville
The Westin Poinsett, Greenville

Been to Travelers Rest / N Greenville KOA? Share your experiences!