“Great option in the area for travelers non-chain”

Los Abuelitos Mexican Restaurant
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Exit 53 off hwy I-95 SC
Description: Exit 53 off hwy I-95 SC
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Traveling with 3 kids and a dog to Florida and didn't want to go to a restaurant for sit-down or eat more fast food. This place is right off the highway next to the hotels and it's not a chain, but a family owned small business. On Friday night, it was packed with locals. The food was pretty good, though there were some non-authentic things that I wasn't a fan of (ie mushroom spinach quesadilla - probably for the vegetarians that come through). The rice and beans, tacos, and other things we got were all very good as were the homemade chips and salsa. They were quick to get me a takeout order and everyone worked together as a team to service the guests.

Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Okay we only stopped here because of the reviews. We are not from the south and have not had any good authentic Mexican food in the south. But after seeing some vegetable stands with fresh chilies for sale in the area, we thought okay maybe there will be some good food nearby. We've learned to ask questions about preparation at Mexican restaurants in the south before ordering because we've been so disappointed before. When we were told that white American cheese is used for all items we were completely turned off. Never have I had Mexican food made with white American. That was indication enough for me that this was not authentic and didn't order anything further past an appetizer, guacamole, which was average. I think the people who reviewed this place haven't really had good Mexican food. Go to southern California and try the best!

4  Thank Springster
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We've been going here well over a year and a half now and are so glad we tried it out. They have the best grilled chicken taco salad I've ever had. Their cheese dip also exceeds all others in price and taste. My husband gets the chori pollo each time and its always better than the last. I'd advise anyone to make a stop by here if they can!

Reviewed 20 September 2013

Good for the price. Local owners. Great for an I 95 place. The "grandparents " tells a Lot. We shared the fajitas for one and it was ample for elders. Waitress looked poor, so leave a good tip. She tries hard.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Hubby and I stopped tonight at Los Abuelitos Mexican Restaurant based entirely on Trip Advisor reviews. THANKS everyone!!!
You were right and Los Abuelitos deserved their high ratings! It was a Tuesday night, and there were only 5 other tables occupied, and we had immediate and great service! Thanks, Elena! We had the 27 oz Texas Margaritas...which were awesome! Not too much ice, and we totally "felt" them...something not often done with margaritas. I think they were $8? I had the shrimp/scallop fajita - YUM! I opted OUT of the refried beans, and instead substituted guacamole. All was delicious. Hubby went for the beef taco salad and two tacos on the side. He loved everything.
We won't hesitating visiting Los Abuelitos again!

1  Thank janconover