“SECURITY WARNING: GUNSHOT AT THE HOTEL”

Best Western of Walterboro
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Walterboro
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is my 1st hotel review. I feel compelled to inform and warn other travelers. My 10-year old daughter and I heard panicked screams, then a single gunshot, followed by more frantic screaming as we were going up the stairs to our room. This took place within no more then 20-30 feet of us in the courtyard area of the hotel in daylight. We immediately left the premises of the hotel and the area, forgoing our reserved room. I contacted best western to report the incident as we were driving away along I-95. The representative was powerless to do anything but try to book another room for us, which we ended up not booking. I was told to call customer care the following day to report the incident. I did just that. The representative put me on hold for less then 5 min. to "investigate" what happened at the hotel. After he came back on the line, he said that he spoke with the hotel manager (not the same manager that was present the night before), he is now convinced that I heard fireworks going off at a nearby hotel. I told him that as a result of my professional career I am well aware of the difference between fireworks and gunshots. Despite that fact, he did not refund our $90+ room. It took several other phone calls to the Best Western management to get our money back. Needless to say, the management still attempted to discredit my statement siting the nearby fireworks. Please be warned!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
GPMgr, General Manager at Best Western of Walterboro, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel.
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations when you last stayed. The noise that was heard that night was fireworks and we are very sorry for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Your satisfaction is important to us and you can be assured that this will not occur again.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The place is not a terrible place to stay, but I will not give my money to people won't don't care one bit about their customers. I'm sure if you stay here when you have no customer-service related issues, you won't be disappointed. I was going to review this place at 4 stars when I first checked in.
Upon arrival, I was met by a very friendly woman who even wanted to make sure that my room choice would suit our party. Her title was "manager". Our room smelled clean (I will not sleep in a room that smells like mildew) and could have been just a little cleaner in certain spots that people don't usually look, but that's to be expected here. We had tons of towels and wash cloths. The pool was clean. The grounds were impressively maintained for this sort of establishment. We had really friendly neighbors all around us.That's about where the good stuff stops.
Around 10pm, a HUGE group of people showed up. They were of all age ranges, and were being very loud. That would have been fine, had they quieted down, but then some sort of party began. Not only that, but a group of them started shrieking and spraying bug spray all around outside because they saw some caterpillars (I'm imagining them coming on here complaining the hotel has a "bug problem"). The front desk night manager later confirmed that she gave the guests the bug spray. If a guest told me they had a bug problem, I'd go check it out, not hand them a can of poison to dispatch at will. Anyway, after almost an hour I called the front desk (there is no way they didn't hear it). The night manager said she'd see what she could do. I'm a pretty out-spoken person, but when I'm outnumbered by a rowdy group of people I'm not going to try to take matters into my own hands. She did not come out of the office for quite some time. So now it's been about an hour and a half of this block party going on. By that time they had sort of retired to their over-flowing rooms, but were still in and out and yelling from downstairs to upstairs. The manager came out like I said, looked around, and went back in. Since nothing was done, my husband offered to go to the office to get the owner's name and number since I was wearing my pajamas. The woman at the desk said that's "private". Really? Because I just checked into another one tonight (where I'm writing this review from), and the owner's cell, fax, and address are on business cards. I guess the difference is that he actually cares. The next morning, our neighbors with a dog actually apologized to me for their dog barking at the noise. Nice of them to do, but the dog was quiet until the party bus rolled in.
After that whole ordeal, we checked out the next morning to continue on our way. Another "manager" was at the front desk (how many managers are in this place??). She asked, like a drone, how my stay was. I started off with "fine", but she interrupted me and then picked up the phone. No, "Thanks for staying", no smile, not even any eye contact. I actually stood there for a few seconds because I wasn't sure whether or not she checked me out. There are plenty of other hotels in the area, and they are the ones that will be getting my money twice a year from now on.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gma17

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at our property.
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations during your stay and are very sorry for any inconvenience you experienced. Your satisfaction is important to us and you can always be assured that we strive to do the best service for all of our guests like you.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this Best Western on our annual trip to the Smoky Mountains. We chose it because of its great reviews, price and the fact that it was pet friendly. It also had great convenience to I95.

We were not disappointed by the experience. The rooms were very clean (we had the 2-room queen suite on the 2nd floor with a pool view). The extra room was welcome with 2 kids and a ridiculously large dog. The only problem we encountered was that our dog could not navigate the steps due to an inherent lack of intelligence and suspected inbreeding. (Obviously no fault of the hotel)

The kids used the pool, which was very clean and had a great seating area for the parents. It was also open until 10, which is great in the summer when it gets dark late. We got take-out from Ruby Tuesdays which was right next door. There is definitely a lack of dining options at this exit, so a good idea would be to eat before you arrive unless you also want to be subjected to the abhorrently average food of Ruby Tuesday.

Overall we were very happy with the staff, service, location and cleanliness of this hotel and will definitely be stopping here again on our way to the mountains next time.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Gwendolyn M

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at the Best Western hotel in Walterboro, South Carolina during your trip to the mountains. We are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and cannot thank you enough for recommending our clean and comfortable rooms, great location and professional staff to fellow travelers. Thank you again for your business and look forward to seeing you the next time your travel plans bring you to our area.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

BW Walterboro is located close to the highway and a myriad of eating places. The hotel is spotless, well maintained, quiet, and the rooms comfortable, very clean, and without a hint of smoke smell. The Wifi is one of the fastest I've experienced. It boasts, in my opinion, the cleanest, most well stocked, seriously well looked after breakfast areas of all BWs. I recommend this BW location without hesitation.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Fernando R

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel.
We appreciate your business and value your feedback on our clean and comfortable accommodations. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback like yours and we hope your next visit will be even more pleasant than the previous one.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Otherwise had no complaints. Hotel more than met expectations, except that the mold/mildew smell in the room was overpowering. Also, using a handicapped room with a roll-in shower, we found that there was no soap dish at all---not even a place on the grab bar that the tiny soap bar and shampoo bottle could be propped.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ronal N

Thank you for the comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel.
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations in the guestroom. Normally, rooms are assigned as reservations are made at the hotel and we are very sorry for any inconvenience you experienced with the overpowering odor during your stay. Your satisfaction is important to us and you can always make requests at the time of your reservation or check in at our hotel.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I've stayed here a number of times and it's always been fine; typical of a Best Western. Nice rooms, fair rate, good service, good coffee in the morning. Tonight the clerk told us the rate would be way higher than we've ever paid before. My wife gave her our rewards card and she pretty much ignored it until my wife insisted. The card indicates AAA/AARP/etc. discounts. Be sure to mention any affiliations you have to get a discount! The clerks have always been very sharp in past stays, but the service only rates an "average" this time. We'll be back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback to fellow members regarding your recent stay at our hotel.
We appreciate and value your comments on our accommodations and service and will share it with our team. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback like yours.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Very clean rooms and appear to be new. They allowed my dog which was a major reason of selecting this hotel. I was glad we did stay here because there was a big area where my Golden Retriever was able to get some exercise and run a little after traveling. The grounds were well kept and everything in general was very nice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for staying with us at the Best Western of Walterboro, South Carolina.
We appreciate your business and the wonderful comments you shared with fellow travelers about your stay. We look forward to seeing you along with your Golden Retriever soon again!

Best Western Of Walterboro Management Team