“Disappointing.”

Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Walterboro
south hill
“Disappointing.”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is no way a three star hotel. It was filthy, The staff were friendly but the place was nasty. We had to leave. Their advertisiments were very misleading. Their hot breakfast was just coffee and tea. The pool was closed. Carpet was wet mildew smell. We were very disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed 5 July 2014

A Mom & Pop category winner! Why pay 2-3 times the amount at the chains when these folks provide the same if not even better.

Not sure that all rooms are upgraded but, #101 sure worked for us for 5 nights as we explored Charleston (50 mins) and surroundings.

Large rooms, very quiet off the road, super clean, good mattress/pillows, frig/micro, quiet A/C, flat screen TV and a great working WIFI, and even a pool. Very friendly and helpful staff. What's NOT to like.

Check it out, bet you'll check in.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank financecounselor
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Well I've written 3 reviews about this place so far and this site has either deleted them or some other excuse. Maybe they'll show up. I'm thinking any negative reviews about this sites revenue producers gets the axe! Since I have no desire or time to write a detailed review I'll keep it simple. I was overrun by ticks at this disgusting place and the staff didn't care one bit. Avoid this place at all costs! It's costs me 100's of dollars to rid my belongings of the ticks since my stay here. This place is utterly disgusting and should be condemned. The owners should be ashamed. Bodily and sexual fluid discharges on the bed spreads!! Sticky surfaces. Stained linen. Non working electrical items,everything about it is disgusting. I would have rather slept outside on the ground.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Paul M

Travellers are raving about these Walterboro hotels

St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I was driving north on I-95, and decided to pull over for the night. I didn't have a reservation, but I knew I was looking for something cheap.

I found it.

I pulled in about 10:45pm, and walked into the office. A woman, whose name I failed to get, welcomed me. I needed a single room, I told her, and how much might that be?

"$36.67".

Sign me up.

The room was bright and clean, if not sparsely appointed. There were two double beds, a dresser, and a mildly wobbly table. The furniture was a bit dated. There was no coffee maker, which is a big negative for me, but the morning coffee was only a short walk away, brewing in the office.

The television worked fine, although the wall mount didn't allow for the television to rotate. The air conditioning worked very well. The shower had excellent pressure and got nice and hot. The bed was comfortable and the pillows are firm.

Now, lest you think this is the next best thing to the Ritz-Carlton, reign in that thought; it's not. There are some issues.

The rack in the sink area was unusable, as the top portion of it was pulling out of the wall. The room doesn't have curtains, only blinds. What this means is that blocking out the morning light, or the light from the exterior lights, isn't happening. It didn't keep me awake, but I like my hotel room to be dark when I sleep, and this one wasn't.

To other issues in the bathroom: There was a bar of used soap on the counter (the kind of soap housekeeping would leave), and the counter was wet beneath and around it. I was so tired when I checked in I didn't notice it, but I noticed it this morning. Also, there was an unusual bug; one of those bugs that you'll only find in the south, dead on the floor. I suppose it could've wandered its way in at some point during the night (there's a slight gap under the door), but I dunno'.

Would I stay here again? Yeah, I think I would. I was looking for price, and I found it. I knew I wouldn't be getting a Hilton-esque room. For the price, it was fine. It's also an easy off/on to I-95.

One other thing: If you stay here and need to gas up before you leave, they front desk will give you a card which gets you ten cents off per gallon at three area gas stations. A king's ransom it's not, but still.

So, take this for what it is. It's cheap, it's comfortable, but it has some issues...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank SteveParr
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My husband and I stopped on our way to Savannah. We left after work on a Friday for our trip down and hated to spend a lot of money on a hotel we would not even arrive in until 12:00 so we stopped at the Rice Planters. The rooms were old but clean and the clerk was very friendly and helpful. This is not the Hilton but if you just need a nights sleep the price is right. As long as you are not expecting anything fancy you won't be disappointed. We will stop again on our next trip down to Savannah. Good value but keep in mind you do get what you pay for and the rooms are cheap!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
DLemacks, General Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Becaouse our rooms are dated, we do try to provide our guests with a clean, affordable room. Thank you for the your review. Please let us know who you are when you visit again, so that we can thank you personally.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We were travelling back from Florida and we were desperate for a room as every hotel along the way was full. We managed to snag a room at this hotel but changed our mind the second after stepping in. The room stank of cigarette smoke. The smell had seeped into every surface making it hard to breathe. Blankets looked old and ratty. There was a ziploc bag wrapped around the door knob. It looked like a scene from a horror movie. Fortunately we were able to get a refund from the nice desk clerk.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car! Just joking. Always make a hotel booking in advance so you don't get stuck wi...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Megandco
I am so sorry for your inconvenience. It is a non-smolkiing room. I hope that our desk clerk offered you the opportunity to check out one of our other 75 rooms. We are a dated motel, but we do strive to provide a clean room at an affordable rate. Unfortunately, we did not do our job well in this case. Unfortunately, the guest who stayed the previous night did not respect our wishes to not smoke in a non-smoking room. I can hope that you may try us again in the future, but as you said, check the room first. I want to see each of guests satisfied with their accomadations.
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I called to book the room by cell phone while driving north on I 95. I spoke with Gail and she confirmed that she would hold a room for me. When I arrived at about 10 PM she greeted me by name, Nice Lady. I had stayed at the Rice Planters Inn back in the 90s and really enjoyed my stay. In recognizing that 20 years has elapsed I was a bit unsure what I was in for with the price being so reasonable.

When I saw the lobby was clean and tidy I did not feel the need to check the room before registering . Room was clean, bed was comfotable and the maid aervice did'nt bang on the door the next morning. Great service. Thanks Gail.

Ron

Room Tip: Breakfast is included at a nearby spot
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business